2.8.10 - Motion sensor HELL

killervette

I upgraded to 2.8.10 RC6 and trying to add remove motion sensors is impossible. I delete a motion sensor. I go to link a new insteon device. I type the address and choose 2420m. I have Remove Links checked. I hit ok and no popup comes up about holding the set button for 5 seconds. Then i get errors from isy about not being able to write the highwater. Please advise.

Hello killervette,

My first recommendation:

1. Please make sure your Java cache is cleared ( http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... Java_Cache ) and that you are using the correct URL for 2.8.10:

http://your.isy.ip.address/admin or admin.jnlp

http://www.universal-devices.com/99i/2.8.10 or /2.8.10/admin.jnlp

2. Make sure you do NOT have any green 0101 icons next to any of your devices. This is VERY important. If you do, disable them

With kind regards,

Michel

java was cleared. I am using the correct url. No icons. Now my issue is I deleted all the motion sensors. I cannot add them back. When adding do I need to press anything on the wireless access point?

Your Accesspoint should not require any "presses". It may, however, have locked up, or your RF signal path may have changed due to things in your home being "re-arranged".

1) In it's existing location - reset the AP by unplugging for ~10 seconds and then re-install (powerline spikes may have upset the AP). Re-try adding your 2420's.

2) If #1 doesn't work, try moving your AP closer to the 2420 (RF transmission my be obstructed).

• 5 weeks later...

I am currently using version 2.8.16.

My 2420M version is REV 1.1.

I would try to add the Insteon device manually using the "Auto Discover" Device Type setting. This would NOT work for me. (I would press the SET button on the 2420M and hold it until the LED would start flashing. Then, I would click it one more time and the LED would change to a "double-flash".) I would receive an error stating that the "links could not be removed and cannot write the highwater mark."

Here is what worked for me...

1. Press and hold the SET button on the 2420M until the LED starts flashing (5 sec).

2. Press the SET button once more and the LED will start to "double-flash".

3. Select "Link Management / New Insteon Device" from the ISY pull-down menu.

4. Type in the "Address" of the 2420M. (This number is stenciled inside of the battery compartment.)

5. Enter the "Name" you will be using to describe this motion sensor.

6. Select "(2420M) - Insteon Motion Sensor" from the "Device Type" drop down list.

7. Click "OK".

The ISY should immediately detect the sensor and add three new entries to your My Lighting list... "Sensor", "Dusk/Dawn", and "Low Bat".

Hope this helps.

wharris

Thanks for posting the information on your success.

The second Set button tap to cause the "double flash" is not necessary.

The Auto Discover does not work with a Motion Sensor. The technique you discovered that works is the procedure described in the ISY User Guide for adding a Motion Sensor.

The ISY User Guide and Wiki are very good sources for how to information.

Lee

Archived