Okay, so when we die.....

This has been an interesting thread for sure. I rather suspect tat the general sentiment is that if the system is very complicated, the "fear factor" in a new purchaser might well suggest removal.

ON the other hand, if you look at HA features that are a) relatively simple; do not require any HA command to operate in the "usual manner" (like a light switch); allow interoperability with Alexa or Google voice commands (which I think fewer and fewer people are afraid of) then I think those can be left behind. To that, in my house, I have a water shutoff for leaks, which can run standalone and Z Wave so I have it integrated but the standalone capability should make it a plus.

These are just some thoughts and observations...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, larryllix said:

4. Remo e the system and save the $10k bargaining chip against your home price that the new owner will demand to pay an electrician to remove the 'complicated gadgets'.

@larryllix Good additional option. Was not an issue in selling previous homes but buyers behave strangely. I got into HA because a home I bought had an X10 system and I got the bug.

One realtor opined, due to the contemporary styling of my home and price point, that the HA system would be a selling feature, not a detriment. I will have to negotiate what I will and will not do.

But I shall prepare for option 4 as well. 

I spoke to a professional installer once who does structured wiring. I was talking about my very complex DIY system that requires me to keep my finger on the pulse to keep things updated from time to time. He said, "I work mostly in multi-million dollar neighborhoods and you better believe there is a Control4 or Savant truck parked in front of someone's house every single day."

It made me realize that it's the nature of the beast. It's a work of passion for me. I almost get excited when something goes wrong so I can fix it. And it's always going to be this way, and as long as I'm here to handle it, all is well. However, when I go, I imagine things will stop working one at a time until one day, it won't be useable, at which time my wife will remove it all and find joy in the simplicity of it being gone.

That's what I tell myself, at least.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Perhaps a clause in our "Living Wills", should I be become infirm, and/or disabled, in my later years, that there is funds for a home automation expert to come into my home and install every gadget imaginable so I can be serviced by AI? properly?

"Alexa....get me a can of beer"
"Alexa.... do what I am thinking"
.....I never could pronounce some of dose vords property. (we have to think ahead)