Change light behavior based on time

iostream212

What is the easiest way to change how a light behaves based on time? I would like different on levels and ramp rates based on time. I tried to make a program that changed activated different scenes based on time, but I didn't get good results. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

iostream212

Use the “Adjust Scene†Action to adjust the On Level and/or Ramp Rate of the Responder. Be sure to select the Controller that will be used to affect the device in question.

If the Local On Level and/or Local Ramp Rate is to be changed select the device for both the “In Scene†and “Set†parameters. Note that some devices must be power cycled for the changed Local values to have an effect which makes time based changes impractical.

If neither of these covers what you are looking for please post additional information.

Lee

This is an example of changing the Local On Level and Local Ramp Rate at different times of day. Times are obviously for test purposes only. At 6:37 PM the Local On Level is set to 60%. At 6:38PM the Local On Level is set to 100%.

If changing Responder values, the In Scene parameter would be the name of the Controller with the Set parameter the name of the Responder.

If

From 6:37:00PM

To 6:38:00PM (same day)

Then

In Scene 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' Set 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' 60% (On Level)

In Scene 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' Set 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' 2.0 Sec (Ramp Rate)

Else

In Scene 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' Set 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' 100% (On Level)

In Scene 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' Set 'SwitchLinc Dimmer' 8.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

This example has been tested and functional on 3.1.3 .

Hi IOStream

These are programs I've been using in my house - for a couple of years now.

The examples I'm giving you are for my On Suite Bathroom where the light is a Dimmer controlled by a Motion Sensor. IOW I've set up a scene where the Motion Sensor is the Controller and the Dimmer is the Responder. And based on the time of Day or specific events the Light's Brightness Level and Ramp Rate are modified.

For Instance:

While the house is sleeping the light level is low and the ramp rate is slow - for those late night bathroom trips - easy on the eyes.

During Breakfast, or after the house wakes up, the brightness level is back to normal(100%) but the ramp rate is slow - since your're still waking up.

At night, after sunset, bring up the lights to 100% immediately - until the house goes to sleep.

Program: Bathroom - House Asleep.

So basically, everyone has gone to sleep an there has been no motion in the house for a few hours. So the House goes to 'Sleep'. In my case 'VAR Bedtime-Main Floor' is a program set to TRUE when these things occur.

Or just go by time. ie 12am

The light is set to a low brightness level and slower ramp rate. For those "midnight runs"

If

Program 'VAR Bedtime-Main Floor' is True

Then

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 6.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 25% (On Level)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

=========

Program: Bathroom - Breakfast

In my case 'VAR Breakfast' is set to true when people wake-up in the morning and set off certain sensors.

Or just set a time: ie 7am - 9am

You get ready for work, or whatever now, but you are still waking up. That's why I decided to turn the lights on full but slowly.

If

Program 'VAR Breakfast' is True

Then

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 8.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 100% (On Level)

Else

=====

Here it's during the day and since I do have some sunlight coming into the onsuite next to the bathroom I don't have the light coming on to 100%

btw 'VAR Night Time' is TRUE between sunset and sunrise

If

Program 'VAR Breakfast' is False

And Program 'VAR Night Time' is False

Then

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 4.5 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 75% (On Level)

Else

======

Program Bathroom - Evening

It's after sunset and everyone is up

If

Program 'VAR Night Time' is True

And Program 'VAR Bedtime-Main Floor' is False

Then

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 0.1 Sec (Ramp Rate)

In Scene '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet-Sensor' Set '05.MB.Master.Bedroom / MB Toilet Main' 100% (On Level)

Else

Thanks for the detailed examples LeeG and Thruster999. I am excited to give it a try. I do like the idea of using a variable to track the different states of the house through out the day. How did you mount the motion sensor in the bathroom? I would love to use one indoors but they are a little bulky and unsightly. Thanks!

The master bathroom motion sensor is mounted in the bathroom above the entrance doorway. There is a slight delay in entering the motion sensor field of view but I did not want any false trips. I do not change the On Level based on time for the bathroom lights. They turn On at mid level with the ability to override the timed Off with a press of a KeypadLinc button. The override turns the lights On to full bright.

I've had a standard motion sensor built into a wall switch for the walk-in closet light for many years. Was not sure if a motion sensor for the bathroom lights was a good idea. I could not do without it now. As a side benefit the light bulbs last much longer.

• 1 month later...

I have just started messin around with the ' adjust scene' statement to control light behavior based on time. First off bravo. Works so well and is just plain neat to have that effect. I am wondering if there is another way adjust the scene as a whole, or if you have to set the ramp rate and brightness level individually for every responder in a scene. Also too reading up on my Insteon documentation I see that you can also turn off lights when activating a scene. This was a new thought to me. I always added lights to scenes to turn them on. Cool stuff!

There is no mechanism to change all responders in a Scene with a single statement. Each responder has to be updated individually as the On Level and Ramp Rate data lives in each responder.

Using a Scene On to turn Off devices by setting the On Level to 0% has been around for as long as I can remember. In the past this could be defined only by an application that could write a link record with a 0% On level. In the last year or two many devices now support this with Set button linking. The Off condition is locked into a responder prior to linking using the Set button.

The KeypadLinc does not support turning a Secondary button Off with a Scene On to 0%.. The KeypadLinc firmware turns a Secondary KPL button On with a Scene On command regardless of the On Level in the link record. The approach to KPL Secondary button control is to have them in a separate Scene. That way the Scene can be turned Off when the KPL button LED needs to be turned Off.

I do not have the SDK. Wish I did at times but have heard it does not always have the latest information. Do not want to be restricted by an NDA anyway. I do read everything I can find. Another wish would be that SmartLabs did not hold so much information confidential. Insteon is constantly changing/evolving, hard to stay up with new things. One thing for sure, the day one thinks they know Insteon something new comes along. Actually makes this fun. There are many folks on this forum and others whose willingness to share knowledge is so essential in an environment where the manufacturer keeps so much information secret.

iostream212

Use the “Adjust Scene†Action to adjust the On Level and/or Ramp Rate of the Responder. Be sure to select the Controller that will be used to affect the device in question.

If the Local On Level and/or Local Ramp Rate is to be changed select the device for both the “In Scene†and “Set†parameters. Note that some devices must be power cycled for the changed Local values to have an effect which makes time based changes impractical.

If neither of these covers what you are looking for please post additional information.

Lee

So the Adjust Scene will adjust behavior only in ISY scenes, and will OVERRIDE the local settings.

For local switch settings, you need to make the changes in the switch using the ISY admin interface, or use the SET commands, with possibly a power cycling for it to take.

I have not fiddled with these yet, it is a little confusing before you wade into it.

* Orest

• 2 months later...

Q here for those knowledgeable on "scene adjust"

Can I control on level of a scene that is directly called by a motion sensor ?

I have a scene "Sunporch" that contains four members.

2420M motion sensor

2486D keypadlinc dimmer button B

2485S keypadlinc relay button B

2476D switchlinc dimmer v.38 "SunPorchbyFR"

The switchlinc is wired to entrance way light. I have all four linked directly to this scene as controllers, motion sensor included as so there is no delay in turning on the light via ISY program.

What I would like todo is set "on level" for this scene to 10% during the daytime hours and at 50% or so during evening time hours.

I have programs below set and running ok but the actual on level of the light when motion sensor sets the scene on does not change.

In the admin consul clicking on Scene "SunPorch" I can see the On Level changing

but clicking on the member of that scene "SunPorchbyFR" the On Level [Applied Locally] does not change.

Was looking at using these two programs:

DayProgram

If

From Sunrise

To Sunset - 1 hour (same day)

Then

In Scene 'SunPorch' Set 'SunPorchbyFR' 10% (On Level)

Else

NightProgram

If

From Sunset - 1 hour

To Sunrise (next day)

Then

In Scene 'SunPorch' Set 'SunPorchbyFR' 50% (On Level)

Else

I have been successfully using nearly the same for a bathroom setup that dims at night however that setup has the ISY calling the scene when control of motion is turned on.

Thanks for any input.

J

junkycosmos

When you Adjust Scene the first parameter must be the Controller you want, in this case the Motion Sensor. The Responder values are unique for each Controller. Specifing the Scene name as the first parameter affects the Responder when turning the Scene name On in a Program or Admin Console. It does not affect the Reponder values associated with the Motion Sensor as Controller.

Lee

Thank you (again) Lee. Adjusted as you suggested and works.

I was thinking of this from a scene perspective and not who controls the scene level (the motion sensor).

Corrected day program

If

From Sunrise

To Sunset - 1 hour (same day)

Then

In Scene 'Sensors / SunPorch-Sensor' Set 'SunPorchbyFR' 10% (On Level)

Else

junkycosmos

You're welcome. Actually your thinking is not that off base. The ISY UI makes the single ISY Scene definition with multiple Controllers very easy. From an Insteon perspective that single ISY Scene is actually multiple independent Insteon Scenes. Each Controller represents a different Insteon Scene with its own unique Insteon Controller (Motion Sensor in this case) and set of Responders. Each Insteon Scene allows the Responder(s) to store On Level and Ramp Rate values that are associated with the Controller and unique to that Controller. The ISY UI makes it easy to assign the same On Level and/or Ramp Rate to each Responder with the "Apply Changes To All Devices" check box. Or each Responder can have a unique On Level and/or Ramp Rate for each Controller.

The ISY Scene UI is really a powerful piece of software.

Enjoy your new On Levels.

Lee

Note: there have been some problems with Adjust Scene leading to the corruption of a device link database. Beta release 3.1.10 has a fix for the problem and I recommend going to that image as soon as possible if Adjust Scene is being used on a regular basis.

Archived