Insteon Energy Display

Brian H

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to determine if this can be used as a remote thermostat type device with insteon and isy99. Example -- if the 2448 can sense temperature where it is located, I can have a program on my isy99 turn on the fan on my 2491T1 Thermostat to circulate a little air and if it still doesn't satisfy the program after a set period, bring on the air conditioner to assist. It seems like an less expensive alternative than using another 2491t1 with only power connected as I had planned.

The only other thing I saw was 24950A7 which is a kluge with a not so sophisticated temperature sensor that is set with a wrench and a screwdriver. Yuk

I see the Full Users Manual and Quick Start Guide are now on the site.

I have downloaded them and I am going to look them over.

I also found some Internal and External Photos of it. Along with some test results. On the FCC web site database.

• 1 month later...
I'm trying to determine if this can be used as a remote thermostat type device with insteon and isy99. Example -- if the 2448 can sense temperature where it is located, I can have a program on my isy99 turn on the fan on my 2491T1 Thermostat to circulate a little air and if it still doesn't satisfy the program after a set period, bring on the air conditioner to assist. It seems like an less expensive alternative than using another 2491t1 with only power connected as I had planned.

The only other thing I saw was 24950A7 which is a kluge with a not so sophisticated temperature sensor that is set with a wrench and a screwdriver. Yuk

I'm in the same boat as you. I was going to use the remote temerature sensors for the T1900 but found out that they don't read out through the Insteon interface, which would have been the best way to do it. Adding more thermostats is not my favorite because it's a bit expensive and I have to route power to them through the walls which is possible but not fun. The iMeter display would be fantastic for this... easy to put anywhere and also provide some semi-useful power information.

Looking at the manual I don't see any indication that you can read the temperature which it detects. I guess we may have to wait till it ships and we can look at one.

I've already got mine on order. It says "If you use home automation controllers such as HouseLinc 2 or ISY-99i, you can link group 4 of the Energy Display to your PLM and it will broadcast its temperature every 3 minutes to the PLM if temp has changed +/-1 degree within a 3 minute window." I'm hoping the isy-99 will have a interface ready when it is released so we can read and display the group 4 data. Keep your fingers crossed. I like the 3 minute window feature, to keep the traffic down, but it would be nice to have that programmable to a little shorter time if needed.

Anyone from UDI have an update on the interface to this device???

• 5 months later...
Hello fwoitine,

We will be working on supporting this device as soon as we are done with ELK. Unfortunately I cannot give you a firm date.

With kind regards,

Michel

Just wanted to add my name on the list of people interested in the future support for this endeavor. :mrgreen:

Teken . . .

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Teken,

Unfortunately not.

With kind regards,

Michel

I don't follow?  :?

This device won't be added into the ISY data base on a basic level? Never mind what is stated on the Smarthome sales page?

Coming Soon: Temperature Reporting via Software

If you use ISY-99i, you'll be able to receive an alert if temperature changed +/-2 degrees within a 3 minute window. This will allow the software to display temperature from the room where the Energy Display is located or allow you to set up conditions or triggers for initiating control of other devices in the home. Support will be available later this year.

Hi Teken,

We will ask SmartHome to update the website. We cannot support this device because it does not act like any other INSTEON device. i.e. you will have to query it all the time and since it's battery operated, it fails.

With kind regards,

Michel

I understood this device would broadcast a change in temperature +/- 2' degree within a 3 minute window all by itself and did not rely on querying the device?

Would you kindly engage your Smarthome contacts and requests they clarify how this device is supposed to operate. A definitive answer for the collective group would at least be expected.

This is clearly another example of NOT being an early adopter in some of these newly released devices!  :|   :?

From what I have seen. After it sends an RF broadcast it goes back to sleep in a few seconds.

Unless your software or firmware is ready to instantly trigger a keep awake command. You can't do much.

I would not like to see an ISY994i or ISY994i twiddling its thumbs waiting for a broadcast so it can instantkly send a stay awake command. So you could query it.

I understand Houselinc and maybe the HUB. Are always waiting for RF messages so they can instantly send a stay alive command.

How is it that the ISY can respond to the buttons on a remote control unit, or pings from the water sensor (both wireless units) - but not receive the temp from this when it is periodically sent? Does not make sense to me. An access point or dual band device should receive the wireless signal and retransmit it as a wired Insteon signal. You would think the PLM could see the message, and route it to the ISY where it can then trigger things, just like any other wireless device.

How is it that the ISY can respond to the buttons on a remote control unit, or pings from the water sensor (both wireless units) - but not receive the temp from this when it is periodically sent? Does not make sense to me. An access point or dual band device should receive the wireless signal and retransmit it as a wired Insteon signal. You would think the PLM could see the message, and route it to the ISY where it can then trigger things, just like any other wireless device.

Exactly . . .

Unfortunately the RF only devices go back to sleep immediately.   That is why the ISY does not support issuing a Stay Awake to RF only devices because it requires the ISY to have a task that runs regardless of anything else that may be running at the time.  Even HL Stay Awake does not always work because of other system activity.

What I find interesting is the sales page says it supports 3 controller groups.

If it can process three IMeters and a Internal Temperature sensor. My math says you need four controller groups not three.

Maybe Temperature is a phantom unsupported group.

I think some of the basics are being lost in this discussion. Please let me clarify how *I believe its supposed to work* Very much like a remote linc once you press the button a signal is sent relaying what ever data / command.

This device should it *Feel* a change of XX degree's with in 3 minutes is supposed to fire off a signal / command indicating the change of temperature etc.

I am not asking that this device be queried or told to stay awake. The device is supposed to wake up all buy itself and send the temperature to whatever HA controller.

Michael Wareman explained it exactly as I would expect it to operate like any other wireless device.

Now, it comes down to first supporting the device to see what it can do. Opposed to what it can't do because none of us have been able to add it in and see what it does. I am more than happy to beta test firmware to see how it operates. 

Archived