Keypad button not updated with Switchlinc status

tome

I have a problem with several scenes in my house and am wondering if it is my misunderstanding rather then an ISY problem. As one example:

I have some lights in a garden shed that are tied to a Switchlinc out there and I called it GardenShedLights in the ISY.

I have a 6-button Keypad in my Kitchen that I wish to control the shed lights and also be updated (On lit, or Off lit) when someone switches on/off the light in the shed. I called this KitchenKeypad in the ISY. I want to use the big on/off buttons on this keypad.

I created a scene called ShedLight with GardenShedLights and KitchenKeypad.1 in it.

If I click on KitchenKeypad.1 in the device list it says in the Membership area:

KitchenKeypad.1

Manages

ShedLight

GardenShedlights

Is Manged By

Shedlight

If I click on the Switchlinc (GardenShedLights) it says in the Membership area:

GardenShedLights

Manages

Is Manged By

Shedlight

KitchenKeypad.1

Now it mostly works, however, if someone goes out to the shed and turns on the lights attached to the switchlinc the kitchen keypad status is not updated. The "on" light doesn't come on. If I hit the kitchen keypad "off" key, the lights will go out and "off" will be illuminated on the keypad, but the status on the keypad does not seem to be updated automatically from the switchlinc.

What didi I do wrong? As I say I have this problem on several simple set ups like this one.

Tome

It appears that your switchlinc in the gardenshed is only a responder to the scene, not a controller.

It does turn the light on becuase it is (I assume) the load. But it won't turn on the other switches in the scene.

Try removing it from the scene and then adding it back to the scene as a controller.

Thanks for the response. Is it possible to have multiple controllers in a scene?

Tome

Hello tome,

Yes, you can have as many controllers as you would like in a single scene. The only limitation is that a controller can be a controller for one and only one scene.

With kind regards,

Michel

A related but slightly different question:

Let's say I have three switches in a scene, all as controllers. Two are switchlincs and one a keypadlinc (I want one of the keypad buttons to light in sync with switchlincs).

If a program causes one of the switchlincs to come on, will the keypad link button then come on because they are in a scene together? Or does manipulating the switch with a program somehow negate the scene relationship?

Thanks for your help,

Tome

Tom,

Of course what Michel said is correct. But I know your confusion.

Here is a way to think about it that I think helps.

A controller (or manager as listed in the membership tree) only does the controlling when it is switched locally (i.e. you actually push the botton on the kpl or hit the swtichlinc paddle).

No matter how else you change the status of that device, it is only a responder (or managed by).

So, in the fewest words possible, for a device to tell another device to do something, it must have been pushed directly.

Keep in mind, that a load connected directly to that switch will do as the switch does regardless of how it got that way.

If you want the scene to turn on, put the scene in your program and then the whole shabang does its thing. Don't just list a switch even if it is a controller.

If you want the scene to turn on, put the scene in your program and then the whole shabang does its thing. Don't just list a switch even if it is a controller.

Michel and Apostolakisl,

Thank you both for your help. Concise and understood. It also explains the other problem I was having that had an identical end-result as the problem with the gardenshed lights.

Tome

Archived