can't see my 2420 motion sensor in ISY 99

titan

Hi,

I recently purchased a insteon wireless motion sensor and I can get it to link with a lamplinc module, but I can't get it to link up with the 2413s PLM hooked up to my isy. I can't see the motion sensor on the ISY screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Tom

titan

Select Link Management | New INSTEON Device

Enter Address, Name, and select INSTEON Motion Sensor Device Type

Put the Motion Sensor into linking mode by pressing Motion Sensor Set button for 4 seconds. Red LED should be blinking.

Click on Ok to add device to the ISY

Lee

titan

Select Link Management | New INSTEON Device

Enter Address, Name, and select INSTEON Motion Sensor Device Type

Put the Motion Sensor into linking mode by pressing Motion Sensor Set button for 4 seconds. Red LED should be blinking.

Click on Ok to add device to the ISY

Lee

Lee

That did the trick. I needed to select motion from the pull down menu. If you just leave it on automatic, the linking process does not work.

Thx. again.

Tom

titan,

When you click one of the three motion devices in the admin console, what version is it showing up as? Mine shows up as the following:

(2420M) INSTEON Motion Sensor v.00

Just curious if others are getting the v.00 as well

Just curious if others are getting the v.00 as well

I have two of the older sensors (version 1.1 if I remember correctly) and they report as v.00 in the ISY. I also checked some sensors purchased just recently and they show the same.

You're not alone.

Ok. That's what I am finding with adding any device manually. If you pick the device type from the pull down menu, the device shows up as v.00. You must do this with the motion sensor. However, I did this initially with my brand new swtichlinc relays, and they showed up as v.00 and I couldn't adjust the LED brightness from the ISY. I deleted them and re-added them the 'start linking' way, and they show the proper version now.

Looks like a bug with the pull down menu?

• 10 months later...

I just bought a new ISY-99i with a 2413S (the smarthome bundle) and a couple of wireless motion sensors (2420M), and I had the exact same problem.

It turns out that when I place the wireless module right next to the 2413S (about 5 inches away) it does not recognize it (I tried 2). However, also have an access module and when I placed it next to the access module it got recognized immediately.

Does this sound right? Is the 2413S PLM unable to program the 2420M? Or is it possible the 2413S antenna is broken?

Do you happen to have the Hardware revision number on the PLM?

I just got a new 2413S. Hardware 1.5. Firmware reported by ISY99 is 98.

My older 2413S was Hardware 1.0. Firmware reported by ISY99 as 92.

I can try a RemoteLinc next to it and have both of my 2443 Access Points disconnected. That way the only RF receiver would be my 2413S.

oatflake

A few inches away may be overloading the receiver. Move the motion sensor to a few feet away.

Lee

Just got home and tried it with all 3 of my sensors, and none of them will link at 5 feet, 10 feet, or 20 feet away with only the PLM.

Is there a way to determine if the PLM can see any RF signals at all?

Do 4 taps of the Set button on an Access Point and see if the PLM LED shows an RF signal being received.

If I do 4 taps on one Access Point the PLM LED flashes green. If I do 4 taps on the PLM the Access Point flashes red. I do have to relocate one Access Point to be about 10 feet away from the PLM for this work. Normally it's down the hall near the circuit breaker and back door, where the Motion Sensor is supposed to be. If I leave it there and do the 4 tap test, the lights don't flash at all in either direction.

Procedure I'm using to find the Motion Sensor is:

Link Management->New INSTEON Device

I hand type in the Address from the sticker on the back, give it a creative name, the use the pulldown menu and select device type 10.01, Insteon Motion Sensor.

At this point a big pop-up box tells me to press and hold the little button inside the battery door until the Motion Sensor's light flashes rapidly, which I do.

I then place the sensor down about 6 feet away from the PLM, click OK and then wait. The error I get is something about a high water mark and with no device enabled.

If I follow the exact procedure, but this time place the device within 10 feet of the Access Point instead of the PLM, it configures the device.

Hi oatflake,

I think I responded to your previous post. There has been reports of the dual band PLM having issues with RF devices but in all those cases, the issue seems to have revolved around RF devices in the same frequency range (900 MHz) such as baby monitors. Do you have any?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi oatflake,

I think I responded to your previous post. There has been reports of the dual band PLM having issues with RF devices but in all those cases, the issue seems to have revolved around RF devices in the same frequency range (900 MHz) such as baby monitors. Do you have any?

With kind regards,

Michel

Nope, no baby monitors, or cordless phones. The only things I have that are wireless are my g/n router.

If there were issues with interference, I'd figure the Access Points wouldn't work either, but they seem to do just fine. The wireless system in the Access Points and the PLM should be the same, right?

oatflake

As is often the case things are not absolute. I changed my ISY PLM to a new 2413S at v98 firmware. Added two v2 Motion Sensors with no issues. Unplugged the Access Points before doing this so the only RF path is the 2413S v98 PLM. Of course this does not in any way resolve the situation you are seeing but it does show that not all Dual Band PLMs have a problem with Motion Sensors.

Also has a RemoteLinc 2 defined which has no problem communicating with the new v98 PLM.

Lee

Archived