Open Discussion: Themostats - what is working with EISY?

Kentinada

One more thought if this is relevant to your decision:  

Venstar API is local. I am free from and service/cloud dependency.  I'm not opposed to using one, but we all know services shut down or change their business models, nodeservers get abandoned, etc.  Skyport is there if I wanted some cloud-baed vendor-supported tool, but separate from the API access which is on-device. 

Isn't ecobee reliant on a cloud connection to their servers? I've never used them so I could be mistaken, but when I was looking at them I recall that was an option- they have a cloud service which they are pushing people into to get some "security" functions out of the sensors (motion, window monitoring, etc). That required a subscription to enable and I didn't find that appealing. 

Also if you do go ecobee- look at your utility provider- many have discounts for purchasing a "smart" device through them and lots partner with ecobee or nest.

Pay up front, pay later, or pay with your data. 

@Scott Korvek all valid comments and things to think about. To use the Venstar API, I have to have the skill to write some code to use it - correct? I might be past that at this point. They do offer Skyport although I have not looked at subscription costs. That is a really good thing to factor into this equation: cloud service subscription fees and node server fees. Thanks.

16 hours ago, Scott Korvek said:

One more thought if this is relevant to your decision:  

Venstar API is local. I am free from and service/cloud dependency.  I'm not opposed to using one, but we all know services shut down or change their business models, nodeservers get abandoned, etc.  Skyport is there if I wanted some cloud-baed vendor-supported tool, but separate from the API access which is on-device. 

Isn't ecobee reliant on a cloud connection to their servers? I've never used them so I could be mistaken, but when I was looking at them I recall that was an option- they have a cloud service which they are pushing people into to get some "security" functions out of the sensors (motion, window monitoring, etc). That required a subscription to enable and I didn't find that appealing. 

Also if you do go ecobee- look at your utility provider- many have discounts for purchasing a "smart" device through them and lots partner with ecobee or nest.

Pay up front, pay later, or pay with your data. 

I'm not as wary of ecobee being cloud since ecobee as company has proven to be open and friendly to integrators with their open API and no fees to use it. They may have fees for their smarthome garden (don't use it so I don't know), but none for API access and basic thermostat use.

In addition, they have shown a willingness for long term support for their line of thermostats. For example, my sister has my original first Gen ecobee 3 from 2014. It still works manually, via the app, and voice. 

Venstar can even change it's business model to where it's no longer local or accessible. I doubt they will but it is possible. 

As I get older, the more I value ease of use which the ecobee has. The app easily works at home or away without any additional configuration required. It can be added to multiple systems for multiple points of control without issue. For example, I can connect all 3 of mine to my control 4 system, Ra3 app, polisy, Alexa, Google home, or use standalone. All major automation platforms support it so regardless of path I take, I'm good.

The best thing is that it works  wonderfully out of the box without any control systems. The only thing I do with mine is shut it off if a door or window within that zone is left open to long though everyone's use case will be different. 

Edited by lilyoyo1
1 minute ago, lilyoyo1 said:

As I get older, the more I value ease of use which the ecobee has. The app easily works at home or away without any additional configuration required. It can be added to multiple systems for multiple points of control without issue. For example, I can connect all 3 of mine to my control 4 system, Ra3 app, polisy, Alexa, Google home, or use standalone. All major automation platforms support it so regardless of path I take, I'm good.

@lilyoyo1 I am with you on simplifying things (although my wife doesn’t think the home automation stuff is simple LOL). I can get one Ecobee for $75 off thru my electricity provider. I still need another one with a remote sensor and I hate to pay full price so I’ll keep watching for sales. Can you elaborate on your “control 4 system”? What is that? Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Kentinada said:

@lilyoyo1 I am with you on simplifying things (although my wife doesn’t think the home automation stuff is simple LOL). I can get one Ecobee for $75 off thru my electricity provider. I still need another one with a remote sensor and I hate to pay full price so I’ll keep watching for sales. Can you elaborate on your “control 4 system”? What is that? Thanks!

It's a dealer installed automation system. https://www.control4.com/solutions/whole-home.

I wanted to use Ra3 when we moved but UDI didn't support RA3 by the time we moved. Thanks to @bpwwer the caseta nodeserver now works with Ra3 switches and dimmers. The main load of the keypad shows up but no control of the other buttons yet. Anyone wanting to at least use Ra3 switches @DAlter01can at least have those managed by their polisy/eisy now.

So I ordered one Ecobee through my electric provider with a $75 discount. Then I ordered a refurbished Ecobee and remote sensor from Ecobee + got another 10% of from a working coupon code. I can’t wait any longer to replace these Honeywell T9’s. Will report back here on my transition experiences. 

On 1/19/2024 at 7:55 AM, Kentinada said:

@Scott Korvek all valid comments and things to think about. To use the Venstar API, I have to have the skill to write some code to use it - correct? I might be past that at this point. They do offer Skyport although I have not looked at subscription costs. That is a really good thing to factor into this equation: cloud service subscription fees and node server fees. Thanks.

No. It’s an API call to a REST URL with parameters. GET/POST command with the inbuilt network module will suffice. I  use IOX variables to hold state variables for status and integrity variables for the desired setting prior to the call. 

On 1/19/2024 at 11:19 AM, Kentinada said:

So I ordered one Ecobee through my electric provider with a $75 discount. Then I ordered a refurbished Ecobee and remote sensor from Ecobee + got another 10% of from a working coupon code. I can’t wait any longer to replace these Honeywell T9’s. Will report back here on my transition experiences. 

I'd bet you're going to like the Ecobees. The only active control I do with IoX is adjusting the humidity set point for my upstairs Ecobee when the dehumidifier kicks on. I want it to run for at least 30 minutes. Otherwise, I can only say that I'm very impressed with their cloud service reliability as well as the hardware. I added 3 new thermostats recently to 3 remote shops that I monitor around town and they all showed up on my Admin Console w/o any action on my part. Kudos to the node server developer, @Jimbo.Automates, too! Well worth the cost.

My only worry is that the Ecobee server might go away some day.

• Like 1

My first Ecobee thermostat came yesterday.  I installed it and it's working great so far. Last night, I installed the Ecobee node server/plugin by @Jimbo.Automates and that is working great too.  I like some of the features the Ecobee has although it has no inherent geofence capabilities for IOS devices.  You have to use the Apple Home app.  I can't find any definitive definition on how the Apple geofence works but it is not customizable.  This is why I'm hoping to use the UD geofence.  Hopefully @Javi will figure out why my wife's iPhone 13 doesn't always report in/out of the geofence.  

My 2nd Ecobee with remote sensor comes today.  I'll get that installed and added into the Ecobee and UD environments.  Stay tuned. 

• Like 1