Android ISY App

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is any interest in an app for Android devices to control an ISY. I'm working on one for my own use. So far, it can connect to the ISY over HTTP (wifi) or HTTPS (cell network) and turn scenes off or on, with a confirmation. I'm also going to add support for showing the status of and controlling individual devices. Finally, I might add some support for Programs.

It doesn't sound like much, given the web interface, but I find it handy as it:

1. Caches credentials so you don't have to log in (soft keyboards and complex passwords are a pain).

2. Keeps the Scene list in a local database to minimize start-up time as well as network traffic.

3. It is finger friendly.

4. Will accept the ISY's certificate without complaining.

Please let me know if you are interested. I don't plan on charging anything for this, but I wouldn't mind some ideas about additional functionality that could be added. Lastly, I'm a programmer, not an artist; if anyone wants to contribute icons/drawables, that would be great. Otherwise, 'minimalist' is the order of the day...

Cheers,

wd

I've had iPhone for a couple years and friends have shared thier Droid. It is quite nice. Will it push iPhone aside is questionable. I use MobiLinc and love it. I have toyed with the idea of switching to Droid only because of the Skype usage. It interacts superb with Skype and GV. I would suggest that you hook up with Wes @ MobiLinc. I would think that his work on iPhone and your input would work to make a (multi-app). I know Wes is looking at camera integration--which is very much a must for me.

Good luck whatever direction you go. If I go to Droid, I'll see you there.

aLf

Id marry you if I were a woman, I have been searching the web for some time , just as I did a few moments ago, trying to find a app for my google phone, this is something you can put on android market. I have seen many posts asking for this, if I could help in any way feel free to contact me.

Thanks a million

Hi All,

Thanks for the warm replies and welcome. I'm glad to know that this will be of interest to others.

I'm planning on making a first release that will allow for scene and device control and will add from there. Since I'm working on this in my spare time, I don't have a firm date for an initial release. Hopefully in the next week or two. Right now, my outstanding items are:

1. Finish device control (On/Off/%), reported status.

2. Clean up initial config

3. Clean up switching between scene and device activities (Android speak for screens)

Long range plans are:

1. Incorporate folders for scenes

2. Speed up SSL communication

3. Ability to run ISY programs

4. Query and update status

If anyone knows where I can find more complete ISY REST information, I'd be appreciative. What I have so far comes from the wiki and what I have found by experimentation. Some of the xml attributes don't seem to be well documented. Flags, Types, etc aren't intuitive (I have a relatively small network of insteon devices).

Lastly, if anyone wants to submit an icon (I am not an artist), you can make your mark on the application.

wd

Hello wrdarnell,

I would be delighted to provide you with all the development help you need. As far as the XML elements, they are ALL clearly defined/documented in:

http://your.isy.ip.address/WEB/udiws20.ws . This WSDL is 100% consistent with all the REST/Web Services objects currently supported by ISY.

As far as REST development, they are all defined here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=2252

If you do need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me at tech@universal-devices.com .

With kind regards,

Michel

Oh, and for what it's worth: I have a Nexus One and have been targeting Android 2.1. I've just upgraded to 2.2 as well. If there is need for support of earlier versions, let me know and I'll see how the app will fare. I don't think I've used anything specific to the earlier SDKs, but I'm not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also highly interested in an Android app. I was thinking about creating my own and was starting to do some research when I found this thread. I would love to help out as well if the development could be approached as a team effort.

I have a Droid Incredible running a piecemeal 2.2 with sense, but I'm not tethered to it. I'd be willing to dev and test against any rom necessary. I also have an ISY-99 and plenty of Insteon (and two X10) devices to harness.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Sorry for disappearing for so long. My dev machine crashed and I broke my toe, so I've been away from the project for some time.

I'm about to publish a beta version to the market. Just need to handle the minutiae of getting it built for release and published. Gotta love Google charging $25 for the ability to give away an app on the market.

Michel/UD Staff: Is it OK to name the application "wdISY"? If not, any suggestions? I don't want to tread on your copyright, but haven't thought of a better name yet...

wd

Hi All,

I am happy to announce the BETA release of the Android app 'wdISY'. It is now available in the Android Market.

First Time Use:

1. Press Menu and select Preferences

2. Fill out settings for:

A. Username (the username you log in to your ISY's REST page with)

B. Password (the password you supply when logging in to the REST page)

C. HTTP Server Address (the address you would enter in your web browser when accessing the ISY locally [i.e. when using WiFi at home])

D. SSL Server Address (the address you would enter in your web browser when accessing your ISY from a remote location [i.e. when on the mobile network])

E. You may adjust ports as necessary. They default to 80 and 443 respectively.

3. Press the back button to exit the Preferences dialog.

4. Press Menu again and select "Refresh ISY". The app will now connect to the ISY and load your scenes and devices.

Regular Use:

* Switch between Devices and Scenes by choosing Scenes or Devices in the menu

* Control a Scene by pressing On or Off

* In Devices, press a device to get a control dialog. Here you can get the current status of a device "Query", turn a Device On, Off or Dim To (Adjust the slider).

* If you modify your ISY (Add/Rename devices, scenes), press Refresh ISY to pick up the changes.

Known Issues

1. Communication over SSL (HTTPS) is slower than I would like, I will be investigating speeding this up. Then again, it might just be all those iPhones that are choking the AT&T network.

2. The app has trouble if WiFi on the phone is enabled or disabled when the app is running. If you run in to this, Force Close the app and launch it again.

This application has a minimum supported Android version of 2.1. I have tested it against a Nexus One running 2.2 (Froyo) and an Emulator running 2.1 (Eclair). Let me know if support for earlier versions is needed and I'll test them out.

Again, this is BETA (just barely at that) software. You can expect to experience crashes and the like. Please let me know when you do and I will try to reproduce and correct. The Android Market should notify you when updates are available.

wd

Jim,

What version of Android are you using? If it is less than 2.1, I'll need to test the code against that version and update the app in the market. The market will only list applications targeted to your phone's version of the sdk.

Also, please let me know the make/model of your device and I'll run a test on an emulator with that device's properties. I'm still getting some of the kinks worked out regarding differing screen sizes/geometries.

Thanks,

Wd

WD,

Works well on my AT&T captivate. I am looking forward to future versions when you get a chance to integrate folders. I don't have that big of a system (27 devices), but having a way to organize/select commonly used lights/scenes would be great. Thanks for letting me wow my friends and family. :D

Thanks for the app! :idea: It works fine on my Droid X (2.1).

One question (actually two):

1) I'm not quite sure how to switch from local (WiFi) settings to mobile (SSL). Currently, I have to go to Settings and update local IP with DDNS server name (and port) to connect while on the go. Even when WiFi is turned OFF, it still tries to use local IP to connect.

2) My remote ISY connection is not SSL (just HTTP) due to certificate conflicts with my other SSL server running at home (HP MediaSmart). So, can I connect remotely with wdISY without using SSL for ISY?

Thanks again.

rusgrafx,

1) The app is not doing a good job of detecting a change in WiFi state. I plan to address this in an upcoming release. In the meantime, you can Force Close wdISY, and re-launch it to pick up the change.

2) I can add an option to the app to let you connect over HTTP over the cellular network. Just realize that it is a security risk as every request will have your credentials transmitted in the clear. What I would recommend is that you set your router to forward some unused port to your ISY as 443. For example: set the router to forward 4402 to your ISY as 443, then set wdISY to use SSL on 4402. This will allow your other device to use 443 and still keep your ISY in a more secure configuration.

Thanks for your feedback

wd