Message on install (discover)

Posted (edited)

Ratgdo had been working fine. Did a reinstall and now I get this message:     " A Discover or device command was attempted with no MQTT connection established. Wait for the plugin to establish a connection to the MQTT broker before attempting Discover or device commands."  

Edited by 4481hoods

Well that is supposed to only happen when you click Discover before giving the plugin time to connect to the MQTT broker after plugin start. If it’s not connecting, then there should be some type of error in the log. Send your log file.

But I did something that in hindsight was probably not smart: I coded a new version of the ratgdo plugin that is built on the ESPhome firmware on top of the old MQTT version. I need to finish testing the ESPHome version, roll it out as a separate plugin, and then I will have to revert to old MQTT version before I can fix any errors in that version.

This turns out to be an issue with the recent IoX firmware upgrade. There was evidently an upgrade from Python 3.9 to 3.11, and with it, and upgrade of the Paho MQTT client library to v 2.0. The Paho MQTT client library upgrade included breaking changes. Why in 2024 would someone roll out breaking changes to a widely used Python library? Who knows, and we're probably lucky if this is the only breaking change.

So I need to complete testing of the ESPHome firmware version of ratgdo (probably rolling that out as a separate plugin or different edition) and then I can look into reverting the code back to MQTT version and make changes in the Paho MQTT client library calls. Honestly, though, there may not be any point in it if everybody is ok with upgrading to the ESPHome firmware.