Has my ISY994i aged out?

Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I set up my home automation many years ago (10 or more?). I added a bunch of Insteon lights, thermostats, and motion sensors and wrote code to integrate them with my life. The Universal Devices ISY994 has served me well! I've seen, and ignored, emails about new hardware. I didn't want to break what was working perfectly.

Yesterday, when I asked Alexa to turn off my office lights, she replied, "Sorry, the hub that device office lights connected to is not responding. Please check its network connection and power supply." I gave her a day to recover. She hasn't.

I powered down and restarted my Alexa device and the ISY994. Same results. Noteworthy, the Insteon motion sensors still work.

So I attempted to access the UD Console by launching, "Click to launch console.jnlp". A window came up, titled "IoX Finder : Not Found". An error box on top of that reported "Not Found". I could see the "Java(TM) Web Launcher (32 bit)" in the Windows Task Manager.

Granted, I'm hopelessly behind the times when it comes to the UD system. It has been at least a year since I even opened the Console. For me, the UD is an appliance rather than a hobby.

Can someone point me toward a solution?

Thanks!

Not really enough information, but is your Portal subscription expired? All of the intermittent UD issues I've had with Echo's were due to Amazon changing something. 

If not your Portal subscription, I would try relinking the skill. If that doesn't work, try deleting and redo the skill.

Not updating in ten years could also be an issue. 🤨

• Like 1
  • Solution
33 minutes ago, Sachelis said:

Yesterday, when I asked Alexa to turn off my office lights, she replied, "Sorry, the hub that device office lights connected to is not responding. Please check its network connection and power supply." I gave her a day to recover. She hasn't.

As @auger66 points out it's probably the portal subscription has expired. 

3 minutes ago, auger66 said:

is your Portal subscription expired?

Check by logging into the portal (my.isy.io) and then follow the image for License Information

image.png

Renew that for a year or two. Note the rate did increase in the last year (or so). But still a deal by any means!

36 minutes ago, Sachelis said:

So I attempted to access the UD Console by launching, "Click to launch console.jnlp". A window came up, titled "IoX Finder : Not Found". An error box on top of that reported "Not Found". I could see the "Java(TM) Web Launcher (32 bit)" in the Windows Task Manager.

This sounds like you've had a Java update and it wiped out the link with the shortcut on the desktop.

To resolve this follow these steps:

• Clear Java Cache (temporary internet files)
    • Check all three boxes!
    • image.png
    • The 3rd box will/should delete the desktop icon (if you have iox launcher on the desktop). If it doesn't just delete it. You mention "Click to launch console.jnlp", not sure where that came from or how old that is. The "IoX Launcher" method has been around since 2018 and the preferred method since browsers dropped Java support.
  • Make sure Java is up to date
  • Delete any start.jnlp or admin.jnlp files you have on your system
  • Download a new start.jnlp file from UDI website
  • Run "start.jnlp" and accept any Java warnings
  • This should add the icon to the desktop for "IoX Launcher"
    • image.png
  • Run IoX Launcher and you should now get a window showing as "IoX Finder". If you're local to the ISY994 it should auto populate, but if it doesn't you would need to add it manually.

More information can be found in the UDI Wiki should you need more help:

http://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Post back and let us know how it's going.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Sachelis said:

The Universal Devices ISY994 has served me well! I've seen, and ignored, emails about new hardware. I didn't want to break what was working perfectly.

Note to add: for some the ISY994 will continue work just fine. The new hardware adds a lot of additional functionality, but for those that have a system working for them and not looking for expansion(s) the ISY994 will remain a reliable controller. Just understand, as with all aging technology, the possibility for failure is there. 

• Like 1