Status of individual devices within the scene

philipx

... when activated individually.

I'm pretty sure I'm going about this the wrong way, but I'm just curious anyway.

I have replaced a 3-way setup with 2 ICON switches and set each one up to be a controller for the other (from the devices themselves). It works just fine, and the ISY properly detected the scene.

However, if I use the ISY to turn either switch on or off from My Lighting, the light do turn on/off but the status of the other switch doesn't change. If I do it from the scene, it works well. The lights tell the story of the former case too. If I turn on the light on one of the switches from My Lighting, its LED goes off, but the LED of the other switch stays on.

I guess it makes sense because a device can be part of multiple scenes, but can somebody explain it anyway?

Is there a valid real-life use case for turning a switch on/off from My Lighting instead of turning on/off the scene it's part off? (Again I guess it you didn't want the whole scene on/off but just a single light).

philipx

What you are observing is normal Insteon operation. When devices are cross-linked (one ISY Scene with both devices as Controllers of the Scene) pressing the paddle on either switch causes Scene (Group) commands to flow to all the linked devices. Individual Insteon devices do not have the capability to send Direct commands to another device.

Only when an automation application is involved is it possible to send Direct commands. Direct commands do not use or require device linking. Direct commands work only on the device they are sent to. That is why when switch A is turned on with a Direct command switch B does not react even though switch A may be a Controller of switch B. Use Direct commands when individual device control is desired. Use the ISY Scene when all devices in the Scene should respond.

This is Insteon architecture, not an arbitrary decision by the ISY.

Lee

Thank you, it makes perfect sense. If anything I thought it was a welcome feature of the ISY rather than a limitation.

I was just trying to understand the mechanics of it and you've provided an excellent explanation. Thank you again.

Archived