Program Notifications?

Nestor

The notifications feature in programs doesn’t seem to be available in UD Mobile. Is there another way to do it? In Mobilinc, I was able to confirm the execution of various programs when I pressed on an icon on my iPhone. Trying to get back to that. 

Edited by Nestor
24 minutes ago, Javi said:

Yes, been following the Wiki. One thing I missed in the video the first time around is something about the default Notification Plugin being a basic version. Is there a more feature-laden version that will add program status notifications to the mix?

43 minutes ago, Nestor said:

Yes, been following the Wiki. One thing I missed in the video the first time around is something about the default Notification Plugin being a basic version. Is there a more feature-laden version that will add program status notifications to the mix?

The plugin is created by a 3rd party developer.  The basic version is free, the paid version has additional features.

The plugin works in programs like any other node, so status notifications can be customized as needed.  Follow the example in the video then copy/update the program created by UD Mobile to contain your (IF) conditions.

P.S. Users can also send push notifications to UDM via Network Resources, however the Plugin is much better.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Javi said:

The plugin is created by a 3rd party developer.  The basic version is free, the paid version has additional features.

The plugin works in programs like any other node, so status notifications can be customized as needed.  Follow the example in the video then copy/update the program created by UD Mobile to contain your (IF) conditions.

P.S. Users can also send push notifications to UDM via Network Resources, however the Plugin is much better.

So program notifications must be created in the Admin Console? 

15 minutes ago, Javi said:

They can be created in the Admin Console or UD Mobile.   If following the video UD Mobile automatically creates the Notification Customizations with Variable Substitutions.

See screenshots below. Notice for programs no notifications option is available. Does this mean I have to create the notifications by scratch if I want to link it to a program that has no “If” conditions?

IMG_6588.png

IMG_6587.png

19 hours ago, Nestor said:

See screenshots below. Notice for programs no notifications option is available. Does this mean I have to create the notifications by scratch if I want to link it to a program that has no “If” conditions?

The Notification Menu option on a Device's Dashboard creates a program.  There is no option on the Program's Dashboard as this would create another (notification) Program which monitors the first Program, I don't think this is what is intended.  If a program already exists select Edit Program, then in the Then/Else sections add a new Command which trigger a notification from Notification Plugin.

16 minutes ago, Javi said:

The Notification Menu option on a Device's Dashboard creates a program.  There is no option on the Program's Dashboard as this would create another (notification) Program which monitors the first Program, I don't think this is what is intended.  If a program already exists select Edit Program, then in the Then/Else sections add a new Command which trigger a notification from Notification Plugin.

Was suspecting that. Thanks for confirming.

I performed most of my ISY994 setup about 10 years ago, including Mobilinc and it’s been pretty much “set and forget”. UD Mobile has been a bit of a learning curve.

Not sure how Wes did it, but programs looked like any other object/device when assigning notifications by simply entering the desired text into a box in the app. . 

Another question: The wiki for UD Mobile references a variable list in the Wiki. I notice the variables used in the UD Mobile template aren’t in that list. (eg. “sys.program”, “alert.event”, etc) Is there a link to a more comprehensive variables list including details on these variables? 

Thank you for your patience. 

On 6/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, Nestor said:

Not sure how Wes did it, but programs looked like any other object/device when assigning notifications by simply entering the desired text into a box in the app. . 

I think this was done as Plugins did not exist when it was created, so the ML server is likely always checking if status was changed (i.e. a Program) to trigger a notification from the server (i.e THEN/ELSE). Looking for program status change on the server side requires another "Program" in the cloud, resulting in more possible points of failure and extra server cost. 

UDM eliminated the server side component of creating and triggering notifications so users can do it locally and the triggers would be included in the local backup.  It is even possible for developers to create their own version of a Notification Plugin or send Notifications directly from the Plugin.   

On 6/29/2024 at 1:11 PM, Nestor said:

Another question: The wiki for UD Mobile references a variable list in the Wiki. I notice the variables used in the UD Mobile template aren’t in that list. (eg. “sys.program”, “alert.event”, etc) Is there a link to a more comprehensive variables list including details on these variables? 

There are a few which are not listed, but can be viewed in Admin Console > Configuration > Emails/Notifications > Customizations, click the Customized Content of the Customization, at the bottom is the Add Variable button.