Programming Question - keep lights on

gadgetfreak

Hi gadgetfreak,

As kingwr correctly suggested, your devices NEED to have links (master) in the PLM.

Please go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table, once done, click on the Count button. You should have AT LEAST 1.5x as many links in your PLM as the number of devices (KPL 6 button counts as 6). If the number is anything lower, then in all likelihood either the PLM is defective or someone has done a factory reset on it.

To rectify, you can try File | Restore Modem (PLM).

With kind regards,

Michel

How do I add "parenthesis around the ORed control statements"?

Sorry I missed this one earlier. On the lower right-hand side of the GUI, there are buttons to add "And ( )" and Or ( )." Using them is a bit of an art: 1) select the button to add the parenthtical into your top level condition with an And or an Or as needed, 2) add you conditions for the parenthetical in the normal fashion (this will append them to the bottom of the top level condition, and then 3) use the "Move Line Up" button to move the conditions into the parenthetical one-by-one. You may then need to select the lines and adjust the OR or AND for the condition to get it to read the way you want.

Note that without the parenthesis, I believe the order of operations is AND and then OR.

Hi gadgetfreak,

As kingwr correctly suggested, your devices NEED to have links (master) in the PLM.

Please go to Tools | Diagnostics | Show PLM Links Table, once done, click on the Count button. You should have AT LEAST 1.5x as many links in your PLM as the number of devices (KPL 6 button counts as 6). If the number is anything lower, then in all likelihood either the PLM is defective or someone has done a factory reset on it.

To rectify, you can try File | Restore Modem (PLM).

With kind regards,

Michel

I did as you said and my count is 220. That seems to make sense as I have around 50 devices and 5+ 8-button KPLs. So I guess that is not the problem. Any other suggestions.

How do I add "parenthesis around the ORed control statements"?

Sorry I missed this one earlier. On the lower right-hand side of the GUI, there are buttons to add "And ( )" and Or ( )." Using them is a bit of an art: 1) select the button to add the parenthtical into your top level condition with an And or an Or as needed, 2) add you conditions for the parenthetical in the normal fashion (this will append them to the bottom of the top level condition, and then 3) use the "Move Line Up" button to move the conditions into the parenthetical one-by-one. You may then need to select the lines and adjust the OR or AND for the condition to get it to read the way you want.

Note that without the parenthesis, I believe the order of operations is AND and then OR.

Thanks for the info. But can I assume that, based on my extremely simple program just to try to get this working, the parenthesis won't affect anything?

You don't need the parenthesis in your simple program. In the following program without parenthesis:

If 
       Control '.Lights / Bathroom - Master' is switched Off 
    Or Control '.Lights / Bathroom - Powder' is switched Off 
   And From    10:00:00PM 
       To      Sunrise (next day) 
Then 
       Set Scene 'Bathrooms - All' On 
Else 
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action') 

the program condition will evaluate to true, i.e. run the then path, if the Powder Room lights are switched off between 10 PM and sunrise, but also will evaluate to true anytime the Master Bath lights are switched off, because of the AND being evaluated first in the condition before the OR.

Again, you may want to get independent verification of that fact, but that is my understanding.

I did as you said and my count is 220. That seems to make sense as I have around 50 devices and 5+ 8-button KPLs. So I guess that is not the problem. Any other suggestions.

If you right-click on the device and choose "Diagnostics->Show Device Links Table," you should see at least one link with the address of your PLM and a 00 group code. Without that entry, my understanding is that the device will not brodcast any information when it is locally controlled.

Gadgetfreak

But can I assume that, based on my extremely simple program just to try to get this working, the parenthesis won't affect anything?

Your conclusion is right on. The parentheses make no difference in the execution of two simple statements ORed together.

Sometimes adding parenthesis makes it easier to follow the AND/OR relationships even when no actual change to the logic is accomplished. It can also eliminate the need to know/remember order of precedence between AND/OR. In this simple case there is no real advantage to that.

The Wiki has a good article on parentheses and order of precedence.

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... tion_Order

Lee

If you right-click on the device and choose "Diagnostics->Show Device Links Table," you should see at least one link with the address of your PLM and a 00 group code. Without that entry, my understanding is that the device will not brodcast any information when it is locally controlled.

I did as you suggested. I have 16 links associated with the "Bathroom - Powder" light switch. I am not sure what the address of my PLM is nor do I know what a 00 group code means. But it seems that this has proper links so the fact that it still doesn't properly control the scene remains a mystery. Any further advice? Thx.

Archived