Problem Setting up email notifications

Guest luv2kanu

Guest luv2kanu

Hi, just got my ISY and I have managed to successfully configure it and my router for remote access. I am now trying to set up email notifications, but I am having a problem entering email addresses. I go to the Settings/Groups tab in the admin console, then hit Add, I get a pop up window to Add/Edit/Remove Recipients. It won't let me enter anything. If I click on the "Recipients" line to edit it, I get an Error window popping up saying "Invalid Email Address". Can't seem to get past this. Can anybody suggest what I am missing or doing wrong?

I have v2.8.16 firmware. Thanks in advance,

Cheers,

Jeff

I tested this and get the same thing. I set mine up a while ago, so I had to refer to the wiki. Following the instructions, I expected to be able to add an email address when choose the "recipient" button in the "add/edit/remove recipient" dialog box. I also notice that the dialog box is a little different than in the wiki, lacking the option to "enter your full email address here@domain.com". Like you, I recieved an error message. Is it possible that this is some error in the ISY software?

Guest luv2kanu

Hey oberkc, thanks for verifying that I'm not the only one experiencing this issue.

Michel, I tried the link you supplied, but I just get the admin console with three tabs: Main, Programs, and Configuration.

The tabs don't actually do anything if I try to open them. I should mention that I am not currently connected to the local network with my ISY. I only have the remote connect for now, but I can access the admin console from there.

I'm using Win XP with Firefox. I have also tried Explorer, but I get the same result.

What should I try next? Is there any way to set the email notifications through telnet?

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest luv2kanu

Hi Michel,

I have tried clearing the Java cache, but I get similar results.

I'm guessing that this link won't work unless I run it on the local network with my ISY99?

If that is the case I won't be able to try it again until Friday unless there is way I can link this 3.1.6 version remotely to my unit.

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest luv2kanu

OK Michel,

I will give that a try.

We had a bad storm here and our power has been out since yesterday at 8:30 PM :( so it will probably have to wait until tomorrow before I can test it and report back.

Cheers,

Jeff

Guest luv2kanu

Hi Michel,

We finally got our power back after 22 hours.

Tried the 3.1.6 link with the cache cleared, but still no luck. I get "invalid email address" error when I try to add a recipient.

What can I try next?

Hello luv2kanu,

I am so very sorry for the delay.

At this point, I think it would be best to contact our support so that we would save you some time. Just to be clear:

1. You choose the notification type from drop down

2. You click on the Add button

3. You do see an entry listed

4. You update the entry and the hit enter on your keyboard

With kind regards,

Michel

Guest luv2kanu

Hi Michel,

I tried again this morning and somehow it seems to be working. I was able to successfully add an email address and send a test message. I wish I knew what was different. My next project is to try and get remote access working from my blackberry. I seem to be having certificate issues.

Cheers,

Jeff

• 1 year later...

Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but I had the same issue today and found a solution.

Like OP, when I attempted to enter an email address, no text box was displayed. Imagine the window shown on the wiki, just without the "Enter your full email address..." portion. I tried the other solutions from this thread to no avail.

Workaround:

1. Click on "Recipients" bar

2. Dismiss "Invalid Email Address" error

3. Delete button at bottom is now active; press this.

4. Add button is now active. Press and you get a text entry container as shown on the wiki.

Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...

Thanks Gary.

This is not a bug (perhaps a bad message but certainly not a bug). You are trying to sort an empty grid. So, the questions are: why would you be trying to sort an empty list? Why would you NOT click on the Add button instead? What is it in the UI that gives you the impression that you have to click on Recipients?

With kind regards,

Michel

In that dialog, "Recipients" is the only column header and does kinda sorta look like an elongated rectangular button. Dunno if its possible in the Java GUI to indicate sort Ascending/Descending with Up/Dn arrows on the column headers like in some other environments but if it is, that may help to clarify the purpose of that header. If there is a hidden ID# assigned to each recipient line, revealing that as another column like program or mvar ID's may make the headers more recognizable as headers. Also changing "Add" to "Add Recipient" may help steer new users toward the correct target.

I do have to say however, it took me a few re-reads of that post to find the error as I just always assumed that "Recipients" was just a column header and being that I've never had more than 2 recipients in that dialog, I had never felt the need to click it to sort before.

In any event, that error message needs to be changed to "That was Easy!" unless Staples has that trademarked.

-Xathros

To me, forms are filled in from the top down. Having Add at the bottom is one item that confused me.

Also, the "Recipients" is confusing. I did not know that was a sort button. I thought I had to click on it to add an email address.

• 7 months later...

Archived