WIZ Integration

WIZ Integration - What is the hurdle to creating a WIZ bulb integration?  I see there is integration and capability on other platforms, so struggle to understand how we cannot have one.  i have a fair number of wiz lights.  Since integrating, I sadly have to admit that I have lost pride in my ISY system simply because sophisticated automation is no longer an option for me.  I have researched and seen that others have found ways to interact with wiz lights by linking to other home automation systems, but I just can't seem to pull it off and the limited success i have had ends up breaking at some point in time.  Is it truly not possible to create and easy to implement, easy to use WIZ integration on the ISY platform?  I am confident I am not the only one struggling for an easy and reliable solution.  

10-15 year user of ISY platform(s).  A little deflated with the struggle these past few years.  Very anxious to see what the community has to say here.

Edited by Rocarico
5 hours ago, Rocarico said:

WIZ Integration - What is the hurdle to creating a WIZ bulb integration?  I see there is integration and capability on other platforms, so struggle to understand how we cannot have one.  i have a fair number of wiz lights.  Since integrating, I sadly have to admit that I have lost pride in my ISY system simply because sophisticated automation is no longer an option for me.  I have researched and seen that others have found ways to interact with wiz lights by linking to other home automation systems, but I just can't seem to pull it off and the limited success i have had ends up breaking at some point in time.  Is it truly not possible to create and easy to implement, easy to use WIZ integration on the ISY platform?  I am confident I am not the only one struggling for an easy and reliable solution.  

10-15 year user of ISY platform(s).  A little deflated with the struggle these past few years.  Very anxious to see what the community has to say here.

Isy or eisy? Isy integration would be zero chance since it's obsolete and no more updates are coming for it. 

Eisy would be based on a developers interest. While wiz may be big for you, it may not be big enough for the eisy community (developer or udi) to justify the time and effort to develop, maintain, and support a node server for it. 

Wiz is owned by the Philips Brand and readily available at the big box stores, etc.  it is a WiFi system.  

I personally am very impressed with the system as Phillips must have also been to pick them up when they already had their hue bulbs on the market.  

interesting innovations in their pro line.

i own the EISY. What formal mechanism is there for owners to express their development interests and those interests to be shared amongst developers?

41 minutes ago, Rocarico said:

i own the EISY. What formal mechanism is there for owners to express their development interests and those interests to be shared amongst developers?

You've just done it. Typically a community developer will already be an owner of the product.

*Sometimes* community developers will consider creating a plug-in for something they don't own, if the appropriate hubs and devices are loaned and shipped to them for development; if you offered that that it might help.

I saw that wiz supports Google home, Alexa, and IFTTT.. All three of those are supported by eisy... Google and Alexa via the isy portal, and IFTTT by a plug-in.

Edited by paulbates
  • Like 1

Thanks for responding quickly.  I would gladly help support the development. 

ive used Alexa to make some integration.  But it is not straight forward and sometimes breaks.  It is also nowhere near as powerful at achieving what can be achieved with plugins or native support.

I really do appreciate you taking even a few minutes to look up the wiz system and respond to my inquiry.  If there is any interest in going down the path, please detail what I can deliver to make the plugin a reality.  I have some spare lighting available (Downlights, a19 bulbs,light strip) that can be made available.  

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2024 at 4:29 PM, EWhite said:

never heard of it before today......

Wiz has completely replaced Hue in some and much diminished in others big box stores. E.g. Target sells Wiz but not Hue. Home Depot has reduced Hue to the bottom shelf of an end cap, the rest of the end cap being Wiz products. And you can buy Wiz in supermarkets.

• Like 1

I'm gonna take a stab at it, as a long-delayed introduction to developing Polyglot plugins.

I have mostly Hue bulbs, but I could not bring myself to pay the price ($54 each!) for 5 1.5W Hue "candle" bulbs in a dining room chandelier. (PLUS I'd have to use socket adapters, as my chandelier has standard E26 bases, and the available white+color candle-shape Hue bulbs have E12 base.)

Naw dawg, not $270 to light a chandelier!

So, I got a bunch of Hue and 5 Wiz bulbs.

When I got them, I did a bit of digging, and demonstrated I was able to control them easily using Curl from a command-line window in MacOS. Shouldn't be very difficult.

Edited by jtara92101
  • Thanks 1