Upgrade Failed :Failed Uploading File

Mark Sanctuary

Oh no...

I was going along working on renaming a program then got a popup error. So I closed the web browser and cleared the java cache and tried to log back in only to find all my programs where gone. Then I cleared all the caches again and tried to do a restore from last night’s backup. It only got about a third of the way through and gave me Upgrade Failed :Failed Uploading File (report written size is invalid) error. Now when I restart I can only login as admin and all devices/scenes/programs are gone. I am using 2.8.1 and my backup is from 2.8.0 from last night when I upgraded.

What sould I do next?

It was a corrupt filesytem as best I can tell because a format from the ISY telnet window, latest firmware, and then restoring the backup did fix it. Also throughout the whole process deciced to update and greatly improve the Wiki entry on formatting the SD card.

Wiki: Replacing/Formatting an SD Card

Michel, Please review the Wiki entry and let me know if there is anything you would like improved/changed on this topic since I am not the expert on it I am sure there is a few more things that could be there. Thanks!

I too recently had a problem with a corrupt file system on 2.8.0. I decided to move my ISY-99i to a different location so I unplugged it moved it and when I powered it up I had a flashing Error Light. It had no access to the network (no ping, no telnet). So I hooked up a serial cable. This showed me it had a corrupt file system. I did a factory reset and then restore and was able to get everything running. The ISY was running fine before I pulled the power.

I took a look at the wiki and it looks nice. You might mention that all commands must be in upper case, not just the 'Y' answer. This is what the manual states although I have never tried lower case command entries. Also maybe you could add a picture of the ISY with external SD access.

This is the first time for me with having a corrupt file system since getting my ISY-99i a few years ago. Wow yours even was unable to use the network resources and you had to go to serial! I wonder if you pulled the SD card and formatted it in the PC if you could have gotten the network resources working again without using the serial port? Maybe we need to add the connecting it by serial port process too to the Wiki?

I think the lower case is fine for the rest of the commands but when I tried the lower case y for the format it seemed to not do anything so then I retried with the upper case Y and it did format that time.

My ISY does not have the slot on the side for the external access so I am not able to take that picture...does yours, want to take the pic for me? If so I did my pic on white paper under one of our halogen can lights all the way on. I don't have a light box which would be the best lighting without shadows so instead I just tried to center it under the can light to avoid the shadow but as you can see I did not get is exactly centered. I plan to photo shop the current pic to remove the shadows at work next week.

Thanks for the feedback on the Wiki! Sure does help!

Thanks,

This is the first time for me with having a corrupt file system since getting my ISY-99i a few years ago. Wow yours even was unable to use the network resources and you had to go to serial! I wonder if you pulled the SD card and formatted it in the PC if you could have gotten the network resources working again without using the serial port? Maybe we need to add the connecting it by serial port process too to the Wiki?
My ISY was configured for a static IP address and since the file system was corrupted it may have lost that setting. I didn't check my DHCP server to see if was there. Formatting the card on a PC is a good idea. Maybe next time. :wink:

The wiki does have info on connecting to the ISY via the serial port just not in your section on replacing the SD card. I don't think it is needed in the replacing the SD card section.

My ISY does not have the slot on the side for the external access so I am not able to take that picture...does yours, want to take the pic for me? If so I did my pic on white paper under one of our halogen can lights all the way on. I don't have a light box which would be the best lighting without shadows so instead I just tried to center it under the can light to avoid the shadow but as you can see I did not get is exactly centered. I plan to photo shop the current pic to remove the shadows at work next week.
I do have the ISY-99i with external access. PM me with your e-mail and I'll try to get you a picture.

Very nice Mark!

It was a corrupt filesytem as best I can tell because a format from the ISY telnet window, latest firmware, and then restoring the backup did fix it. Also throughout the whole process deciced to update and greatly improve the Wiki entry on formatting the SD card.

Wiki: Replacing/Formatting an SD Card

Michel, Please review the Wiki entry and let me know if there is anything you would like improved/changed on this topic since I am not the expert on it I am sure there is a few more things that could be there. Thanks!

Archived