ZMatter USB Dongle in attic

Go to solution Solved by Geddy,

I asked this about 6 months ago but didn't get a satisfactory answer. I was hoping for an exact temperature from the manufacturer. The answer I got said that it worked okay in a closet with some other electronics.

So here's my query again:

" I couldn't find any operating range temperatures for the ZMatter USB Dongle.

I would like to locate it in an attic to get better range away from electrical and mechanical infrastructure.

There should be maximum and minimum operating temperatures available as my attic could be anywhere from 0 - 130° Fahrenheit.

Can someone advise please? "

I don't have an exact answer for you, but 130 degrees could take a toll on the electronics. Generally speaking the recommended maximum temperature for electronics is 95 degrees fahrenheit to ensure longevity and optimal performance.

Being that the dongle is enclosed in a metal enclosure there's no pathway for the heat to disperse. It's possible that the dongle temperature could exceed the attic temperature.

If you need better range you could add a Zwave 700 series repeater. 

• Like 1
  • Solution
4 hours ago, RLandsborough said:

I was hoping for an exact temperature from the manufacturer.

If you want/need something from the “mfg” you’re best bet is to open a support ticket to ask the question directly with Universal Devices.

https://www.universal-devices.com/my-tickets/

Since we are just like you (users of the devices) we don’t know any more than what’s available on UD’s site. 

My general idea would be that most consumer grade electronic devices don’t typically operate well above 100F. Just from checking a few devices I found by looking up online. 

• Like 1