Dual Band Switchlinc Relay

matapan

After being disappointed with how my older Insteon Switchlinc relay could not communicate effectively when there were four CFLs on the circuit and trying to figure out what the path of least resistance was to solve the problem without cutting unsightly holes or dealing with the lack of a neutral in the overhead cans to wire up a noice supressor, it hit me that a dual band device might take care of the issue. I bought a Dual Band Keypadlinc Relay last month to see if it would solve my issue. It did!

I had an interesting discussion with the fellow at the factory store, who suggested that more dual band devices would help address some other communication gremlins I'm dealing with. His answer was compelling: If your communication issues are on circuits with wall switches, adding more Access Points doesn't necessarily help because circuits with switches are usually not on same circuits as ones with plugs! Overcoming noise on a circuit involves having a bridge on that circuit capable of providing an alternate path for a signal to be sent and received.

That lengthy preface aside, will Smarthome be releasing Switchlinc relays and Outletlinc relays that are dual band soon? These are more useful to me than the dimmer versions.

If your communication issues are on circuits with wall switches, adding more Access Points doesn't necessarily help because circuits with switches are usually not on same circuits as ones with plugs!

In my home, light switches downstairs are on the same circuits as outlets upstairs, and vice versa. I added one Access Point upstairs (and a dual band plug-in), which seem to help resolve communication issues I was having.

Nice to know - thanks for sharing. It might be nice if some electricians chimed in here and described what is a common wiring practice with respect to receptacles and switches. Are they typically wired on the same circuit, or wired on two discrete circuits? What's the common convention?

I mapped every circuit in my house.

In my case no room was completely on the same breaker.

Sometimes you will even find some outlets in the same room. On different breakers.

I have some breakers controlling lights in multiple rooms.

I think part of it could be if you do trip a breaker. You may still have some lights in a room. On a different breaker.

Is it a common practice to segregate wall switches on a circuit from wall receptacles? If this is truly a practice electricians use, then using Access Points won't work that well for addressing Insteon communication issues like overcoming communication over noisy lines unless there are strategically placed dual band wall switches.

matapan

Wiring is NOT done such that all lighting circuits are on 120V leg A and all outlets are on 120V leg B. The total load of the house is balanced across the two 120V legs. Some lights will be on leg A, some outlets will be on leg A. Some lights will be on leg B, some outlets will be on leg B. I think the point being made was that on any given circuit breaker there may only be lights making it impossible to add a pluggable Dual Band device to that specific circuit. Not that the two 120V legs cannot be coupled with pluggable devices.

If a noisy powerline problem is trying to be resolved by adding Dual Band devices rather than eliminating/isolating the source of the problem, it may not be solvable with pluggable devices.

Lee

I think I wasn't clear in previous posts.

What I was trying to ask was if it is customary to create a circuit on one breaker that have nothing but switches, and another circuit on another breaker with nothing but receptacles. It has nothing to do with the phase/leg and how they're segregated.

Is this a common practice?

I can't say what present practice requires.

I do know in my house.

I have some breakers that are only lights.

Some are just outlets.

Some are a mixture of lights and outlets.

Many include multiple rooms on one breaker.

I have never heard of any code regarding mixing hardwired lighting fixtures (cans, chandalliers, sconces, etc) and outlets on the same breaker. I believe this is totally at the convenience and discretion of the electrician. The expected amp draw at each fixture is calculated and the electrician mixes things up as he sees fit so that you are unlikely to blow a breaker under normal use. Also, the electrician will do things to make his life easier (drill fewer holes and pull less wire) provided it doesn't violate the first goal. And remember, when the house is just studs, room divisions are not a concern. The electrician may want to wire a wall up to one breaker so everything on each side of that wall is on the same breaker, even though it is two rooms, if it makes for using less wire and less work.

Things like refridgerators and other appliances will be on their own independent breaker and I believe there are code issues with that.

I know in my house I have outlets and ceiling fixtures on the same breaker. My appliances all have their own breakers.

Archived