Programs randomly running at the same time each hour throughout the day?

@paulbates, makes a good point.  My judgement is likely clouded by my disdain for the 2450.

I could not find any entries in your logs for the address 70.7B.5B.  That's a very "high" address for an IOLinc.  It's newer than anything in my system.  Are you sure it's correct?

If it is correct, your logs do not show any IOLinc activity.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, IndyMike said:

That's a very "high" address for an IOLinc.  It's newer than anything in my system.  Are you sure it's correct?

The 2 bought in the last 10ish months started with 70.7x.xx

• Like 1
4 hours ago, IndyMike said:

@arzoo, can you describe how you're using the IOLinc sensor input.  You mention that it's "Hardwired" to the alarm siren??  Voltage sensing? Contact closure?

Do you have any Zwave or Zigbee devices in your system?

I'm using the IOLinc to voltage sense when the alarm siren circuit is active. It's a very simple method to detect when my non-network capable alarm system has been tripped.

Yes, I currently have one Zwave device - an LED strip for bar lighting. I do see that Zooz sells a zwave universal relay (zen17) which I think could be used to replace the IOLinc. I might give that a try. But since Insteon is currently running a sale this month, I might also purchase a new IOLinc.

4 hours ago, paulbates said:

While I understand where indymike is coming from, there a pluses for it being directly integrated with my Insteon network if the Insteon network is strong. Like you I've used them for long periods at my last house. I have them monitoring my sump pump run time and depth alarm at this house and it works well for that purpose.

To follow the diagnostic path you've been on, I would plug it back in, but disconnect the input wires to the iolinc and retry. If it reappears, its the iolinc... if it doesn't, its potentially the alarm system or wiring.

That's a great idea, I'll try the IOLinc with it disconnected from the alarm wiring.

I've been running with the IOLinc active on the network but disconnected from the alarm siren (no possible trigger) and have not had any issues. Just now reconnected the alarm siren to the GND and S (as was originally configured when all the problems started) and we'll see how it goes. The only other thing that has changed is the EISY firmware was upgraded.

@arzoo, when you say you're connecting the "alarm siren" to the GND and S terminals, what type of output is this?  The IOLinc terminals normally accept a contact closure type of input.  The Sense terminal is capable of 5 Vdc max. 

It can't handle a speaker level AC input.  Beyond that, most siren "Modules" that I've seen require a 12V input.  

There are probably ways that you can connect the IOLinc to your panel, but I don't think a Siren output is one of them.   

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, IndyMike said:

@arzoo, when you say you're connecting the "alarm siren" to the GND and S terminals, what type of output is this?  The IOLinc terminals normally accept a contact closure type of input.  The Sense terminal is capable of 5 Vdc max. 

It can't handle a speaker level AC input.  Beyond that, most siren "Modules" that I've seen require a 12V input.  

There are probably ways that you can connect the IOLinc to your panel, but I don't think a Siren output is one of them.   

When I first wired this up around 15 years ago, I had confirmed that the speaker output was 5vdc. I've tested this configuration multiple times and it always works - when the alarm siren sounds, the IOLinc is triggered.

12 hours ago, arzoo said:

When I first wired this up around 15 years ago, I had confirmed that the speaker output was 5vdc. I've tested this configuration multiple times and it always works - when the alarm siren sounds, the IOLinc is triggered.

That's an excellent response.  You must have a 5 V activated siren module.  Please check to make sure that you are NOT using "trigger reversed" on the IOLinc.  It produces erroneous indications when queried. 

• Like 2

It's now been four days running with the IOLinc wired up as when the issue first started and no problems to report. So at this point it's unclear what resolved the problem. Maybe the fact that the IOLinc was powered down for a few days? The only other significant change was the eisy was upgraded to the latest firmware. Regardless, the system seems stable and running as expected. Thanks everyone for helping with this crazy issue - it's been a learning experience!

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, arzoo said:

It's now been four days running with the IOLinc wired up as when the issue first started and no problems to report. So at this point it's unclear what resolved the problem. Maybe the fact that the IOLinc was powered down for a few days? The only other significant change was the eisy was upgraded to the latest firmware. Regardless, the system seems stable and running as expected. Thanks everyone for helping with this crazy issue - it's been a learning experience!

@arzoo, glad to hear you have things under control again.

As far as why, not a clue.  As stated earlier, there was no evidence that your IOLinc was communicating during the events.  But then, disconnecting the IOLinc eliminated the problem.  Doesn't make sense on the surface, and probably isn't worth chasing unless it reoccurs.

One additional observation -

It sounds like you are running the IOLinc in Voltage sense mode (On > ~1.4V/ Off < 1 V).  That's a bit more challenging than a simple contact closure.  It's possible that you had a bad connection that finally reared it's ugly head making your system more sensitive to line level disturbances (communication on the powerline). 

People sometimes see this type of powerline activity when their LED bulbs flicker.  The communication on the powerline is affecting the dimmer drive level to the Triac powerline the LED.  It's possible that the IOLinc could be similarly affected on the measurement side (I don't have a schematic to make an assessment).  This is why hitting a solid gnd level ( 0V = off) on the IOLinc is important.  It's effectively increasing the signal to noise ratio.

You may want to measure the "Sense to Gnd" voltage level (both on and off) to see what your alarm system is putting out.  From memory, the IOLinc will indicate OFF with a 0.9V input (< 1V).  Unfortunately, that provides you very little noise margin in the event of a disturbance.    

• Like 1