CFL bulbs with dimmers and Motion Sensors

someguy

I have some motion sensor switches (not insteon) that are "two-wire" devices. My understanding is that these switches work by sending a touch of current through the bulb to complete the circuit. With an incandescent bulb there isn't enough current to actually light the bulb. The problem is that when you put a CFL bulb in the socket, the bulb flashes.

Is there any kind of a work-around for this that anyone knows of? Will it work to put one incandescent bulb on the circuit and have the rest be CFL's?

Is there a similar concern when using an insteon dimmer switch with a CFL bulb? when an insteon dimmer switch is at "off" is there any current going through the wire to the bulb?

thanks for any info,

Someguy

Actually the two wire dimmers get their power through the load. An incandescent bulbs resistance works fine with that type dimmer or even an X10 two wire device. CFLs electronics do not pass the power and flash.

Some in the X10 forums have used one single incandescent bulb and the remaining on the switch CFLs with good luck.

Though I don't like hacks. Some have added a resistor across the load to supply the current.

I don't believe there is any current from an Insteon wall switch when off. The LampLinc and ApplianceLinc plug in modules do have the small Local Control Sensing current that may flash CFLs when off.

Since Insteon switches use the Neutral power wire they do not steal through the load.

One point many normal CFLs do not like to be on dimmers and some can be damaged even at 100% on. Other brands are more tolerant.

You can always use Dimmable CFLs if there is a problem. Even though they are more costly.

It was on the X10 forums. Where I am an Adviser.

I will see what I can find.

Well I had a brain fade moment. :oops:

The resistor was mainly used to stop the local control sensing circuits from causing the CFL to blink or the module to turn back on.

One incandescent bulb in the circuit was what most used for two wire dimmers.

I got out two spare two wire dimmers. An X10 WS12A and an old slider type.

Used my test setup to wire them into a light socket.

Used two CFLs. A 9 watt Globe and a 14 watt GreenLite. Alternating between switch and bulb combinations.

Both bulbs and both switches didn't work alone. In any combination.

With a 4 watt night light they where still flaky.

A 15 watt [didn't have the older 7 watt night light bulbs to test with] and both seemed to work at full on. Since they are not dimmable they where not tested below 100% with any success.

I also tried a 56K 1/2 watt resistor. Was as bad as no regular bulb in the circuit.

I tried this and it worked (so far).

I've got 3 CFL bulbs on the circuit and one 40 watt bulb. The cfl's don't blink.

The 2-wire motion sensor switch is a Cooper wiring devices switch, I believe.

Thanks again for the help.

I'd like to officially request that we create a new forum or sub-forum where we discuss light bulbs.

Or, should I just post under "green!".

Or, could someone recommend me to a website where people discuss light bulbs? (jeez, I sound like a real nerd.)

someguy

Hello someguy,

I would love to make a forum just for light bulbs ... I went through all our categories to figure out where to put it alas I couldn't make a decision one way or another. Perhaps we can add it under INSTEON/SmartHome channel since we are talking about light bulbs impacting communications? Any suggestions?

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived