Recommend a Weather Web Service

Flex

I just got upgraded from the ISY994 to my Polisy/ISY, and now have started using some node servers. I would like to add one for weather updates. But which of the services work best, where I could get one update every 6 to 20 minutes, for the Great Lakes area. I would prefer a service that is inexpensive or better yet free. Consider the cost of the service and node server with regard to reliability, capability, and stable API. There’s Aerisweather, Ambient weather, NOAA, plus others. I have not used any of these. I do not have a personal weather station such as Davis. I’m thinking of starting out with NOAA. I have looked at a couple of them, but still don’t know which would serve the best. I would like to know what others have experienced.

Thanks

12 hours ago, Flex said:

I just got upgraded from the ISY994 to my Polisy/ISY, and now have started using some node servers. I would like to add one for weather updates. But which of the services work best, where I could get one update every 6 to 20 minutes, for the Great Lakes area. I would prefer a service that is inexpensive or better yet free. Consider the cost of the service and node server with regard to reliability, capability, and stable API. There’s Aerisweather, Ambient weather, NOAA, plus others. I have not used any of these. I do not have a personal weather station such as Davis. I’m thinking of starting out with NOAA. I have looked at a couple of them, but still don’t know which would serve the best. I would like to know what others have experienced.

Thanks

Your best bet would be to take advantage of the free trial period for the plugins (formerly node servers).

There are plugins for various personal weather stations and plugins for various weather data services.  Since you don't have a personal weather station you're going to want one of the services based plugins.

There's AERISWeather, Climacell, NOAA, OpenWeatherMap, and WeatherBit

They're all basically the same with slight differences.  Your best bet is to first determine what specific weather data you need then go to each service's site and look at what they provide.  That information should also be available in the plugin's description.  I believe AERISWeather is the only one that doesn't have a free subscription plan.  

One of the main differences between the various services is how often they allow you to query for the weather data with the free subscriptions and how often they actually update their data.

• 1 month later...

Okay, thanks, The nearest airport though is 50 miles from here. I haven't tried anything yet but OpenWeatherMap is still likely the top contender still.