Are we there yet?

ryarber

Now that we have official release, how much longer before we can play with the ELK module? I can't wait. I've almost run out of things to do around the house and I'm chomping at the bit for this new toy.

I'll cast my vote for the Elk module as well. I've had a long time to think about all of the programs that I'll be writing to take advantage of this functionality...weather announcements, home/away lighting modes, camera management, etc.

I can't wait to get started!

What if I said pretty please? J/K. You guys said before it might come as early as a week after official release. That about right?

Congrats on getting official release out. You guys are awesome.

Remember how you felt the few days before christmas with all the presents under the tree and your parents wouldn't let you open even one of them? My kids do me the same way now, and here I am doing it to Michel.

At least we had a box to shake back then.

• 1 month later...

Almost 6 weeks since last post... can you give us an update? how it is going, the challenges, etc? I have put a lot of automation between my elk and isy in anticipation of this module. Can you at least keep us up to date more?

Hello bkpky,

Apologies for not keeping you all up to date. The main issue is lack of time for the one who's implementing it along with major changes to the whole code base which must be taken into account.

Please note that we are still actively working on it and it is currently our top priority.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michael. I installed my ISY / ELK right around the last ISY firmware release and there was a post from you saying this module would be released shortly after. It has been several months. Are we talking weeks, months? I have put off any integration between the two for now. Why duplicate or go through the trouble if something better is around the corner...

Hello bkpky,

I wished I could give you a firm date simply because I hate things hanging out there without any resolutions. Without going into a lot of detail, the major obstacle is time especially in the light of the sheer number of parts of the code that ELK module would touch (programs, subscriptions, network connectivity, node configuration, etc.).

I totally understand your point. We have a checkpoint next Friday so, if you do not mind, please post back (if you do not hear from us before then).

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Sorry to hear that there are "major resource constraints", I too would love to see this Elk module sooner rather than later. As soon as possible, in fact.

I notice in the Purchase Modules menus there is some portal access software being sold ahead of its availability. Any way to open up a similar pre-pay scheme for the Elk module, and use that to justify getting hold of the missing resources?

Cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

The Portal Integration module is actually working and it will be available with the release of 2.8.0. It points to Check-It.ca web portal and it's specifically designed to work with energy monitors. Portal integration was a trivial task since almost all the work was done at the portal side and not ISY.

ELK, on the other hand, touches ALL parts of the code and that's why it requires such great care.

We'll do our bestest (if such a word exists) of bests to get it done as soon as possible.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello bkpky,

I do apologize for not keeping you up to date. We are actively working on it. As you may already know, ELK has an extensive API set which we are working through. The other issue has been the fact that putting ELK code inside ISY makes ISY ELK specific and does not leave room for other security systems such as HAI/DSC and/or makes the code not maintainable (a lot of if/then for different security systems).

In short, we are trying to make sure a) the solution works reliably and comprehensively B) it's not going to impact current ELK users who are satisfied with the current minimal solution and c) it allows us to add other security systems without impacting the existing users.

Again, we are actively and diligently working on a solution. I just cannot give you an ETA.

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived