Program vs. Scenes

slpelts

What i am trying to get a grasp of is why use scenes vs. using a program to do what you want?

If in many cases i have to write code to do exactly what i want, for example, turn down the air when i go to sleep for an hour, then have the temp go up. this cools down the house but doesn't burn energy all night.

I don't believe that can be done in a scene

also, i use a keypad link as a 'flag' to indicate who is home and not. based on this info i do different things in a program

Scenes are generally a little quicker responding. In addition, scenes will still work if something were to happen to the ISY. My personal rule is to use scenes, where possible.

Agreed, there is potentially much overlap between scenes and programs.

Agreed, scenes respond much more quickly. Programs can sometimes take a couple of seconds to execute whereas scenes are almost instant.

If you have the same set of devices do different things based on some variables (who is home, time of day, or whatever), I like to create a scene for each scenario and then let a program execute the scene rather than have the program execute each individual device.

What has got me at this point trying to use scenes, most of my devices are appliance types because of fluorescent.

I create the scenes and set the appliance to 0% and when i turn on the scene the appliance modules turn on then quickly turn off. This is quite annoying..

Archived