Garage Door and Ext Lighting Control

kaisersoze

Hello,

I am using:

KeypadLinc to control exterior lights (KeypadA) and garage door (KeypadB)

I/O Linc - INSTEON Garage Door Control & Status Kit

What I want:

1. When I come home at night and open garage door with my car garage door opener, I want my exterior lights to turn on as well

2. When I use my KeypadLinc to open the garage door, I don't want the exterior lights to turn on automatically (if I wanted them on, I could always turn it on separately)

My current program:

If

From Sunset

To Sunrise - 30 minutes (next day)

And Status 'Garage Door Contact' is On

And Status 'Ext Frontyard Lights' is Off

And Program 'Garage Door Opener Button Reset' is False

Then

Set Scene 'Front Yard Lights 1' On

Run Program 'Frontyard Lights On for 10 Minutes on Garage Door Opening2' (Then Path)

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Comments: Garage Door Contact turns on when garage door is open, turns KeypadB LED on. When I press KeypadB, the IO Linc NO relay closes momentarily like a regular garage door remote button (for some reason the status remains ON and so I wrote a program to turn it off after 10 minutes).

The current result:

1. When I open garage door with car remote, ext lights turn on as planned and then turn off in 10 minutes (program Opening2)

2. When I open garage door by pressing KeypadB, "Garage Door Opener Button Reset" turns "True" but ext lights still turn on and runs program Opening2 (which turns them off in 10 minutes)

Help Request:

How do I fix part 2? I want to keep the lights off if I open the garage from my Keypad from my house, i don't want to advertise to the neighborhood that I'm leaving. I am also open to an elegant alternative program that does the same thing.

When I open garage door by pressing KeypadB, "Garage Door Opener Button Reset" turns "True" but ext lights still turn on and runs program Opening2 (which turns them off in 10 minutes)

I wonder if this is a simple timing issue, but I am a little unclear what is "garage door opener button reset" and how it is activated.

My quick theory is that, when KeypadB is immediately pressed and the program is triggered, "garage door opener button reset" is false (initially). The program "else" statement runs as expected. At some point after that, "garage door opener button reset" turns true, but it is too late.

What if you put a wait statement (a couple of seconds) right at the beginning of the "else" path? If this solves the problem, this could confirm my theory.

"Garage Door Opener Button Reset" is a program that detects when the "Garage Door Opener Button" is turned ON. For some reason, even though its on Momentary C, the status remains ON long after the momentary contact is made. So I created a monitoring program "Reset" which detects the ON status, waits 5 minutes then turns it OFF. The program starts nearly instantly as soon as I pressed the KeypadLinc.

Last night I had tried a "wait 1 second" for the exterior light control since the reset program seemed to start running instantaneously and the garage contact takes additional second for the garage door to move enough to activate, but that didn't work. Today I just tried wait 3 seconds and that seemed to work fine. So I just have a 4 second delay on the lights (1 second for the garage door to move enough to turn the contact ON, then 3 seconds to check to make sure it wasn't pressed from the KeypadLinc)

Ideas for a more elegant solution would be welcome.

The I/O Linc Relay status will normally always be On. The ISY indicates the last command sent to the Relay which is normally On. The timer in the I/O Linc turns the Relay Off after the defined time when in any of the Momentary modes but the I/O Linc does not notify any of the linked devices of that action. Thus the Relay is Off but the ISY indicates On reflecting the last sent command. The Relay status cannot be used in ISY Programs as a result.

The I/O Linc Sensor should reflect whether the door is Open or Closed. The Sensor can indicate On or Off with door open. Depends on whether using the NO or NC portion of the magnetic switch and whether the I/O Linc Trigger Reverse option is set.

I wonder if it is as simple as status should be control (only execute once key is pressed)

I have a similar problem, but probably different. My sensor state does not update - I wonder if is is some of the settings on the IO linc.

E.g. I start up the console, and the sensor shows OFF. I run a query, and it updates to the correct state (which is ON). I have a program and it executes as if the state if OFF.

Christian

Panda88

When I/O Linc Sensor node Current State does not update either there are link record problems in the I/O Linc or ISY PLM or there are powerline issues with the I/O Linc location. A Restore Device will correct link record problems (if there are any). Sometimes fluorescents in the garage can interfere with Insteon signals or the distance is too far (which may can be fixed with an additional Access Point or filtering the device that is interfering).

The Query changing the Sensor node status can be either the result of the I/O Linc state change not reaching the ISY PLM (one of the two situations above) or it can also be the result of using Trigger Reverse I/O Linc option. Trigger Reverse reverses the On/Off commands sent by the I/O Linc Sensor on state change. Normally the I/O Linc sends On command when I/O Linc Sensor turns On. Trigger Reverse reverses the commands. An Off command is sent when the I/O Linc Sensor turns On. The problem is Trigger Reverse does not affect Query. Query returns the true state of the I/O Linc Sensor regardless of Trigger Reverse option.

Status versus Control has no affect in a Garage project. Control triggers when the Insteon command flows. Status triggers when the ISY tracked Current State changes. Current State reflects the last On/Off command from the I/O Linc Sensor.

Lee

Panda88

An easy way to determine if there is a powerline problem where the I/O Linc is installed is to move it to where the ISY PLM is plugged. Once there use a simple jumper wire between the I/O Linc Sense connection and GND to cause the Sensor to change state. Does the I/O Linc Sensor node now show Sensor state changes. If not the link records are likely compromised. A Restore Device should resolve the problem. If not delete the I/O Linc and add it back to the ISY. If the Sensor node still does not show state changes likely the I/O Linc is defective.

When the I/O Linc shows Sensor node state changes when plugged at the PLM move it back to the garage. If the state changes are no longer registered by the Sensor node there is a powerline problem.

Lee

Panda88

The I/O Linc sends an On or Off command as the Sensor changes state at which time the ISY marks the device Current State with the corresponding On/Off State. The ISY does not poll/query any Insteon device on a regular basis except for the 3 AM Query of My Lighting. At this time all devices are queried.

It should not be necessary to routinely query any device for its current status. Do all Sensor state changes fail to reach the ISY suggesting link record problem or an intermittent failure which would suggest a powerline communication issue.

Lee

Archived