SignalLincs AND Accesspoints ... Good thing or Bad thing?

sceaton

Lately I've been having some communication issues (Request Failed's, etc.)

I ordered 2 accesspoints because from what I gather they retransmit a stronger signal than the 2 signallincs which I currently have. I wont' be using the RF for the remotelinc, i just need them to phase couple.

Is there any advantage to keeping the signallincs and use them IN ADDITION to the accesspoints? Will this potentially degrade the signal because of timing issues, or enhance the signal because of more repeaters on the network?

Thanks!

~shawn

My understanding is thus:

You can use both accesspoint and signalincs at the same time with out interfering with each outer, but the accesspoints and the signalincs won't be communicating with each out either.

So adding the old signalincs back in will help, but not as much as if they where all accesspoints.

Nick

• 4 months later...

I have a related set of questions:

I have a 2600 square foot house with 2 Signal Lincs and 4 Access points. Communications used to be good and now seems to be failing again. It seems like gross over kill but it the only way I originally got a clean query across the entire network from my ISY26.

My question is:

After you "pair" up Access points, or signal lincs, particularly in my x4 Access Point setup, if I move one of the units, do I have to re-"pair"?

My understanding was the units flashed during pairing to confirm that they were on separate phases. If I know they are still on separate phases do I have to re-pair?

After you "pair" up Access points, or signal lincs, particularly in my x4 Access Point setup, if I move one of the units, do I have to re-"pair"?

There is no actual "pairing" going on. The only reason you would want to go through the documented steps again would be to ensure the units are still on separate phases.

Technically, if you knew for certain the outlets you wanted to install them on were on separate phases, you could simply plug them in and go.

Archived