Home Assistant Overlaid Over EISY

On 2/10/2024 at 4:23 PM, mapeter said:

What are people's experiences with the RAM setting?  Is 1GB good enough for HA?  Will specifying 2GB steal too much from IoX and PG3?

I have not set up the HA VM yet, but I checked HA running on my PI4, and it's using 1.5G, so I'll probably set the VM to 2G.

The eisy only has 8G, and since I don't have any node running, it's currently using only 3.4G. so there should be room to borrow 2G.

Ideally, I'd like to give even more memory to HA, since most of my complex automations are run from HA (node red is super powerful compared to if-then programs on IoX)

@Michel Kohanim A large portion of the 3.4G memory usage on eisy seems to be from the node server. If I don't have any nodes, is that something I can disable, or does it always have to be running for IoX to work?

Edited by stevesreed
23 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

sudo service pg3 stop 

In /etc/rc.conf, you can then set:

POLYGLOT_ENABLE="NO"

Thanks.

That kills the node process, but editing rc.conf does not seem to stop it from restating on the next reboot. though the overall memory usage seems to be down now. I'll see if it goes up over time.

last pid:  4593;  load averages:  0.19,  0.16,  0.08                                     up 0+00:05:27  07:01:41
41 processes:  1 running, 40 sleeping
CPU:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.1% system,  0.0% interrupt, 99.9% idle
Mem: 184M Active, 98M Inact, 23M Laundry, 599M Wired, 6730M Free
ARC: 123M Total, 21M MFU, 89M MRU, 219K Anon, 1447K Header, 8165K Other
     85M Compressed, 210M Uncompressed, 2.48:1 Ratio
Swap: 4096M Total, 4096M Free

PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    C   TIME    WCPU COMMAND
 1898 isy          30  20    0   256M    86M nanslp   2   0:08   0.63% isy-freebsd-x64
 2636 isy           1  20    0    31M    18M select   2   0:00   0.05% mosquitto
 1206 nobody        1  20    0    20M  7716K select   0   0:00   0.04% mosquitto
 3430 polyglot     11  20    0  4459M   124M kqread   2   0:01   0.03% node
 3469 admin         1  20    0    14M  3764K CPU2     2   0:00   0.02% top
 1549 root          6  52    0    81M    15M uwait    1   0:00   0.01% udx-freebsd-x64
 1186 ntpd          1  20    0    21M  5396K select   2   0:00   0.01% ntpd

Edited by stevesreed

I was trying the suggestion from @ndfan77, to get past the issue without renaming the /usr/local/etc/pkg to get past the no packages available issue when running the script.

pkg: No packages available to install matching 'vm-bhyve' have been found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'edk2-bhyve' have been found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'wget' have been found in the repositories
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'qemu-tools' have been found in the repositories 

1 hour ago, stevesreed said:

I'm stuck on the no package available issue as well.
I tried "sudo pkg refresh -f", but I get:

"pkg: unknown command: refresh"

So I'm stuck.

That's embarrassing.  I'm either losing it or getting a little "command dyslexic".  I searched my Eisy command history for "pkg refresh" and came up empty.  I searched the command history on my separate sandbox FreeBSD vm and found quite a few:

pkg update -f

Maybe try that?

P.S.  Glad I'm not the only one with psuedo communication errors when invoking pkg...! :) 

Edited by ndfan77
1 minute ago, Michel Kohanim said:

I am not sure I understand why you wouldn't have the correct pkg repos. vm-bhyve is a very well known package from FreeBSD repo. Have you changed those? If not, are you sure you have access to the internet?

With kind regards,
Michel

He's apparently got the "wonky" pkg repository database problem too (that isn't a communication issue).  I'd bet a steak dinner that if he does this it straightens out:

sudo bash
mv /usr/local/etc/pkg /usr/local/etc/pkg.temp
pkg search wget
mv /usr/local/etc/pkg.temp /usr/local/etc/pkg
pkg search wget
exit

But it'd be interesting to know if "pkg update -f" has a positive effect first.

18 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@ndfan77,

I need to know the contents of:

cat /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/FreeBSD.conf 

With kind regards,
Michel

My issue with pkg (which was doing exactly what @stevesreedquoted above) straightened out immediately after I did the temporary rename of /usr/local/etc/pkg reported here (and has been fine since).   

Here's the contents of my FreeBSD.conf:

image.thumb.png.9e3a5ed379b85e5e8c7ab67f4059b7df.png

P.S.  It was only my second (follow-on) post that mistakenly referenced "pkg refresh -f" instead of "pkg update -f".  I just corrected it.

Edited by ndfan77
  • Like 1

Quick update:

After using pkg update -f. I ran the script again, modified for 4GB memory and 500G disk space, and it worked perfectly.

I restored a current back up from the RPi4 HA setup and it worked perfectly. All integrations, including HACS integrations, and add ons, automations, etc.  just worked, no adjustments needed. And HA seems faster than previously on the RPi4.

I've now removed the RPi from my network altogether, and have IoX and HA running on eisy for a nice, clean, one box solution.

Very cool!

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@ndfan77,

This is great. What's the issue now?

I don't believe there is one other than whether "pkg update -f" should be added to the helper script before the "pkg install ...." statement:

echo "Refreshing package databases..."
pkg update -f
echo "Installing necessary packages..."
pkg install -y vm-bhyve edk2-bhyve wget qemu-tools

11 hours ago, Michel Kohanim said:

@carealtor,

It's possible but I am not sure how to deal with support as we are (nor do we have resources) to address HA installation/configuration issues. 

Also, considering the cost of NVMe to be at least $74, it would make the cost of eisy astronomical. 

But if there's enough demand, we'll definitely consider.

With kind regards,
Michel

Count me interested.  I promise I won't ask for HA support. 😁

• Like 1