KeypadLinc as controller not showing on/off status properly

rgn2000

I am totally lost. I have been searching and I just can't find an answer.

I just put in a KeypadLinc (6 button) as a controller only in a 3 way set up (no load). I am trying to link it to the other switch of the 3 way which I am fine with. It turns on and off no problem from the KeypadLinc. The problem lies when I turn off the lights on or off from my computer or from the actual switch with the load. The KeypadLinc does not update.

Basically I have set up a scene in the ISY and made both the KeypadLinc On/Off as the controller and the switch with the load as the controller so they are both controller and responder. It does not work. I have also tried the scene with setting up the KeypadLinc as the controller and the switch with the load as the responder and that does not work. What am I missing?

EDIT: It is only an issue when I use my computer (or phone). When I turn off or on the switch with the load it DOES update the Keypadlinc. So it is only an issue if I were to use my computer or phone. I guess the only way around it is to always use the scene to turn on or off? Is there a way for it to work by controlling the device from my computer or phone (or another ControlLinc)?

Thanks for any help.

That's how it is supposed to work. If you turn the scene on or off all members of the scene respond, whereas if you only control an individual device other members of the scene will be unaffected.

If you want a ControLinc button to control the scene as well, you only need to add the button to the scene as a controller.

Well I guess to me this doesn't seem right. Something is either on or off. I am still a noob, but how do you differenciate things for when controlling from a computer or phone? I guess you just have to remember that if you want to control a certain light you for some you have to make sure you hit the scene and others are ok to hit the device. Maybe the way around it is to create a scene for every device? That way you never control the devices?

That would be a waste of Scenes. It is consistent in that from an ISY Program or Admin Console, Direct device commands only control that specific device. Perhaps the difference that is not obvious is that at the specific device, there is no option, a button/paddle press is ALWAYS using a Scene. There is no way at an individual device button/paddle press to issue a Direct command for individual device control.

Only from a Program or the Admin Console or phone application (essentially same as Admin Console) do you have a choice of individual device control with a Direct device command or control all devices by controlling the Scene.

EDIT: to be clear, the differences between a Direct command and a Scene command are not arbitrary ISY choices, this is the way Insteon works. I think as more and more Programs are created the flexibility of using Direct or Scene commands will looked at as a positive of Insteon rather than an inconsistency.

Well I guess to me this doesn't seem right. Something is either on or off. I am still a noob, but how do you differenciate things for when controlling from a computer or phone? I guess you just have to remember that if you want to control a certain light you for some you have to make sure you hit the scene and others are ok to hit the device. Maybe the way around it is to create a scene for every device? That way you never control the devices?

Yes, I create scenes for everything I want individual control of, since as Lee says group commands are the way Insteon devices were designed to communicate. MobiLinc's interface handles things nicely and with the greatest flexibility. You can control the scene, and if you tap on the right arrow then below the scene controls you can see the state of and individually tweak each of the member devices. MobiLinc's Favorites feature is my personal favorite, since you can have the app boot up into that screen and quickly access your most frequently accessed scenes, devices and programs from a single screeen.

Even better, since the Favorites settings can be unique to each phone/control you use, you can customize Favorites settings to the user or device so you don't have to fumble through your basement or shop scenes if you pick up the iPod Touch sitting in the living room.

Archived