Eisy compatible hose valves?

I moved from a house with a 14 zone sprinkler system. I've had 2 ezfloras and then a rainmachine.. I understand the sprinklers / grass / weather / scheduling parts.

At this house, I want to set up a one zone system for dripping plants and flowers. I bought the kit for physically doing the sprinkling and working on that. The house has a well that is used for outdoor, hoses etc. 

I've looked at rachio.. would love jimbo's plugin if it handles that.. but from the reviews on amazon and Costco, some serious design flaws remain in the rachio hose valve product. 

TLDR:
Are there recommendations for hose valves that can be controlled by eisy that aren't the rachio? I have never been a z-wave or zigbee user, this might change that if there's a hose controller that people have used, like and recommend?

I have used OpenSprinkler for over a decade now (really the plastic is yellowing). It’s an open source dropin & can handle dc or ac valves. Added two valves for the deck plants and one for filling the pond. Solid PG3 plugin by @Javi 

btw: they have put out a number of new versions since mine. 

Edited by sjenkins
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, sjenkins said:

Added two valves for the deck plants and one for filling the pond.

Ok, see what you're saying... use the open sprinkler controller, and then buy a standard valve, something like this, and a transformer. Put it under a sprinkler cover box out of site.

Is there a valve you prefer?

Exactly.  The standard valves are really cheap & I have had good luck with either Rainbird or Orbit.  Easily replaced as well.  The 24ac is standard as well as a coil of the cable to bury.  Amazon or even HomeDepot in a pinch.

• Thanks 1

I second the RainBird valves, they have not changed in decades and have a manual "bleeder" at the top for manual operation (without unscrewing the solenoid). If they get stuck it is usually due to debris (from the fresh water pipe) suck on the diaphragm or inside the value. Removing the phillips screws then cleaning the diaphragm then turning on the water slightly to push out any remaining debris before replacing diaphragm and screws usually fixes any issues.

If the diaphragms ware out they can be replaced without digging up a valve box, or messing with the pipe connections.  Solenoids are also replaceable. 

Another tip is to use plenty of teflon tape (8-9 rounds only at the tip) on the MIP adapter. DO NOT over tighten as going all the way in will block a small hole which is relied upon by the solenoid.

• Thanks 2