BOND: Ceiling Fan Light Dimmer + Insteon 6 keypad

PhoneGuy

I did some searching and can't really find the answer I am looking for.  I used to have some Fanlinc devices but went away from them after 2 of them died on me.  I moved over to Bond controller for my current fans and have had no issues. I recently moved and my wife decided she likes having bedroom light dimmers.  Does the Bond units work as dimmers for the lights using the 6 button wall controls?

Seems like the light control is ON/OFF; don't see a way to set it to a level.  You can set levels to fan (and direction for that matter).  I use my Bond with two fans with down lights and have two separate 8 button KPLs for each room fan.   I have buttons setup for each fan speed and to switch directions; and to turn the light on/off via scenes.  Can't say I've seen a way to control light level from ISY -> BOND.  Can obviously do it on the BOND app so sounds like there is a way just not exposed in the API maybe or at least not available in the Node Server

For the node server (plugin) to control the brightness, the Bond bridge has to report a SetBrightness command for the light. This depends on the remote template used to control your fan. Just simple “bright up” and “dim down” commands don’t work for lights without discrete brightness setting, because Bond only supports a start fade and stop fade approach for those lights which doesn’t implement easily or work well with, e.g., Insteon->IoX->plugin->Bond communication.

Edited by Goose66
On 12/4/2023 at 1:31 PM, Goose66 said:

because Bond only supports a start fade and stop fade approach for those lights which doesn’t implement easily or work well with, e.g., Insteon->IoX->plugin->Bond communication

As an aside, a long time ago, before the Bond NS days (so we're talking Networking Resources), I had a long press (or was it double press) of an Insteon switch to start the dimming command via Bond API calls (from the ISY), just running continuously until a repeated long press (or double press) from Insteon was detected - then the ISY would send the 'stop transmitting' command. 
The ceiling fan I used this on would ramp up and down brightness in a cycle, and then would stop in less than 1 second from the time the Insteon KPL or switch was long pressed / double pressed to the time the Bond Bridge received the API command from ISY and executed the 'stop transmitting'.
With that particular ceiling fan, the brightness steps were slow enough that the <1 second was effectively very very close to real-time, relatively speaking. Only rarely would I mistime the Insteon press and therefore not get the dim level I wanted.

Just saying, the delay from Insteon -> IoX -> plugin (NS) -> Bond might not be as bad as you suspect. 🤔

• Like 1