Insteon Power Line Modem (PLM) Versions/Wrong PLMs Shipped

MikeB:

No X10 at that setup. Just Insteon. I'm just concerned about pulling the old 26 if there is any chance that the new PLM is going to be bad.

I'm continually amazed that after all these years we are still playing PLM games with SH!

aLf

I am just setting up an Insteon system for the first time.

I received a new ISY and PLM from Smarthome (during their 20% off sale) and tried to tie it to my existing X10 devices. While my X10 remote can send signals to the X10 devices just fine, the new PLM could not. Borrowed an older (v2.5) PLM from a friend and that worked fine. Contacted Smarthome and they didn't say anything about a known issue but sent me out a new PLM. Just received the new PLM yesterday and it also does not send X10 signals. Swapped back out for the older PLM and X10 is working.

I received a new ISY and PLM from Smarthome (during their 20% off sale) and tried to tie it to my existing X10 devices. While my X10 remote can send signals to the X10 devices just fine, the new PLM could not. Borrowed an older (v2.5) PLM from a friend and that worked fine. Contacted Smarthome and they didn't say anything about a known issue but sent me out a new PLM. Just received the new PLM yesterday and it also does not send X10 signals. Swapped back out for the older PLM and X10 is working.

Newt-

What is the firmware version of the latest PLM you got from SH?

Hi Newt,

I don't think this issue has yet trickled down to SH's support department. But, it's definitely a known issue which should be resolved within the coming days.

With kind regards,

Michel

I just received the replacement 2412S from SH in the mail yesterday. It was clearly a used one with scuff marks etc., version 2.95, which was to replace a brand new one purchased a couple of weeks ago, ver. 3.0

Plugged it into the isy last night and so far so good. It sends and receives both x10 and Insteon.

Thank you for the help and all the great posts on the forum, keep up the good work!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, this is SOOOOO frustrating. Just called Smarthome again (3rd time in 4 weeks) asking about the status of a working PLM that will actually send out X10 signals and was told (AGAIN) that "our people haven't heard there is a problem." Evidentally, that includes the two otehr times *I* have reported the problem to them.

Anyone have any suggestions?

After I installed the new ISY-99i and 2412S I had the same problem. The version of the 2412S was v3.0 and it appeared to be brand new. I called SH and talked to Dominique who was very helpful, and patient. I told him the ISY appeared to be sending the data to the 2412S but the 2412S was failing to transmit the x10 data into the power line but it would transmit and receive Insteon data and only receive x10 data. He checked into a couple of things and an hour later called me back saying he believed the 2412S was defective and was going to send a new one out. He also said there was someone else who was having the exact same problem.

When I received the replacement 2412S it was a v2.95 and appeared to be used. The cables inside the box didn’t have that brand new and fresh look to them either, and of course the box had appeared to have been opened, numerous times. When I installed the new/old 2412S it seemed to work just fine, including sending x10 data. I of course am not too happy about the replacement being used, but for the time being at least my system is working. I will deal with getting a new one when it appears they have the problem figured out.

I would suggest calling SH back, ask for Dominique and calmly explain what troubleshooting you have done and ask for a replacement with a v2.95 version (even though there is a chance it may be used at least you will be up and running for the time being).

Just my opinion, hope you get up and running soon.

Tim

Thanks! I'm currently using a friend's older PLM which is working just fine (ever earlier rev than your replacment), but of course I want to return it to him at some point. I may try to wait Smarthome out to getting the issue fixed, but I'll call them again and ask for Dominic as you suggested. I swear I'm spoken with the same guy each time and each time he says he has never heard of the issue (and puts me on hold for 10 minutes while he checks with the other members of the team who have also never heard of the issue). It's very frustrating.

I'm just starting out with Insteon and I have had to return three of the four pieces of hardware that I have installed so far (only the ISY is working as it is supposed to!). The most recent return was following the procedures in the on-line manual to turn off the RemoteLink's LED doesn't work (on my Rev 1.0, but it does on my friend's Rev 1.1). I can just imagine someone who isn't technical trying to get this all working.

I just bought and paid for a new PLM and got a Hw. 2.95 with 7A firmware. I keep seeing v85 firmware being mentioned.

Maybe I should just use my 30 day satisfaction guarantee and return it. Maybe I will do the whole order; as it looks like Smarthome has NOT changed its ways.

Soooo, how do you go from version 7A to v85? I am not understanding their versions. Would not v84 be the previous version? So where does 7A fall (is it the 78th version earlier?). I asked this question earlier but no answers to be had. And isnt selling used/refurb equipment as new against the law?

Soooo, how do you go from version 7A to v85? I am not understanding their versions. Would not v84 be the previous version? So where does 7A fall (is it the 78th version earlier?). I asked this question earlier but no answers to be had. And isnt selling used/refurb equipment as new against the law?

The revisions are numbered using hexadecimals. 0-F = 0-15. 0x7A = 122 (or 7.10). That is the firmware that is loaded into the PLM. The hardware version is on the sticker outside of the case.

Rand

Hi all,

SH was pretty quick in responding back:

- 85 started shipping today ... better equipped for larger installations (above 75 devices)

- 7A is equal to 85 .... works perfectly for smaller installations ( below 75 )

In short, if you have 7A, and an installation with

With kind regards,

Michel

Archived