Noobie problem programming swtichlincs

CT

Hi, I had X-10in my old house, and have Insteon in part of my new house. I am new to the Isy99 IR/pro - just bought it about 1 month ago. BTW, I am running firmware version 2.7.15, and have 2 lamplinc modules as access points if that makes a difference. I am having two issues so far, and feel that they may be related. I called tech support at Smarthome about the motion detector issue and they didn't know what was going on - not a good sign. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

The first problem seems to me to be a simple problem that for some reason I can't figure out. When I go to the main menu and click on a specific switchlinc dimmer - lets call it kitchen, I get a window on the right that says ramp rate [applied locally] and on level [applied locally]. Now when I adjust the on level on the computer, the light I am adjusting turns on to that level - good. But when I adjust the ramp rate, the light turns on and off instantly, even though the window on the right says different. Now if I turn the device on with the "on button" at the bottom of the page, the light turns on instantly, even though the ramp rate is set to 19 seconds lets say. However, it turns on to the specified level - lets say 40%. Now this does not make sense to me. I have the Automatically Write Changes to Devices button on, and it is obviously writing changes as the on level is being accepted. Now if I go to the wall switch and turn it on manually, it goes to 100% instantly. None of this makes any sense to me. This kitchen light is not part of a program, nor is it part of a scene. I was just testing it and don't understand why the program shows one thing, but the light does something completely different. I should be able to program a ramp rate and an on level with this thing I would hope. Am I missing something. And yes, the light switch's ramp rate can be programmed. I tried this manually after becoming frustrated with the ISY 99 and it works.

Second problem, is that I have a scene where a motion detector turns on a switchlinc to 40% in 19 seconds. Now this didn't work for a while, and then for some reason, it started working. Then I went to the scene and turned the light to 50%, and now when it senses motion, it turns to 100% instantly. Then it turns off ok after it times out. Once again, the problem is the ramp rate and the light level not turning on to the level that I want them to. When i look at the ramp rate and the on level under the scene, they are set to what I want them to be. Do I have to use a program for this and not a scene?

Third question, not a problem yet. How do I program a device (once again a switch linc) to turn on to 40% in 10 seconds from the ISY so that when I actually push the paddle, it does it. I know that I can program the switch manually, but this defeats the purpose of buying the ISY.

By the way, when I make an adjustment it says "Writing" in a green arrow, which is new to this firmware upgrade. Am I doing something wrong, do I have to reset something or update something every time I make a change, or is my ISY messed up, or what. It shouldn't be this hard to just program simple devices with the ISY.

Sorry for the frustrated rambling, but I can't even get the simple stuff to work.

Thank you.....

Hello CT,

You are correct, this should be easy.

Hi, I had X-10in my old house, and have Insteon in part of my new house. I am new to the Isy99 IR/pro - just bought it about 1 month ago. BTW, I am running firmware version 2.7.15, and have 2 lamplinc modules as access points if that makes a difference. I am having two issues so far, and feel that they may be related. I called tech support at Smarthome about the motion detector issue and they didn't know what was going on - not a good sign. Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

The first problem seems to me to be a simple problem that for some reason I can't figure out. When I go to the main menu and click on a specific switchlinc dimmer - lets call it kitchen, I get a window on the right that says ramp rate [applied locally] and on level [applied locally]. Now when I adjust the on level on the computer, the light I am adjusting turns on to that level - good. But when I adjust the ramp rate, the light turns on and off instantly, even though the window on the right says different. Now if I turn the device on with the "on button" at the bottom of the page, the light turns on instantly, even though the ramp rate is set to 19 seconds lets say. However, it turns on to the specified level - lets say 40%. Now this does not make sense to me. I have the Automatically Write Changes to Devices button on, and it is obviously writing changes as the on level is being accepted. Now if I go to the wall switch and turn it on manually, it goes to 100% instantly. None of this makes any sense to me. This kitchen light is not part of a program, nor is it part of a scene. I was just testing it and don't understand why the program shows one thing, but the light does something completely different. I should be able to program a ramp rate and an on level with this thing I would hope. Am I missing something. And yes, the light switch's ramp rate can be programmed. I tried this manually after becoming frustrated with the ISY 99 and it works.

Only the newest SwitchLincs accept local Levels and rates automatically. If your devices are older they need a power reset to use the new values. You can pull the set button for a few seconds or cycle the circuit breaker.

Direct commands from the ISY cause the switch to use the last ramp rate called. To use a specific ramp rate you should create a scene containing the switch and call the scene On or Off.

Second problem, is that I have a scene where a motion detector turns on a switchlinc to 40% in 19 seconds. Now this didn't work for a while, and then for some reason, it started working. Then I went to the scene and turned the light to 50%, and now when it senses motion, it turns to 100% instantly. Then it turns off ok after it times out. Once again, the problem is the ramp rate and the light level not turning on to the level that I want them to. When i look at the ramp rate and the on level under the scene, they are set to what I want them to be. Do I have to use a program for this and not a scene?

While viewing the scene select the Motion Sensor as the controller (in the tree) and either change the level/rate or use the Copy Scene Attributes button.

Third question, not a problem yet. How do I program a device (once again a switch linc) to turn on to 40% in 10 seconds from the ISY so that when I actually push the paddle, it does it. I know that I can program the switch manually, but this defeats the purpose of buying the ISY.

Once again, you will probably have to cycle the power to the SwitchLinc.

By the way, when I make an adjustment it says "Writing" in a green arrow, which is new to this firmware upgrade. Am I doing something wrong, do I have to reset something or update something every time I make a change, or is my ISY messed up, or what. It shouldn't be this hard to just program simple devices with the ISY.

Sorry for the frustrated rambling, but I can't even get the simple stuff to work.

Thank you.....

Rand

Ok, I tried what you said about cycling the switchlinc devices and it worked. Wish the instructions would just say that.

I still can't seem to get the motion detector issue working. I cycled the switchlinc that the motion detector controls and it still turns up to full. It turns up to 40% in 2 seconds (which is what i want), and then goes up to 100% instantly. It seems that the light is doing what I want it to do, then it is overridden by something. Manually, the light goes to 40% in 2 seconds. Do I need to cycle the motinon detector as well? I selected the scene and changed the light level and ramp rate both under the scene with the motion detector and also at the device itself. still not working. Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by creating a scene with the switch and call it on or off... Can you be more specific please. I have a scene that contains only the motion detector and the 1 switch. It is pretty basic. What else do I need to do?

It seems again, that by creating a scene with the swithclinc in it at the proper rate and level should be enough. But I guess it is more complicated than that....

Thank you,

CT

Hi CT,

You only need to power cycle the switches for the local levels/rates (when you press the paddle) to take effect, not for any scene levels/rates. Perhaps we should have a requester open, good idea.

As for your MS and SL I am guessing the switch may be bad. Would you try to link another switch to the MS (add to scene) and set the level/rate the same as the first? There is no need to power cycle the MS or the SL.

I didn't mean to confuse you concerning the motion sensor and the scene, I assumed you were using a program to watch for the MS signals and then control the SL. Of course we all know what that makes of me ;)

If you are just using a scene you should be done.

Rand

Ok, I tried what you said about cycling the switchlinc devices and it worked. Wish the instructions would just say that.

I still can't seem to get the motion detector issue working. I cycled the switchlinc that the motion detector controls and it still turns up to full. It turns up to 40% in 2 seconds (which is what i want), and then goes up to 100% instantly. It seems that the light is doing what I want it to do, then it is overridden by something. Manually, the light goes to 40% in 2 seconds. Do I need to cycle the motinon detector as well? I selected the scene and changed the light level and ramp rate both under the scene with the motion detector and also at the device itself. still not working. Sorry, but I don't understand what you mean by creating a scene with the switch and call it on or off... Can you be more specific please. I have a scene that contains only the motion detector and the 1 switch. It is pretty basic. What else do I need to do?

It seems again, that by creating a scene with the swithclinc in it at the proper rate and level should be enough. But I guess it is more complicated than that....

Thank you,

CT

Ok, I linked another switch in another room and set it to 40% with ramp rate at 19 seconds. I also adjusted the switch settings outside of the scene to the same. I power cycled the switch anyways just in case. Same thing happens when the motion sensor goes off. The bathroom light as well as the other light both go to 100% instantly. [As an aside, when the scene is running, the current state of the bathroom light says 40% even though it is at 100% showing me the ISY does not really know the actual level of the light.] But when I use the paddle on either light, the light goes to 40% in 19seconds. Another new interesting phenomena is that the paddle makes the other light go to 40% in 19seconds, but the on button (not instant on) in the ISY takes it to 40% instantly (not in 19 seconds), even though it says 19 seconds on screen. This just gets worse and worse. I don't understand what is happening. Do I need to do anything to the motion sensor? Do I need to create a program? If so, then what is the purpose of a scene... I have unplugged my ISY and let it sit for a bit, and still no change. Is my ISY bad????? This is more complicated than it needs to be. Should I return my ISY for an exchange?

Help please.

Thanks...

Hi CT,

You only need to power cycle the switches for the local levels/rates (when you press the paddle) to take effect, not for any scene levels/rates. Perhaps we should have a requester open, good idea.

As for your MS and SL I am guessing the switch may be bad. Would you try to link another switch to the MS (add to scene) and set the level/rate the same as the first? There is no need to power cycle the MS or the SL.

I didn't mean to confuse you concerning the motion sensor and the scene, I assumed you were using a program to watch for the MS signals and then control the SL. Of course we all know what that makes of me ;)

If you are just using a scene you should be done.

Rand

Thank you,

CT

Argh.

When you are viewing the scene you are selecting the Motion Sensor as the controller for that scene?

The main scene is the ISY controlled scene. Other controllers for that scene can have different levels and rates than the ISY scene.

As for the ISY turning on the switch to 40% at 0.1 seconds when the ISY sends a direct command the switch will use the last ramp rate and not the local rate. When you turn on the Scene from the ISY it should use the ramp rate for that scene.

Do you have time today for me to phone you? Click the link to Support in my sig.

Thank you,

Rand

Ok, I linked another switch in another room and set it to 40% with ramp rate at 19 seconds. I also adjusted the switch settings outside of the scene to the same. I power cycled the switch anyways just in case. Same thing happens when the motion sensor goes off. The bathroom light as well as the other light both go to 100% instantly. [As an aside, when the scene is running, the current state of the bathroom light says 40% even though it is at 100% showing me the ISY does not really know the actual level of the light.] But when I use the paddle on either light, the light goes to 40% in 19seconds. Another new interesting phenomena is that the paddle makes the other light go to 40% in 19seconds, but the on button (not instant on) in the ISY takes it to 40% instantly (not in 19 seconds), even though it says 19 seconds on screen. This just gets worse and worse. I don't understand what is happening. Do I need to do anything to the motion sensor? Do I need to create a program? If so, then what is the purpose of a scene... I have unplugged my ISY and let it sit for a bit, and still no change. Is my ISY bad????? This is more complicated than it needs to be. Should I return my ISY for an exchange?

Help please.

Thanks...

Ok, got it working. Two things. You are right, the switch was bad. I changed it out, and it now works. The second thing, I was doing it wrong. I was clicking on the scene in the left tree, and adjusting the values in the right. I figured out that I need to click not on the scene, but on the controller (the MS in this case), and adjust the values in the right window. I see this now, but you think that if you click on the scene, and the things under the "scene tree," then they should change. I know now. Once again, not very intuitive.

Thanks for your help.

CT

Argh.

When you are viewing the scene you are selecting the Motion Sensor as the controller for that scene?

The main scene is the ISY controlled scene. Other controllers for that scene can have different levels and rates than the ISY scene.

As for the ISY turning on the switch to 40% at 0.1 seconds when the ISY sends a direct command the switch will use the last ramp rate and not the local rate. When you turn on the Scene from the ISY it should use the ramp rate for that scene.

Do you have time today for me to phone you? Click the link to Support in my sig.

Thank you,

Rand

Help please.

Thanks...

Archived