Incorrect Status after Query

Guest Digger

I do a query of "My Lighting" and a few devices always come up as a Communications failure (which I have been working on for weeks but its always random).

My new question is that the query does not return the correct status (on or off) yet it supposedly communicated.

I can also do an ALL ON or an ALL OFF from the ISY and maybe one or two lights respond at most.

Why??

Sorry if some of this is already obvious to you...

1) Have you checked to see if there is an "exclamation point" next to the device (left menu) after the query. It seems to indicate the query failed and results are unpredictable. I just right click those devices and requery.

2) What version is your PLM? Is it possible you have overloaded it with links. This sounds a lot like what I was experiencing when I had exceeded the 417 foot wall.

3) Have you monitored any of the LEDs on lamplincs, controlincs, etc. If they are blinking erradicaly or for long periods it indicates communications issues (or orphaned links) and it is retrying. I have also found the retries can gum up the works.

4) Do you have any UPSs? My experience is that they are signal vacuums. lol Use the next outlet over or a filterlinc (I haven't tried these yet but just ordered one.)

I had similar problems until I started using the 62 PLM. Linking was always a nightmare too. I would get "request failed" on a random but regular basis. I don't know if it is solely the 62 PLM but my systems relaibility has improved immensely. I have been impressed. I am not sure when it is going to be generally available but it won't be soon enough.

Good Luck,

-jeff

Sorry if some of this is already obvious to you...

1) Have you checked to see if there is an "exclamation point" next to the device (left menu) after the query. It seems to indicate the query failed and results are unpredictable. I just right click those devices and requery.

2) What version is your PLM? Is it possible you have overloaded it with links. This sounds a lot like what I was experiencing when I had exceeded the 417 foot wall.

3) Have you monitored any of the LEDs on lamplincs, controlincs, etc. If they are blinking erradicaly or for long periods it indicates communications issues (or orphaned links) and it is retrying. I have also found the retries can gum up the works.

4) Do you have any UPSs? My experience is that they are signal vacuums. lol Use the next outlet over or a filterlinc (I haven't tried these yet but just ordered one.)

I had similar problems until I started using the 62 PLM. Linking was always a nightmare too. I would get "request failed" on a random but regular basis. I don't know if it is solely the 62 PLM but my systems relaibility has improved immensely. I have been impressed. I am not sure when it is going to be generally available but it won't be soon enough.

Good Luck,

-jeff

1. The ones without the ! still do not show the right status.

2. Using a PLM thats about 3 or 4 weeks old and no firmware revision marked (SH stopped marking them after 12/1/07I was told.

3. The query takes a couple of minutes and basically nothing changes as far as status.

4. I have a few UPS's but the PLC works fine. I also bought 6 filterlincs and used them on the UPS's and other things and no difference. A waste of a few hundred dollars.

I might have locked up the PLM. That would be the second one in less than 2 months. The PLM's are HORRIBLE. The ISY is great but useless without a working PLM. SH is way behind the times with the PLM. I can no longer return the ISY to SH so I have to figure out how to salvage my investment.

Hello Digger ... long time no see!

If a query does not return the correct status, then it may have not communicated. The error dialog box shows up only once if you have more than one error, for the same device, in sequence. The question is: does this happen on all your devices or only a few?

All on/off will only work if and only if your devices are part of a scene.

As far as your investment, if you wish, we'll be able to process a return for your ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

I do a query of "My Lighting" and a few devices always come up as a Communications failure (which I have been working on for weeks but its always random).

My new question is that the query does not return the correct status (on or off) yet it supposedly communicated.

I can also do an ALL ON or an ALL OFF from the ISY and maybe one or two lights respond at most.

Why??

If a query does not return the correct status, then it may have not communicated. The error dialog box shows up only once if you have more than one error, for the same device, in sequence. The question is: does this happen on all your devices or only a few?

As far as your investment, if you wish, we'll be able to process a return for your ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Why??

Pretty much all devices it seems. It may be another bad PLM.

It may be the PLM cant handle the amount of links and locks up?

PLC works fine still in the house. Device to device works fine.

Hi Digger,

It might be a defective PLM ... can you turn any device on/off?

With kind regards,

Michel

With kind regards,

Michel

Why??

Hi Digger,

It might be a defective PLM ... can you turn any device on/off?

With kind regards,

Michel

With kind regards,

Michel

Why??

At the moment no with the PLM. I just tried about 8 with houselinc and no problem with the PLC.

This is the second PLM that has died in 6 weeks or so. What is up with the PLM's?

I verified last night that the PLM could not control anything. I also tried to restore it to no avail (it trys for a few minutes and then says request failed).

Looks like I am the proud owner of a bricklinc as Sloop would say.

I will call SH tonight and see if they will exchange it. If they dont (not saying for sure that there will be a problem) you will read of an atomic blast over southern CA :D

Digger,

If this is the PLM we sent you then please let us take care of its replacement and thus save the southern CA from an atomic blast!

With kind regards,

Michel

I verified last night that the PLM could not control anything. I also tried to restore it to no avail (it trys for a few minutes and then says request failed).

Looks like I am the proud owner of a bricklinc as Sloop would say.

I will call SH tonight and see if they will exchange it. If they dont (not saying for sure that there will be a problem) you will read of an atomic blast over southern CA :D

This may be a long shot and you may have already tried this but read this post:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=582

I had a similar problem to what you are describing and Michel sent this link to me. At first I was like, yeah right?, but then I realized I had never actually seen the light on the PLM blinking. I looked at the pins and, sure enough, some were bent down. I used a folded paper clip to pull them up and it has worked great ever since. Anyway, when all else fails... get back to the basics.

-Jeff

This may be a long shot and you may have already tried this but read this post:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=582

I had a similar problem to what you are describing and Michel sent this link to me. At first I was like, yeah right?, but then I realized I had never actually seen the light on the PLM really blinking. I looked at the pins and, sure enough, some were bent down. I used a folded paper clip up pulled them up and it has worked great ever since. Anyway, when all else fails... get back to the basics.

-Jeff

I know that the RJ jack on PLM's is iffy at best. I will double check it before I call.

I agree going back to basics is usually the best method of troubleshooting.

Thanks!

Digger,

You do have a defective PLM. Again, I urge you to contact us if this is the PLM we sent you as you will not be able to replace it at SmartHome.

Thanks so very much,

With kind regards,

Michel

Well no Joy. I did notice that teh RX light on the ISY is on constantly.

I will drop you an email. I cant beleive that 2 out of 2 PLM's are bad. If you think I am just overloading it with to many links then there is no sense getting a new one until they fix the problem.

Digger: Been down that road! I had three bad PLM's before I got my current one. And, yes Virginia I now have a good one. I too was frustrated, but now I couldn't be more happy-Sounds like a good diagnosis for a bad PLM. MY last PLM death died the same painless death as yours. Same symptoms.

aLf

Archived