Cannot get Email or Time SMTP server to work

biredale

Sorry if this is replicated on this forum, I could not find anything on the search that solved my problems.

I am a new ISY-99i owner and seem to be having either a connection problem or a conceptual problem.

I have a red ! beside my SMTP Server label and get an error 'NTP Server DNS Error' when trying to sync clock with pool.ntp.org.

As for configuring email, I have tried the test/sample gmail account, my gmail account and my normal ISP account with no luck. Also getting 'Mail Server DNS Error'. I have confirmed my ISP SMTP Server and port along with TLS setting.

My router lists three DNS IPs, I have tried all three of them. I am in no way a network smart person and would very much appreciate any help I could get in this matter!

Thanks!

Hello biredale,

Apologies for the inconvenience.

The first thing I recommend is:

1. Go to Admin Console | Configuration tab | Network

2. Make sure DHCP is checked, click on Save and wait for ISY to reboot

If this solves the problem, then the problem is the DNS servers are you are using. What you might want to try is a public DNS server such as Google's (4.4.4.4 or 8.8.8.8).

If that does not work, then it means that your router is blocking ISY from getting on the Internet. What you would need to do is to make sure there are no MAC address filtering on your router blocking ISY traffic.

If you are still having problems, we'd be delighted to help you ... please contact our support and we'll go from there.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the prompt help..

After spending many hours trying many combinations of settings on router and within the software I got both the NTP and Email connectivity working. I wish I could definitively say what single thing I had to change to make this happen but I can't. I have a very complex home network with a great number of devices and custom configurations.

I am excited by the possibilities this device offers me.. Now for some automation programming. :roll:

Cheers!

Brian.

Archived