Trouble with Keypadlinc

I just replaced 2 dead keypadlinc with new ones purchased from Insteon. I installed them, added a scene on button G using them as Controller. As far as I can tell, it's exactly the same setup as a 3rd unit elsewhere in the house with the same scene. However, when I press the corresponding G button on either keypad, the scene is not triggered. The ON/OFF button of the new keypadlinc are working fine (Button A) so I assumed they are correctly wired (hot, load, neutral, and ground). On one unit, I added scenes on 2 more buttons, and they don't work either.
Anything I need to check to troubleshoot this?

Thanks for the help.

When you replaced the keypads did you first add the new keypad, and then right click click on the keypad you're replacing, point to the new keypad and then click replace with?

If you didn't replace the KPL using the above format, what steps did you take for the replacement? 

If you did not use the replace with function.

All the modules being controlled may still have the old KPL ID in them and will not respond to the replacement. With out some manual intervention.

3 minutes ago, hchain said:

I cannot find this "Replace with" function. How do I get to it?

I tried right click and double click on the keypadlinc (button A, and all other). 

If the keypad is in a folder in the device list, it must be removed from any folder(s) that its in and be at the root level before the "replace with" function appears.

This is what I just did originally:
I removed the 2 dead keypads and replaced them with the new ones.
I added the 2 new keypads to the Device list, then added my ALL_OFF scene to each.
The scene does not work on the new keypads, but it works on a 3rd keypad, so I assume the scene is correct.

This is what I did today:
I connected the 2 dead keypads on an extension cord. One is completely dead, one is blinking continuously. The ON/OFF buttons (A) do not work. This is exactly what I had before removing them.
I restored an ISY back-up (the 2 old keypads are there but with a red !).
I added the 2 new keypads to the Device list.

>>> I can only use the 'Replace with' function Dead to Dead (choice of 2) and New to New (choice of 3 since I have a 3rd working KP). The dropdown lists of the dead KP do not show the new KP (and the new do not show the dead).      

Any suggestion to move forward? Thanks in advance!

You're looking at a rebuild of the keypad functionality, etc scenes from scratch. You don't need the old ones any longer.

I would

• factory reset both new keypads,
  • connect them to power however you do it (wall or bench with cable)
  • begin building the scenes from scratch (or modifying existing)... and check that option are right depending how the old keypads were configed toggle, non-toggle,etc)
  • Make sure that the keypad buttons are controllers, not responders or the scene won't trigger

Creating new scenes and assigning them to the buttons solved the issue.

Where can I find good instructions on how to set these keypadlinc? I still have problem synchronizing them (buttons ON/OFF on all KP).

Thanks for everyone's help on this, it's much appreciated.

I have 3 KP, some of the buttons are the same on 2 or 3 KP.

Let's assume I have a "Den_Lights" on the 3 KP. When I press "Den_Lights" on KP1 to turn the lights ON, the button turns ON. When I press it again, the lights turn OFF and so is the button on KP1. I want the corresponding buttons on KP2 and KP3 to turn ON and OFF in sync with KP1. Obviously, any change on any KP should be reflected on the other 2 KP.  

I deleted all scenes, then recreated them. I never understood that a device can be both Controller and Responder. I believe that was my mistake.

Note: When adding a device to a scene, the prompt says: "XX is a controller. Do you want to make it a Responder?"

So I thought it was an either/or and never selected Yes. I guess it should say "Do you want to make it a Responder also/too/as well? 

But it's all good now.

Again, thanks for all inputs, they were all informative. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, hchain said:

I never understood that a device can be both Controller and Responder. I believe that was my mistake.

The correct terminology should be: responder, or, controller/responder. It's always a responder.

For example, if the button is responder only, it would light or "un-light" in response to another controller turning the scene on and off.  If it's a controller/responder, it will do the above and be a switch that activates the scene for other responders. 

Edited by paulbates