VenStar T1800 Triggers

bktong

I have replaced the RF adapter and the communication to the T1800 seems better now. I have only had it installed for a couple of days so it is a little too early to determine if my problem is gone yet. The old one was a v2.0 and the new one is v2.1 if that is of interest to anyone.

Just a word of caution. Last year I added the T1800 in a house I have in Arizona. This is not a primary residence for me so I all the Lights, Irrigation and Heating/Cooling automated then manage the house from my primary residence logging into my ISY. I went a few days without monitoring the house and when i finally brought the system up I found the house temp was at 60 degrees. generally not a worry except this was in July and the outside temp was 110 degrees. Upon investigation in the log I found a "Cool Setpoint" for 37 degrees was sent by the T1800. The Air had been running full blast for about 60 hours. I quickly turned the thermostat off and caught a flight to AZ to have the Air conditioner checked out. Everything was Ok but had that Setpoint been HEAT chance are good that the house would have been burned down by the time I found it. After some research I finally figured out how to guard against this programmatically

IF (status Thermostat - Main > 89 (Cool Setpoint)

or

status Thermostat - Main < 84 (Cool Setpoint)

THEN

Set Thermostat - Main 58 (Heat Setpoint)

Set Thermostat - Main 87 (Cool Setpoint)

Send notification to MY EMAIL

I do the same check for the heat looking for Greater than 65 Less than 58.

This has given me some piece of mind but there are still points of failure that worry me. I have had Smarthome send me a new 2441 adapter but that has not solved the problem. Last night I took two more hits. The program worked fine but I would really like to find the cause of this problem and solve it. I have ruled out the 2441 but could it be the Thermostat or worse yet could it be the ISY 99. I am not sure how I am going to isolate and fix this but if I cant I may reach a point where I just take it back to a standard controller.

Interesting, I have observed a similar problem but have not brought it up here as I was having other problems (replacing my 2441). With the new 2441, my previous problems seem to have gone away but while I was experimenting last week, I used the Setpoint Up 1 and Setpoint Down 1 buttons. After I did, my T-1800 changed setpoints randomly causing the furnace to turn on unexpectedly. I have not tried the buttons since and haven't had the time to experiment some more since this happened. However, nothing unexpectedly has happened since.

JP

My first occurrence took about 3 months which is the situation I refer to in my original post. I replaced the adapter this fall and it has worked fine for about a month and a half now it is happening again. So for some reason it takes time to start fouling up. It is random and does seem to happen at any regular interval. I can go two or three weeks without having the system generated setpoint change.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived