UDMobile questions: command device and variable assignment

Go to solution Solved by Javi,

Sorry if this is double post, but I can't find it with search so I'll ask the question here.

I have a few minor issues with the mobile app on iOS:

1. When I go to manually input a variable value in a entity's dashboard, I cannot enter a value greater than 100. Obviously in the admin control panel I can enter any value I wish. Obviously if you were looking at status of a light entity a hard limit of 0-100% would make sense but I'm talking about a integer or state variable which should be able to hold any value. The value can clearly be something other than 0-100 because I can view variables set via my programs with arbitrary values. Similarly I cannot set the value from the variables list directly outside of an entity/device dashboard.
  2. If I create an entity/device of type command with dashboard, the ability to edit the commands at the bottom of the pane disappears. I can add new steps but cannot edit existing steps. The little right arrow/Chevron that would open up the command to edit literally isn't there.  If I change the entity to type command then the Chevron appears, and I can edit a previously entered command step.
  3. A question on trying to create a button that when pressed would increment a value. Due to how I've laid out the pane in question, I don't want to use the increment button type. I'm not trying to manually adjust the value directly to an arbitrary value-  It's really that I want to press the button and have it add 30 or 60 (minutes) to the existing state value being used to feed a timer program.  The command entity cannot add to an existing value (+=), only assign the value directly (=). Am I approaching this wrong or is this a limitation of the app? I could write an increment program in the admin console and have that button run the then step of the program I guess but that seems like a workaround.

Overall, kudos with the app. It's really grown and has become indispensable to running my home (as much as I've automated everything to require minimal interaction.)

2 hours ago, Scott Korvek said:

Sorry if this is double post, but I can't find it with search so I'll ask the question here.

I have a few minor issues with the mobile app on iOS:

1. When I go to manually input a variable value in a entity's dashboard, I cannot enter a value greater than 100. Obviously in the admin control panel I can enter any value I wish. 

I cannot replicate this behavior when using Default view type. I just tested both the Properties "Value" and the Commands "Value" and they work as intended.   If using a Slider or Switch this it was limited to 0-100 to mimic a light switch as I did not think users wanted the full negative and positive ranges.   Is the Default view  working in your case?  Is this an issue with another View Type?

Simulator Screenshot - iPhone 15 Pro Max - 2024-07-05 at 08.56.39.png

Similarly I cannot set the value from the variables list directly outside of an entity/device dashboard.

Setting variable values outside of dashboard currently only works in Favorites.  If using the Favorite "Picker" type it should allow manual typed input of any value.

If I create an entity/device of type command with dashboard, the ability to edit the commands at the bottom of the pane disappears. I can add new steps but cannot edit existing steps. The little right arrow/Chevron that would open up the command to edit literally isn't there.  If I change the entity to type command then the Chevron appears, and I can edit a previously entered command step.

This is a bug, I've fixed in the next update. Change to Command then back Command with Dashboard to edit until fix is released. 

A question on trying to create a button that when pressed would increment a value. Due to how I've laid out the pane in question, I don't want to use the increment button type. I'm not trying to manually adjust the value directly to an arbitrary value-  It's really that I want to press the button and have it add 30 or 60 (minutes) to the existing state value being used to feed a timer program.  The command entity cannot add to an existing value (+=), only assign the value directly (=). Am I approaching this wrong or is this a limitation of the app? I could write an increment program in the admin console and have that button run the then step of the program I guess but that seems like a workaround.

A program is the correct approach as this is both a calculation and a command. UDM only supports commands, as calculation logic should be preserved and executed on eisy.  The variable value can still be show as the "Display Node" while the command is the Increment Program.  See the custom toggle example https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=UD_Mobile#Favorite_Custom_Toggle 

While this may seem like a simple request it is actually more difficult than it appears on the surface.  (1) It is possible the app does not yet have a value for the variable due to latency which will cause the calculation to fail, a longer delay in execution, and/or sending an incorrect value.   (2) We try to avoid recreating functionality available in Programs as functionality running in UDM as it creates more possible points of failure, debug logs, etc.  (3) If the user does not backup UDM the Program is preserved on eisy, so user will not have to recreate the Program in UDM.

On the device dashboard for a variable the top 3 pickers are under the properties header- value precision and startup value. Value is where is get that error- tried with variable dashboards of status commmand and default types.

Below that under a command header is a blue button for value which will accept an arbitrary value. Since the property picker is first (and there and accepts a value) it’s what I always click on.