eISYIR Setup - Learning Codes

CLipman

Reaching out for some help in setting up eISYIR for the first time.

I've been using ISY994 for a long time, 'just moved to eisy.  'Really want to restore the old 994 IR functionality using eISYIR + FLIRC - in other words, send commands to the eisy using my harmony remote (without the harmony hub).

But I need help.  I'm stumped.  TBH, feeling a bit humbled in what feels like should be a simple process, and I'm a pretty techy kinda guy.  But I'm not feeling very techy right now, cause I can't get this to detect the IR commands.  I'm feeling a bit of a lesser person right now, so I'm hoping I can get some help here.  I think therapists might also be able to help here, but I'm in the wrong forum for that - so I'll revert back to the tech q.

It seems like everything is working correctly - but "Once you trigger key press with your remote, node server will create a node for that key" isn't working from what I can tell.

eISYIR is installed and UD admin console shows the controller is online.  From PG3 dashboard, I go to details and eISYIR seems to be fine (recent log file attached).  

I've installed the FLIRC software on my PC and have loaded the profile from this forum post (and updated the FLIRC firmware): 

No change.  So it's either not working, or I'm not seeing that it is working... stumped.

So, some questions:

1. once it's working properly and the commands have been learned, where will I see the list of commands?  Will it be only via the PG3 interface, or should I also see branches in the UD Admin console (assume the latter, but maybe both?) - can anyone share some screen shots of how it shows in their system?
  2. Is anything needed to put the FLIRC into learning mode?  When I placed my IR in front of the FLIRC, I don't see any response from the eISYIR (I have confirmed my remote is working - my TV responds).
  3. The eISYIR instructions did not say SSH commands are needed when used with eisy... so I didn't...  should I?
  4. Any other ideas?

I'd really appreciate any/ all the help I can get here!  

TIA

Cliff

eISYIR_12-30-2023_40631_PM.zip

It has been a long  time since I set this up but my first thought on what you said is I don't think the harmony remote sends IR I think it sends RF commands to the hub and the hub sends the IR commands. When button presses are added they show up in the AC also.  From what I remember the codes you are going to use need to be loaded to the Flirc from a computer to be used in ISY.

10 minutes ago, CLipman said:

Thanks, @tazman - and i have to admit, your response definitely made me think twice here...  But I double-checked that my remote is the Harmony Elite which is IR.  Thinking a bit more on this, it's the same remote that worked with the ISY994 which was also IR-based (not RF).

The Harmony Elite is typically RF between the remote and hub; and then IR between hub and devices (using the IR emitters attached to the hub).  It can also be IP between the hub and devices depending how you set it up.  Not sure if you can get IR directly out of the hand held remote or not, but that shouldn't matter.  Assuming you have it setup the same as you did with the ISY, you should have some sort of IR emitter/blaster pointed at the FLIRC (instead of the ISY).

If possible, I would plug in the FLIRC to a PC and try to learn the codes from your Harmony remote into FLIRC using the FLIRC s/w vs the file I created; just to make sure your Harmony setup is sending IR codes as you expect.  Alternately, you could try to learn a few codes from any generic TV remote (with the FLIRC plugged into the PC) and then try to add those buttons to the eisy/admin console just as a debugging process.

Thanks again @gzahar!!  'Really appreciate the quick replies.

I've already confirmed the remote works when plugged in to the PC (I had tested this based on one of your replies to an old post :) ).  I used the PC software to learn the basic up/ down/ left right/ etc commands by pressing the buttons on the remote.

Q for you - it's not clear to me **where** the commands will show once they are properly loaded... Will I see them in the UD Admin Console, PG3 web UI, or?  Can you send a screen shot of how they show?

So... when I plugged the FLIRC into my PC and used the FLIRC software, I worked it alot more, including the command line and clearing the FLIRC config.  That seemed to help, as ONE IR command was learned when connected to eisy.  But, not all commands are being detected from my harmony remote.  I ended up with only the really basic commands (up/down/left/right/enter/ etc).  From what I can best tell, the FLIRC only recognizes some IR commands, and not all.

ISY994 had a great IR setup and worked really well with harmony remotes, easy to use/ setup/ etc.  At this point seems that the FLIRC just does things differently (and it won't detect the ISY994 codes that were used with the MyHarmony remotes :(). 

If anyone has had luck with the FLIRC learning the IR codes from the ISY994 (with MyHarmony), please share!

Ciff

• 2 weeks later...

So i've made progress.  Using myHarmony, I've setup the remote using the old ISY994 IR codes.  Using the FLIRC software on a PC, I then taught the USB IR receiver the codes for keyboard presses 1-9, by clicked the screen prompts on the remote for IR001-IR040 - and now my USB receiver has codes in it!

I then plugged the IR dongle into the eisy and, using the log feature in the PG3 window for eisyIR, I figured out which code corresponds to which value on the remote's screen.

Better yet, in the eisy admin console, I see the eisy respond when I press the corresponding screen option on the remote - so I now have the remote interfacing with the eisy and using the screen prompts that I wanted.

thanks for the help from this forum!

• Like 1