Remote Link eats batteries

DBaldwin

Hello Dave:

Any idea what the fully "charged" voltage is for one of these "new" batteries? For "consumer' NH batteries, a fully charged single cell cell will be about 1.2v (rather than the minimum 1.5 volts for an alkaline).

I'm curious if these "new" batteries improve on this.

Thanks

It is 1.2v.

On the AA battery the specs are listed as 1.2V - 2100 mAh NiMH.

The package states that they are combatible with any modern AA or AAA battery charger. Walmart sells a package of 4 for about $9.00

Hello Dave:

Any idea what the fully "charged" voltage is for one of these "new" batteries? For "consumer' NH batteries, a fully charged single cell cell will be about 1.2v (rather than the minimum 1.5 volts for an alkaline).

Thanks

It is 1.2v.

On the AA battery the specs are listed as 1.2V - 2100 mAh NiMH.

The package states that they are combatible with any modern AA or AAA battery charger. Walmart sells a package of 4 for about $9.00

Hello Dave:

Thanks

One thing to watch for with rechargeables like this is the nominal charged voltage when the cells are run in series.

For instance, lets say that you have a device where the four cells are run in series. With alkalines, your nominal starting voltage with 4 cells in series will be 6.0 volts. For rechargeables, you will only be getting 4.8 volts. If these are powering a device that needs, say, a minimum of 4.0 volts to run, then you're getting pretty close to that even with a fully charged set.

This is the reason that consumer-level rechargeables don't work well for wireless microphones, etc. On the wireless mics that I use, they will start having problems once the voltage drops below around 7.3v. So, if I use a rechargeable NH "9v", the starting voltage is only 7.2v. With alkalines, I normally change batteries when they drop below 8v, so that the mics don't die when they are needed.

There are pro type rechargeables that you can't find in retail stores. The 9v in these types will charge to a full 9.6v, just like regular alkalines. But you pay way more for these type of batteries and chargers.

Interesting that you can't find these type at Walmart or other such stores, isn't it? Wouldn't this be environmentally desirable?

Best wishes,

Yesterday I replaced the batteries in one of my RemoteLincs with new 'normal' (Duracell) rechargeable batteries. The OEM batteries were about 3 months old and this remote sees more use than my others.

I use these same batteries (or Energizers) in my model train remote where heavy use can deplete the rechargeable batteries in two or three hours. Alkalines might have twice the life but that's a lot of batteries during a year.

I will keep tabs on the lifespan of the rechargeables in the RemoteLinc.

I don't really have any concerns about how long a rechargeable will Hold it's charge as long as it is more than a few days. It seems I always have one or two battery chargers plugged in.

Rand

• 4 weeks later...
Hello all:

Well, it's Sunday 1/20 (AFC Playoffs -- Go Patriots!), and my "black" RemoteLinc has just gone through another set of batteries.

I forget the date when I last replaced them, but it was between 1 and 2 weeks.

I'm noting this here, and I'll reply back again when the next set dies.

Here's an update: the last set of batteries on this remote lasted only until 2/9. Just shy of 3 weeks.

Well folks, back on 23 November I posted a response on this particular topic that my exchange of my Black RL fixed my problem. Here it is 1 day short of 12 weeks later and not only is my Black RL still working on its original set of batteries, but they all test "Good" on a battery tester.

The Silver RL that I have is at 15+ weeks, original set of batteries, and THEY test "Good" as well.

...GO FIGURE...!

I've also had my RemoteLincs go through a couple sets of batteries quickly recently. I ended up resetting them to factory defaults, then running a Restore Device on them. Also, every time I make a programming change on a RemoteLinc, after writing the changes, I pull the batteries for a few seconds to ensure it's not 'stuck' in programming mode.

I'm not sure if any of this has helped, but I've been running 4+ weeks now, and no issues yet.

I would agree that the problem is defective Remotelincs. I got tired of changeing batteries in one of my RL's while the other just keeps rolling along on the original batteries. I contacted SH and exchanged for a new silver RL. The old RL was going through a set of batteries every 6 to 14 days. It's replacement is still on the original set of batteries 6 weeks later. Yee Haa! One problem solved and out of the way.

Hmm, now why won't that scene trigger when I push the X10 button? :lol:

My Remotelincs are still on the batteries that went in when I got them, months ago, and still working perfectly. I would say those with short battery life have defective Remotelincs.

I would agree that the problem is defective Remotelincs.

I have the same problem of batteries being rapidly drained, with a little twist. Using ISY-26 I programmed two remotes, one silver and one black three months ago. Both went for three months on original batteries. Recently I reprogrammed them using ISY99, and now batteries last only three days in both remotes. I guess there is always possibility that putting remotes in linking mode several times might damage something in them, but the possibility also exist that ISY99 RLC interaction during programming is causing the problem.

Hi Blue,

Programming takes a lot away from battery life and thus your statement is 100% true. How long do they last without any programming?

With kind regards,

Michel

I would agree that the problem is defective Remotelincs.

I have the same problem of batteries being rapidly drained, with a little twist. Using ISY-26 I programmed two remotes, one silver and one black three months ago. Both went for three months on original batteries. Recently I reprogrammed them using ISY99, and now batteries last only three days in both remotes. I guess there is always possibility that putting remotes in linking mode several times might damage something in them, but the possibility also exist that ISY99 RLC interaction during programming is causing the problem.

Hi Blue,

Programming takes a lot away from battery life and thus your statement is 100% true. How long do they last without any programming?

With kind regards,

Michel

I had remotes in use for couple months on same batteries. I extensively reprogrammed them with ISY99, and batteries went bad in a day or two. I thought this was due to several linking sessions. However, the replacement batteries lasted only three days, and I did no programming with controls in the period of those three days.

I factory reset one remote yesterday, restored it, and then removed batteries from it for several minutes. I see if this helps.

but the possibility also exist that ISY99 RLC interaction during programming is causing the problem.

What I meant is that theoretically there is a possibility that programming remotes with ISY99 somehow puts them in some “perpetual linking mode†or similar misconfiguration, and that causes draining of batteries. Of course, you have much better insight into investigating this possibility, and better ways to check if this is true or not.

I just thought it significant that the same thing happened to two remotes under the same circumstances (programming with ISY99), and after long period of functioning on one batteries.

Mark

I think the power drain concern is not during programming, but it’s what happens after the remote has been programmed.

A good test might be; anyone who wants to get a new remote and NOT program it for a month or so and see if the remote chews up batteries.

Also another good test may be; to hand program a remote and let it go for the time period and see if it dies. This would help find out if it is from a controller (ISY, etc) programming the remote or just the remote.

Hello Mark,

You might be correct! I am going to check into this immediately!

What I know is that we do not alter the RL's default programming timeout in any shape or form (4 mins). I will ask our SH counterpart and ask for guidance.

With kind regards,

Michel

I had remotes in use for couple months on same batteries. I extensively reprogrammed them with ISY99, and batteries went bad in a day or two. I thought this was due to several linking sessions. However, the replacement batteries lasted only three days, and I did no programming with controls in the period of those three days.

I factory reset one remote yesterday, restored it, and then removed batteries from it for several minutes. I see if this helps.

What I meant is that theoretically there is a possibility that programming remotes with ISY99 somehow puts them in some “perpetual linking mode” or similar misconfiguration, and that causes draining of batteries. Of course, you have much better insight into investigating this possibility, and better ways to check if this is true or not.

I just thought it significant that the same thing happened to two remotes under the same circumstances (programming with ISY99), and after long period of functioning on one batteries.

Mark

Could THIS be our problem with short-lived batteries:

http://blog.smarthome.com/2008/02/25/file-this-under-trouble-shooting/

It seems to me that us ISY users probably use the RF repeater mode in the RL more than others...what with our finely crafted programs firing all day and night!

Joe

Could THIS be our problem with short-lived batteries:

http://blog.smarthome.com/2008/02/25/file-this-under-trouble-shooting/

It seems to me that us ISY users probably use the RF repeater mode in the RL more than others...what with our finely crafted programs firing all day and night!

Joe

When put into linking mode the RemoteLinc stays active for four minutes. I have never heard how long it stays active after sending a command. I believe it uses cleanup messages, but I have no idea how long it may keep listening.

Rand

This Remote might be listening to all the traffic more if it’s included in big scenes like "All Lights". If that is the case could there be some proper handshake or scene configuration (linking the remote last instead of first like the ISY does) that needs to be done to stop it from continually listening to the network?

If the RemoteLinc has not sent a command in x minutes it should time out. Since it has no load it cannot be controlled, therefore it makes no sense to listen for messages.

I believe it will repeat messages when active but that should not keep the RL from going to sleep.

I imagine that if one were to use the remotes a lot they may only get three weeks on a set of batteries. I have mentioned before that I get about four hours of continuous use on the remote control for my trains. 240 minutes divided by four would equal 60 button presses at four minutes a press.

Listening would use little power but sending and repeating could result in similar figures.

Rand

Well I got this remote from the Accesspoint upgrade. Because I mostly use my physical switches I don't often use the remote so I think I get about 1 to 5 buttons presses in the 3 week window the batteries last. So I don't think it’s from usage for my case, the batteries I put in last time got the one press test after battery insertion also died in 3 weeks. Something is not right, hardware or software is the question.

Well Mark, I received both of my RL's from the Accesspoint upgrade and had one that sucked the juice out of the battery very fast and the other is still on the original batteries. Every time I do a restore both units get put into link mode for the same amount of time. One of the two RL's reached a point where it was dieing in less than three to four days so I traded it in to SH for a replacement. The replacement is still on it's original batteries 6 weeks later and is getting the same useage as the old one. I think it has to be some defective components on the circuit board rather than a software glitch. Also if the ISY had something to do with it, then the replacement RL should have started to have problems.

Well I got this remote from the Accesspoint upgrade. Because I mostly use my physical switches I don't often use the remote so I think I get about 1 to 5 buttons presses in the 3 week window the batteries last. So I don't think it’s from usage for my case, the batteries I put in last time got the one press test after battery insertion also died in 3 weeks. Something is not right, hardware or software is the question.

I think it has to be some defective components on the circuit board rather than a software glitch. Also if the ISY had something to do with it, then the replacement RL should have started to have problems.

This lack of any consistent pattern is quite disturbing. I had two of RL working for months. I got them reprogrammed with ISY, and both are failing now. It might not be ISY issue, but based on my case it seems there is no guarantee the same thing is not going to happen in the future with the replacement RLs. Hopefully SH or UD figure out what goes wrong and correct the problem.

BTW, as a follow up to my previous post, my remotes are still draining batteries within three to five days after the factory resets.

Mark

Hi Mark,

We have communicated our concerns to SH and they are investigating it as we speak. I shall keep you all posted with the outcome.

With kind regards,

Michel

I think it has to be some defective components on the circuit board rather than a software glitch. Also if the ISY had something to do with it, then the replacement RL should have started to have problems.

This lack of any consistent pattern is quite disturbing. I had two of RL working for months. I got them reprogrammed with ISY, and both are failing now. It might not be ISY issue, but based on my case it seems there is no guarantee the same thing is not going to happen in the future with the replacement RLs. Hopefully SH or UD figure out what goes wrong and correct the problem.

BTW, as a follow up to my previous post, my remotes are still draining batteries within three to five days after the factory resets.

Mark

Archived