Sync error; active variable icons removed from UD mobile as a result

LFMc
Go to solution Solved by Javi,

Hi all,

I have to occasionally sync UD mobile (1.1.51) to my ISY 5.3. Upon doing so, after the sync completes, I get the following warning. If I answer "remove unused values", then it will remove many icons I have created that report on various variables.  It even removes a couple of folders that display integer values on them, dumping their contents into my favorites main folder.  Of course I do a backup and can restore them, but I am back to where I started. The only safe thing I can do is "cancel".  Once I even manually rebuilt all the missing icons only to lose them again on the next sync. I have repeated this issue multiple times after updating my UD Mobile app (twice I have updated it to a newer version). Any thoughts? 

Screenshot_20240127-103028.thumb.png.55dee244175a09091815da232c2cc10e.png

This usually happens when ISY994 is under heavy load, resulting in invalid responses, which causes UDM to believe the resource (variable/node/etc) no longer exists so it is removed from the app.   A reboot usually corrects the issue.

Does this happen every time?   Does a reboot correct the issue?

Hi Javi,

Thanks for the quick reply.  I am not sure how to validate the "heavy load" on the ISY. Is there a way to see CPU utilization on an ISY while I run the sync? I have no related issues otherwise.  Yes, it has been rebooted regularly (almost daily) and is still doing this over a couple of week period. It is 100% repeatable. 

Also, I have a new phone as of about 2 months ago, so the process is very quick, especially compared to my old phone. But I have almost always gotten these messages for the last several months or more when syncing, even on the old phone. The only difference is I have never (that I remember) told it to delete the unused values. 

Thanks,

@LFMc,

I apologize I misread interpreted the error message.   This is a UD Mobile database cleaning message, it is similar to the error message I mentioned above as that error also causes nodes to be removed from the App's Database.    If the message does not include an error then it should be safe to delete these values without removing favorites, although you should always backup just in case.

Can you try a backup then remove values?  Does this correct the issue?

Javi,

On 1/27/2024 at 10:42 AM, LFMc said:

Once I even manually rebuilt all the missing icons only to lose them again on the next sync. 

4 hours ago, Javi said:

@LFMc,

I apologize I misread interpreted the error message.   This is a UD Mobile database cleaning message, it is similar to the error message I mentioned above as that error also causes nodes to be removed from the App's Database.    If the message does not include an error then it should be safe to delete these values without removing favorites, although you should always backup just in case.

Can you try a backup then remove values?  Does this correct the issue?

Hi Javi,   

Is what I quoted myself above not what you are asking me to do?  If not, I am not sure what you are asking. Every time I click "delete unused values" it blows away all of my variable icons and folders. I either have to manually add all the variable icons back in or restore the backup. 

<edit> Just to be very clear, I am not technically getting any "error" messages, just the notification show in the first post about "unused values". I am guessing that the sync is thinking the variable displaying icons are "unused values".   

Thanks,

Edited by LFMc
clarity
1 hour ago, LFMc said:

Every time I click "delete unused values" it blows away all of my variable icons and folders. I either have to manually add all the variable icons back in or restore the backup. 

This is not normal. I have never lost any part of a favorite by deleting unused values without an error after a UD Mobile sync.

If you create a backup first, remove the unused values, And then loose some part of a favorite, does restoring the backup correct the issue?

The 25 items may be your variables. If it happens every time then they are not being retrieved during synchronization so the app wants to remove them. 

Should be easy to replicate with remote access. If interested I can do sometime this week, send me a PM or open a ticket, and include UUID.  

26 minutes ago, DennisC said:

This is not normal. I have never lost any part of a favorite by deleting unused values without an error after a UD Mobile sync.

If you create a backup first, remove the unused values, And then loose some part of a favorite, does restoring the backup correct the issue?

Hi Dennis,  restoring the backup puts everything back the way it was after the sync I suppose. But it leaves me with the same 25 unused values as before. I guess this is a work around if nothing else works. 

I am not sure, but "cancel" may be the same thing in the end with out the hassle of restoration.

Thanks,

Edited by LFMc
clarity
21 minutes ago, Javi said:

The 25 items may be your variables. If it happens every time then they are not being retrieved during synchronization so the app wants to remove them. 

Should be easy to replicate with remote access. If interested I can do sometime this week, send me a PM or open a ticket, and include UUID.  

Will do.

As a future FYI for anyone researching this topic for an answer, Javi said it may be a bug in the app and will be possibly corrected in the next update. 

Edited by LFMc
  • Like 1
  • Solution

Should be live now. 

Issued caused caused a race condition when  returning from backup dialog (System file selector) which briefly restarted subscription (value population). This caused removal the newly populated values along with removal of unused values.

• Thanks 1