Bricked my RATDGO??

Go to solution Solved by Goose66,

Followed the directions for installing the firmware, was successful. Followed the prompts and connected to wifi successfully. Followed the prompts and could "view" the RATDGO successfully. 

However, per the directions for the RATDGO plug-in, I never had a prompt nor do I see anywhere to do the following -->

Note that the ratgdo configuration page will require you to set an "OTA & Web Config Password" upon initial configuration. Make sure you don't forget this password! In order to gain subsequent access to the configuration page, you must authenticate with a username of the ratgdo "Device Name" and the "OTA & Web Config Password" that you set. If you forget the password, you will have to reflash the device and start again. Configuration settings that must be changed/verified comprise:

• Make sure the "Enable MQTT" checkbox is checked.

So I decided that I must have overlooked that step and did a re-install. This time, it went to 89% complete and then stopped. My RATDGO now has a solid blue light and wont get past the "Preparing" stage for erasing and updating the firmware.

Any suggestions?

thanks. 

It seems like it's a connection issue. The first time I connected I had three options and chose serial usb. 

Now I am only getting one option and it is bluetooth and it acts the same whether the RATDGO has power /connected or not. So am pretty sure that is one problem I need to solve first. 

Ok. have been able to connect to the device by switching cables. Have also re-installed the software, but again, I dont see any option to set the configuration per the plug-in directions. 

What am I missing.  T

NOte.. i do not have it installed in the garage yet. is that why I dont have config page? 

I had a friend that had this same issue. He tried everything: Mac, PC, drivers, different cables. Then I took my laptop and cable that I used to configure mine over to his house and tried and got the same thing. Just a bad device, I presume.

Sounds like you are never accessing or seeing the configuration web page from the device itself. After flashing your device with the MQTT firmware (hopefully what you've selected) and setting the Wi-fi connection parameters, there should be a link on the last page of the firmware flasher to "Access your ratgdo."

If it seemed to connect to the Wi-fi successfully and you don't see this link, or if the link doesn't seem to work, then you can access the ratgdo configuration web page directly through your browser at http://<ip address of ratgdo>. You may have to go out to your network router to find the IP address. Look through your connected devices for a newly added "espressif" device (how all ESP32-based devices show up in my router) to get the IP address.

On this configuration page, you have to provide a password (don't forget it!) and this is also where you will specify your MQTT broker info. Follow the instructions in the Release Notes and Instructions for the ratgdo Plugin for configuring this (reproduced below for your convenience):

• Make sure the "Enable MQTT" checkbox is checked.
  • Set the "MQTT server IP" to the IP address of your Polisy or eISY (unless using an alternate MQTT broker).
  • Set the "MQTT server port" to 1884 (unless using an alternate MQTT broker).
  • MQTT server username and password need not be changed if using the default Polisy or eISY broker.
  • Leave the "Home Assistant Discovery Prefix" set to "homeassistant" unless you changed it for your configuration - see discussion of the "discoverytopicprefix" Custom Configuration Parameter in notes below.
Edited by Goose66

Ok. sorry for the long string. This is where I am at:

• I have two RATDGO devices
  • Both flashed successfully to where I can "see" the devices at Http://<ratdgo IP>.
  • What I see is attached. 
  • The option on the last page of the install was "view" device, not configure
  • There is NO PLACE on the screen to make any changes. It is more of an "operating" screen where I can push buttons and things will happen

ratgdov2.5i ca0567.pdf

I do have parallels / windows on my Mac and can try to flash them again via that route?

Both devices do the exact same thing. So that is why I am wondering if I have to install them on the GDO to get to the area where I can actually "configure" the devices per the RATDGO Plug in directions. 

Edited by dbwarner5
  • Solution

From the symbol at the top of the attached PDF file, I am guessing you installed the ESPHome firmware. You need the MQTT firmware.

Looking at the firmware installation page now, it appears that it has changed substantially since I flashed my first ratgdo and subsequently wrote the plugin directions. I will need to update the release notes to make sure folks are selecting the MQTT firmware option for flashing. Specifically, under the MQTT option on the firmware page, choose "ratgdo v2.57, Security + 1.0, 2.0 & Dry Contact" from the dropdown.

• Like 1

One further update: I just refreshed one of the cards using windows. Same result. 

After the flash, this is the screen I get before the screen I posted above. Then I click on Visit Device and I get the above screen. 

Screenshot2024-01-22at11_11_35AM.jpg.5944d407f986bda85930e1a76dca0f3a.jpg

The reason I havent installed it yet to see if the screen changes, is that these are going in a pole barn and it's only 15 degrees here! So I want to minimize my time in the cold! 

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

From the symbol at the top of the attached PDF file, I am guessing you installed the ESPHome firmware. You need the MQTT firmware.

Looking at the firmware installation page now, it appears that it has changed substantially since I flashed my first ratgdo and subsequently wrote the plugin directions. I will need to update the release notes to make sure folks are selecting the MQTT firmware option for flashing. Specifically, under the MQTT option on the firmware page, choose "ratgdo v2.57, Security + 1.0, 2.0 & Dry Contact" from the dropdown.

I'll try that, but I am pretty sure that is the one I selected. 

From Ratdgo page: 

1. Click here to launch the ratgdo ESP Web Tools flasher
  2. Choose the version you wish to install
    • ratgdo - includes WiFi configuration through ESP Tools. After flashing the firmware, ESP tools will ask you for your WiFi credentials. After ratgdo connects to your network, you will be given the option to Visit Device so you can configure the MQTT settings.

I visit the page, but do not see where to configure the MQTT settings. Will try again. 

Edited by dbwarner5

If you click the link on number 1. in the instructions above, you get the "ratgdo Firmware" page. It says "There are several excellent firmware options available for ratgdo..." and then shows options for "ESPHome" firmware, "Chowmain Software Integrations" firmware for Control4 and Elan, Native HomeKit firmware, and "MQTT" firmware. It is the MQTT firmware you want to install. It appears from the PDF file you posted that you installed the ESPHome firmware, and thus you get that ESPHome status/configuration page when you click "Visit Device." 

• Like 1