IOLinc Query returns incorrect status.

Go to solution Solved by IndyMike,

I believe this to be an issue with eisy as I did not have this issue with Polisy.

I have an IOLinc 2450 that I use the sensor side to tell me if a garage door is open or closed.  I do not use the relay side for anything.

If I operate the garage door, and thus cycle the sensor, the Admin Console will show the status correctly.  BUT, if I run a Query, the status will always come back reversed to the actual status.

In the options for this IOLinc, I have selected Trigger Reverse.  This is part of puzzle if anyone is trying to replicate this.  With Trigger Reverse unchecked the inconsistency does not occur.

What is also interesting is that Home Assistant is always showing the correct status.  So, HA will correctly show the door position, while at the same moment in time (after a Query), the Admin Console will show it incorrectly.

My guess is this is some kind of glitch with the Query of an IOLinc where it is not taking into account the Trigger Reverse option?

This would normally not be much of an issue as I don't make it a habit of doing a Query on this IOLinc (or any other device for that matter).  But I do need to occasionally reboot IoX, which Queries all devices. 

Edited by carealtor
modified title
  • Solution

@carealtor,

This issue has been around for some time.  For some reason the IOLinc itself reports the incorrect status during a query when the trigger is reversed. 

I just replicated exactly what you are describing using my ISY994 and a old V.36 IOLinc.  Not sure why you would not see this issue with the Polisy.  It's possible that Smartlabs fixed the later versions of the IOLinc.

Easiest way to rectify is to replace the magnetic switch with one that doesn't require the reversed trigger - or better yet, replace the IOLinc.

From the archives:  Trigger Reversed Query

@IndyMike

Thanks for the workaround and the link.  Are you of the opinion that a new IOLinc has fixed this issue?

I still think there is more to this problem.  The State for this Entity in Home Assistant is ALWAYS correct, even when the Admin Console shows it wrong.

If you use a Normally Open reed switch, and don't enable trigger reverse, then the green led on the IOLinc will  be on when the door is closed (when the magnet is in contact with the reed switch), the 3AM query won't then affect the status. This is the way it has always been with UD controllers.. There hasn't been any changes in the IOLinc or the controller firmware that would affect the device status.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, carealtor said:

@IndyMike

Thanks for the workaround and the link.  Are you of the opinion that a new IOLinc has fixed this issue?

I still think there is more to this problem.  The State for this Entity in Home Assistant is ALWAYS correct, even when the Admin Console shows it wrong.

@carealtor,

My IOLincs are very old.  I consider the devices as very unreliable and totally unsuited for the task they were marketed for.  As an input device it's barely acceptable.  As an output/control device it's a problem waiting to happen.  I have no personal knowledge of an IOLinc with corrected firmware. 

I do not understand how HA could reflect the IOLinc status correctly.  The IOLinc is actually reporting it's status incorrectly during the Query.  If you are using the HA/ISY integration, I can't see how HA could get this correct unless it's ignoring the ISY query.  I'd be very interested in hearing any theories on how this could occur.

• Thanks 1

As suggested, I switched the reed switch to NO and unchecked Trigger Reverse.  All seems good now.

It still leaves 3 mysteries:

- Why did this never show up for me as an issue when using Polisy?

- Why does Home Assistant show the State correctly?

- Why has Insteon never fixed this?

I'm not expecting any answers here.  Just wondering.

Thanks!

The format the IOLinc uses is not a bug. It's most likely built around the alarm system format which uses NO (normally open) contacts. When the alarm system is armed all the contacts are closed. If a contact is opened or the wire to the contact is cut, the contact reverts to the NO state thus triggering the alarm.

This is the protocol (NO) the IOLinc uses. 

I'm not familiar with Home Assistant but they may not follow that protocol.

With UD controllers, nothing has changed over the years, why you didn't experience this with your Polisy may be the way your program was set up, or maybe you used trigger reverse and didn't run the 3 am query.

• Like 2

The I/OLinc has a switching power supply in it. Along with the capacitor issues.

They did replace the main cap with a larger capacity one with a higher voltage rating. My old V1.0 the supply voltage dropped every time the relay was turned on.