Starting over with a failed system

Go to solution Solved by paulbates,

I think I am ready to start. I've gathered all the prepared devices and double checked the EISY and link status. When the devices are added, I can check their performance there before moving them to their desired location. One question, though. Must ALL battery devices be put in link mode when each one is added, or just the one device I am adding? That one has always confused me, as some of them are a little hard to reach when installed.

image.thumb.png.a459921c126f74998d883b66a46c7c78.png

Unfortunately, there is little joy in Mudville tonight. Apparently The system was not as ready as I expected. I thought I had deleted all the programs, but they mysteriously showed up when I started adding back the devices. I factory reset both EISY and PLM again. This time, I believe it took. Now when adding back the ApplianceLincs, they don't want to be found. Everything is within 10 feet of the EISY and PLM - and all the other devices linked fine on the same power strip. Another issue: has anybody seen the ApplianceLinc blink fast 4x, then start the normal linking slow blink. I have 4 of those doing the same thing. Two of them were never used - fresh out of the box. Thanks for any suggestions.

Even though the appliancelinc is within 10 feet of the eisy it could be on the opposite leg of your powerline. Being that you're starting fresh your powerline legs would not be bridged. You should consider dumping them and replacing them with the dual band on/off module.

If your programs showed up after doing a factory reset then your factory reset was incomplete.

2 hours ago, paulbates said:

I'd use the powerstrip as a control for your rebuild

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I figured there was no question about phase if everything else linked ok on the same power strip. There was the question of the indicator light blinking fast 4x before settling in to the slow linking blink, though. This after a factory reset. I guess the other peculiar thing is that all the LampLinc modules worked correctly and all the ApplianceLinc modules did not. Everything was the same on the powerstrip, except for the modules I had to pull to make room. 

• Like 1

I personally think there's something peculiar about this model of the ApplianceLinc, maybe in conjunction with the current generation of PLMs.  I had some recent experience setting up a new Insteon network with a mix of old and new devices.  These old ApplianceLincs were the only devices that gave me any problems.  Even plugged into the same outlet as the PLM, I got numerous repeated "can't determine Insteon engine" errors.  My recollection is that I finally got them to connect using the "put into linking mode" method, but it took multiple attempts.  The only reason I kept trying was because I wanted to have the passthrough outlet, but I would have been better off using an outlet splitter and a newer dual band ApplianceLinc.

-Tom

I know there was two major 2456S3 ApplianceLinc modules and more than one firmware revision. So it could be possible some did not work well with recent PLM revisions.

It was only partially supported for I2CS according to the information we got in the Developers Forums.

I personally had issues with later PLM versions and the 2440 original RemoteLinc. Had to have it on the other end of the house. So the PLM didn't use its RF receiver and had to us the power line from a different RF receiver back to the PLM.

The thing I keep coming back to is this is all new for a previously working system. No hardware has been added or changed. It's all the same devices in the same locations for months to years. I'm going to try replacing the PLM. I know it's not a newer one with the USB interface, but it's something to try.

For all those waiting for news with baited breath, here it is: There is light at the end of the tunnel.....and it's not a BNSF locomotive. Ha ha. I changed out the original PLM with another that I have been rotating in and out. I restored everything except programs. I was able to link two of the original ApplianceLinc modules. One issue I discovered was that my power line phase bridge must have checked out. One of the recovered modules that works on the power strip does not work at the location it is supposed to live. So, I am guessing cascade failure. Lightening? Power surge? Maybe. But any way things are looking up and I thank you all for your support. I guess that new PLM is going on my list, along with a new line coupler.

George