Can we get an update on ELK integration?

richardl007

I am in the process of purchasing all the components for an ELK-M1Gold and installing it my self.

I would like to know if there is any documentation that explains the current integration between ISY and ELK?

And then what can we expect with the new ELK ISY Integration Module that is currently being worked on?

Things like new features, will ISY be able to use alarm events from ELK, etc...

I have an old HAI Aegis (predecessor to Omni Pro) automation/security system with programming capability that can output X-10 (unfortunately no Insteon). Just got the ISY a couple of weeks ago and still learning, but what I did is plug the PLM into the same circuit as the X-10 interface module of the Aegis, with the idea of using X-10 signals sent by the Aegis (outputs of programs) as input (triggers) for ISY programs. The X-10 unit numbers I'm using for this purpose are not assigned to any real devices.

This works within its limitations and with a slight time delay, but I'm wondering what I'd be gaining by using an Elk with the upcoming ISY integration module?

Hi all, an update on ELK module: we are the final stages of testing and everything looks very good/promising.

frankv, with the ELK module you get to have ISY programs that react to ELK events such as zone's tripping and then be able to impact ELK operations (such as arm/disarm). This is in addition to whatever you can already do with ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 3 weeks later...

Hi richardl007,

Yes, please do hold your breath ... the reason for the delay is that our SSL2048 code introduce very many bugs that we are trying to fix including email/notification issues and an occasional system hang during SSL negotiations not to mention corrupted backup files.

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...

Michel,

I have a pre-release question about the ISY Elk integration (Module)...I know it's not ready yet and I say it's done when it's done...That being said, here's the question. If you chose not to answer it I understand completely.

Will the ISY be able to email based on a zone status change of state on the elk panel regardless of whether or it is armed or disarmed?

Thank you.

If you can't answer it, thank you also. Keep up the good work.

Michel,

This would be a great feature. I have many zones that are not security related such as sump pump over limit, water leak detector, etc. I would like to suggest to include ability to send out an email based on the state change of an output as well. It would be great to be able to send out these emails regardless of the elk arm status.

gatchel Great idea!

Will the ISY be able to email based on a zone status change of state on the elk panel regardless of whether or it is armed or disarmed?

Doesn't the elk alarm do this already? We shouldn't ask michael to reinvent the wheel..?? If I'm wrong I apologize.

polexian I certainly agree that there's no reason to ask UD to spend resources to reinvent the perfect wheel. However I don't that this is the case here. It probably is a good idea to post some of the reasons why this capability interests me.

The ELK has a cryptic rule engine that does not compare to the power of the ISY programing logic. (Also, I'm personally nearing the limit of my ELK program storage capacity which is not much.)

The ISY may have access to data/events that the ELK would not have which could be incorporated in to the ISY logic along with the ELK input/output status.

No need to maintain Insteon devices/status in both ISY and ELK. Some of my program logic and notifications would include ELK input/output states and a Insteon device state/change events.

The ELK email notifications are very limited. 16 fixed text messages 255 characters long sent to fixed addresses 48 characters long max.

I would think that we could use ISY variables in emails and this would be a great advantage.

I doubt that ELK will be able to address these limitations on the current M1G platform because of hardware limitations.

I think the request is more like going from a square wheel to a high performance round wheel. I hope this helps understand the request and thanks for challenging the justification. If I'm missing something in ELK's capabilities please let me know.

One thing that Michel has said is that the ISY will NOT have access to the ELK outputs through the interface. I don't know if that has changed, but apparently, although you will be able to use ELK zones as devices in the ISY, that does not go for outputs. Bummer. So any rules in ELK that depend on the status of an output will have to stay as an ELK rule and not an ISY program.

my understanding is no output status or control. I could be wrong. It is a bummer, but it is still miles ahead of what we have now. I always found outputs to be useful timers when writing rules in the ELK. I had hopes of using these as timers for the ISY as well.

Well, it isn't the end of the world. Since outputs can't turn on by themselves, whatever the conditions that turn the output on in an Elk rule could be copied in an ISY program and a variable could be set to mimic the output status. It just makes for duplication. Timers can be fashioned in ISY as well, using "from/for" and "wait" commands.

I was just hoping to move as much as possible into ISY.

ryarber, apostolakisl, polexian

You 3 scare me. I am planning on upgrading my 30 year old security system with the ELK M1. But I find I have no idea what you 3 are talking about. One thing I hope to get with the ELK is integration between my ISY, the security system and my Russound whole house audio distribution system. Some forum discussions complain about duplication. But I guess I just don't understand exactly why 'rules' to control Insteon devices are any different than what can be done in the ISY.

I am hoping the promised ELK module will provide a seamless and complete connection with my home systems and existing ISY set-up. Wiring in the existing harness to the new ELK will be a challenge with some frustrating days I will spend "in the closet". Beyond that, I am looking forward to an integrated home automation system that includes security along with the control features I currently have.

Sorry, didn't mean to scare you :lol:

If you have never used Elk programming you will see what we are talking about. It is not the most elegant programming interface. It works however and is very reliable. It is just tough to organize, trouble shoot, and is memory deficient.

Elk is a rock solid security system and is very capable as far as HA is concerned, it just isn't elegant. I like programming ISY better. I had hoped that every input/output/status on Elk would be integrated to ISY. Perhaps not, we'll see.

I don't know anything about Russound. How are you integrating that. Is there an Elk firmware package for an xsp unit? I doubt that ISY will have direct access to it if that is the case. But I imagine there will be a way to control it somehow.

And, I JUST KNOW THIS IS GOING TO BE THE WEEK THAT ELK INTEGRATION IS ANNOUNCED!!!! :D:):(:o:shock::lol::!::?::?:

Archived