Insteon Motion v2.0

I was just wondering if anyone else was having any trouble adding the v2.0 of the Insteon motion sensor. I already have 2 installed with my ISY setup (v1.0). My 3rd came in the mail the other day and I can not get the device added for the life of me. I am running 2.7.15 on the ISY.

ISY shows the following during setup

Removing Links

Failed Getting Engine Version. Reverting to i1.

Failed Writing the Highwater Mark

Node not Added - Failed removing links

I did see that jumper 5 on v2.0 enables 3rd party interface. FYI I tried to add the device with this jumper both enabled and disabled.

Any and all ideas are welcomed!

Thanks!

Running 2.7.15, using New Insteon Device, specified Insteon address and selected Device Type - Motion Sensor (next to last item in device type pull down). A popup prompted for putting the motion sensor into linking mode. Put the motion sensor into linking mode and successfully added a V2 Motion Sensor. Jumper 5 controls whether a program can set things like the timeout value. It is not necessary to have Jumper 5 set to add the device to ISY or use it in a Program. I do not have Jumper 5 active.

You know I never got a pop-up to put the thing in linking mode while trying to add it (using Firefox). I will have to double check that. Just FYI I have tried adding the device by both putting the motion sensor in linking mode and not in linking mode. I also linked the motion sensor to another Insteon device manually, and the sensor did control the other device, so its not defective. Thanks!

When I clicked Ok on the New INSTEON Device popup, because I had selected [10.01] (2420M) INSTEON Motion Sensor, the next popup was one that serves as a reminder to put the device into linking mode. Same popup reminder that is displayed for TriggerLincs as well. I am running IE 8 on a Windows XP PC.

The Motion Sensor cannot be added to ISY without it being in linking mode (referring to the test without being in linking mode). There are three link records written into the Motion Sensor for Motion, Dusk/Dawn and Low Battery message. With the Motion Sensor being a battery device the RF circuitry is asleep so it cannot receive the commands to write the link records if not explicitly put into linking mode to keep it awake for approx 4 minutes.

Well LeeG,

I just tried adding a motion sensor. A V1.0B.

Chose the [10.01] (2420M) from the list.

Hit OK

No pop up warning message ever showed.

The program just merrily tried to add the sensor even if I didn't put it into linking mode. :roll:

I also have IE8 and XP SP3.

Latest Java Console.

ISY firmware 2.7.15

A10/X10 Module. So my drop down list has 71.01 to 71.2D below the [10.02] Triggerlinc entry.

Network Module

Weather Module

I also don't get the pop up when I try a TriggerLinc choice.

Like the Motion Sensor it just tried to add it with out the Put In Linking Mode pop up message. :roll:

Brian,

Thanks for that information. That is one for Michel to weigh in on as it seems we are all running 2.7.15. I have NO modules installed. I would think it more Java than browser question as the Admin Console is a Java application. My Java is V6 Update 20 (build 1.6.0_20-b02). If you put the V1 Motion Sensor into linking mode before hitting Ok on the New INSTEON Device popup does it add successfully?

I have the same Java version as reported by its about tab.

Tell you the truth. I put a battery in the motion sensor and then tried adding it with out going into linking mode. Must not have settled down and gone into standby. It added fine.

I don't have a ToggleLinc but tried a bogus ID and again no pop up for start linking mode. A Thermostat adapter same thing no pop up.

All with drop down choice.

Well my issue is resolved. I went home and tried again like I have been doing all along. Still no pop-up when I picked the motion sensor from the drop down list. Put the sensor in linking mode, typed in the address, and bam! Device added. A festivus miracle! Interestingly enough when I went to set the newly added sensor's options I DID get a pop-up telling me to put it into linking mode before continuing. Thanks again all for the info!

Hello iostream212,

I am so glad everything is working!

All,

I am not sure why you are not getting the popup. May I humbly suggest trying the following URL:

http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/admin.jnlp

I did try this URL and it worked fine every time. You might want to clear your Java cache as well.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK as a test.

Cleared the Java Cache again.

Directly used the link in your reply.

Though I was using the applet added last time I use that same link.

Same thing no pop up just blindly started the process without an OK that I had turned on the linking mode in the Motion Sensor.

One observation on the no pop up. There was a very brief flash on the screen it may have been the pop up for a brief second.

Added tests from what I did yesterday:

Using a early V1.0b Motion Sensor.

This time waited >5 minutes to allow it to stabilize.

Tried the manual choice 10.01

Hit OK.

No pop up.

Didn't find sensor.

Put sensor in linking mode.

Try manual choice again.

Hit OK.

No pop up.

Found and added sensor with three additions in My Lighting.

Reported firmware by ISY as V.00.

I did get a confirmation box if I tried the set options for the motion sensor.

Windows XP 5.1.2600 SP3 build 2600

All Critical Updates from Microsoft including the Net Framework ones.

I am not a software type.

Is the fact that over the years I have gotten multiple Net Framework

Version a problem?

2.0 SP2

3.0 SP2

3.5 SP1

4 Client Profile

Java 6 update 20 (build 1.6.0_20-b02)

Accessing the ISY99i with the Java Applet.

Zone Alarm 9.2.057.000 ISY URL in Trusted Zone

Ad-Aware Free v 8.3.0

AVG 9.0.839

IE8 8.0.6001.18702

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my $.02 ...

I had this exact problem and it drove me NUTS. I factory reset the motion sensor, removed from ISY and tried to re-add, but would consistently get those errors.

The solution?

Just like iostream said, let the motion sensor rest. Seriously! Come back the next morning, put it in linking mode, link with ISY as you've done and it will link the first time without problems.

I don't know exactly how much sleep the motion sensor requires, but overnight worked for me.

I also never get the "put in linking mode" warning dialogue.

Archived