How To: Enable Internet Access

Michel Kohanim

• 2 months later...

Hello.

I have Comcast for internet and an Airport Extreme router. I think Comcast is changing IPs and I have lost my ISY 994 connection to the internet for a few months now. Time to fix it.

Based on what I'm reading either I:

1. purchase a router that permits setting DDNS; or

2. get a Raspberry Pi behind the router which I know very little about.

Are those my only options? I would like to connect to the internet again and not sure what my next step is. I have Logitech Alert security cameras and a Nest thermostat.

I am just stymied here. Thank you for any and all help.

Mike

1. purchase a router that permits setting DDNS; or

This is the solution I eventually implemented. Because of the router I chose, DynDNS was my only choice, but their service has been working well for me so far. It costs around $25/year, or you can buy a multi-year deal at a discount.

However, it is not the only choice.

Many DNS services make available a small program. This program resides on some machine, somewhere (it could be the Raspberry PI you mentioned, but doesn't have to be). Periodically, it checks the IP assigned to your router by your ISP, and when it detects a change, it signals the DNS service, which updates the relevant records. You can read more about the DynDNS solution here; other vendors offer similar solutions. Ideally, this machine runs often or continuously, but most ISPs do not change the IP assigned to you very often - every few days is typical.

By default HTTPS traffic is on, I think, port 443. Some ISPs do not want you hosting webpages (for this discussion the ISY is a webserver), so they block traffic on that port. However, you can change that port using the ISY console (Configuration Tab, Network Settings Box, Https Port item). There are threads on this elsewhere on this site. Many routers support Universal Plug N Play; if yours does, then the ISY can automatically set up port forwarding, and will do so when you selecting File -> Enable Internet Access from the Console. Otherwise you will need to consult your router's manual for how to set up port forwarding manually. If you use a port other than 443, then you need to include it in your URL, like this: https://

: - you follow the URL with a colon, and then the port number you chose. To minimize the chance of collisions, chose a port number between 2000 and 65530 (it is a 16-bit integer, but I think some of the ones at the top might have dedicated uses, and most of the ones < 2000 do).

Personally, I'd look for a router that supports dns-o-matic. They will then take the DNS updates and forward them to any number of ddns services - many free ones. I've had perfect service from them updating my dns.he.net zones - all at not cost - from an Asus router.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok I'm new and I have a big problem don't know what to do now? I got my ISY hooked up ok on local computer and also have the snap switch app for windows phone set up and working, I  also have set up 1 device so far and it works fine on/off I will work on learning programing later. So everything works while 0n the home network but  I now want to get the remote internet access? port forwarding? set up and I have tried but Failed Big Time. some how I can't even get back into the console to make changes. I think the problem came when I set both port# to 500 which I thought I had to from 80 / 443. when I type in my browser the ip address the java box comes up but just spins? I really need someone to help walk me threw this mess I made and then help me with setting up this port forwarding  please.

Thanks Perry.

Hi Perry,

I am so very sorry to hear. You are correct: you might have set the same port for both http and https. The only solution is to factory reset ISY and then restore a good backup.

And, please do not hesitate to contact us in case we can be of any further assistance.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks Michel,  Ok so I have all set back up and running again after reset, I really need help setting up the internet access/port forwarding.. But 1st off I just purchased this ISY994IR pro from smart home and the receipt says it is but how do I know its a IR-PRO because no were on the isy does it read IR-PRO or does it need to be updated?  Then if some one could please help me walk threw this internet access would be great, my modem is a netgear B99755044 (7550) I am also using snap switch for windows phone and works great when at home on my network but also want to access when away from the house. I have tried reading all the info available but now I'm more confuse than ever. my time is best after 7>00pm I could do a little each night. thanks for any help you can do.  Perry..

I don't think Smarthome sent what you ordered.

Thanks LeeG, After speaking to universal devices also about this I know that smart home has sent me the wrong item # ISY and I will deal with them to exchange it for the right one.

thanks again for your help.

• 7 months later...

The attached shows my Linksys Port Forwarding screen. What do I put in for the Internal Port value? Thanks, Lp

You can select any port you wish so long as it doesn't conflict with any *known* ports already in use. If you Google for known ports you will find a long list of common ports and what they are intended and used for.

The attached shows my Linksys Port Forwarding screen. What do I put in for the Internal Port value? Thanks, Lp

http defaults to port 80 and is typical for ISY internally to your LAN. In the Admin Console look under Help|About

DDNS requires a DDNS provider service. This sends  updates of any changes in your external ISP IP address to the DDNS provider. Tthen you should be able to  remotely access your ISY, using the URL they issue you, through their IP/port conversion to your router and it's IP/port conversion to your ISY.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have been using http for quite a few years now and stumbled upon this thread. So I logged into my router and changed the port to 55443 tof be fwd to 443, didn't login to my isy at all, and now I can't login at all. Changed back no go.

Problem is that it's in a remote location and I can't even reboot it, when logging in to pc in that network it doesn't even find the isy with ip scanner, any suggestions?

Port 443 and 55443 are secure ports and require https://

Thats right, thats why I changed my router settings to connect to my ISY securely. As I said I cant login remotely via HTTPS: not thru my mobilinc and nor locally thru my pc, haven't tried to reboot the ISY yet, only hope is that that will help. 

I would back up to basics using 443 all the way through and see if you can make it work and then start converting ports. I changed my port 443 to a higher, less common, port number and use it from remote to the ISY without any port forwarding, just IP conversion based on that port coming in remotely. I haven't found any location that refuses to transport that higher port number yet.

Archived