Cannot communicate with...

dismas

Cannot communicate with Int. Xmas lights (19 7A 64 1) please check connections.

That's the error that I've been getting the last couple days. I just installed the system a couple weeks ago. Added this new ApplianceLinc last week. It's been working up until just a couple days ago. I have a program to turn the lights on and off. Now the program will turn them on but not off. I've tried holding the button on the AL in for 3-5 seconds to see if that helped but it doesn't.

What I don't understand is why it's suddenly not working as it should when it was doing fine before. How do I fix this? The troubleshooting section of the manual doesn't seem to address this.

Thanks!

What type of load is connected to the ApplianceLinc? Often when a device will turn ON but not turn OFF the load being controlled is causing interference when powered. A different type of load such as a simple incandescent light can be tested to see if it is load related.

Also if there is a Wait in the Program between the On and Off Actions there could be an issue with reevaluation should the If conditions change. Post the Program.

Take a look at Programs | Summary. Check the Last Run Time and Status columns. Does it show the Program ran at 11:59 PM with a Status of False (indicating Else ran). If these are as expected the Program ran and communication with the device failed.

Try some manual On/Off commands through the Admin Console. Some LEDs can create enough interference when powered to interfere with Off commands. If they work reliably during the day look for something that is powered around that time that is not On during the day. Could be a phase coupling problem. Various 240v appliances could be running during the day may be coupling but are not running at midnight. What Insteon devices are used for phase coupling?

Analyzing intermittent communications problems (assuming it is a communications problem) are often a process of elimination.

I would definitely be trying the appliancelinc with a different load, for testing purposes. Some of the XXXXlinc devices require a minimum load. I have not had consistent luck with LED christmas lighting unless I have a LOT on one device.

Working from off --> on, but not on --> off, strikes me as a sign that the load is causing interference.

've tried holding the button on the AL in for 3-5 seconds to see if that helped but it doesn't.

Was there something in the instructions that suggested that this was a good idea? Not only would I be surprised if that did anything beneficial, but wonder if that could create new problems. Maybe I just forgot about the purpose of button pushes.

Where are you located? Has your heating system recently started running?

• 2 weeks later...
Take a look at Programs | Summary. Check the Last Run Time and Status columns. Does it show the Program ran at 11:59 PM with a Status of False (indicating Else ran). If these are as expected the Program ran and communication with the device failed.

Yep, that checks out. Last run time is correct. And with a status of False.

Try some manual On/Off commands through the Admin Console. Some LEDs can create enough interference when powered to interfere with Off commands. If they work reliably during the day look for something that is powered around that time that is not On during the day. Could be a phase coupling problem. Various 240v appliances could be running during the day may be coupling but are not running at midnight. What Insteon devices are used for phase coupling?

Manual On/Off commands work perfectly every time. That's how I turn the lights off. I go into the admin console and turn them off there.

Phase coupling? There isn't anything about this in the wiki. And with a search of the forums, I don't see anything that actually explains what this is. Just people talking about it without actually explaining what it is.

I can't think of anything that is consistently on or off that would cause any issues. The house is pretty tight (too tight actually), so the heat hardly ever runs. Though with it as warm as it has been lately, it hasn't needed to even if the house were as airy as a sieve.

Analyzing intermittent communications problems (assuming it is a communications problem) are often a process of elimination.

That's why the delay in getting back to you all on this. I haven't had the time to do any testing. Now that schools done though, I have a few days.

I would definitely be trying the appliancelinc with a different load, for testing purposes. Some of the XXXXlinc devices require a minimum load. I have not had consistent luck with LED christmas lighting unless I have a LOT on one device.

I have tried it with a small fan and this module works every time. Granted, I created a test program to do it. One that ran the fan for only a minute and then shut it off.

Working from off --> on, but not on --> off, strikes me as a sign that the load is causing interference.

There are some burnt out bulbs on the strands of lights, so would that cause interference? The single strand of lights that are outside have had zero problems.

Quote:

've tried holding the button on the AL in for 3-5 seconds to see if that helped but it doesn't.

Was there something in the instructions that suggested that this was a good idea? Not only would I be surprised if that did anything beneficial, but wonder if that could create new problems. Maybe I just forgot about the purpose of button pushes.

It's used to set the communications with the module, so I thought I'd give it a shot. When all you have is a hammer...

In other news, the chicken coop door motor that I set up and programmed last night didn't open the door this morning. The chickens were pissed and now I have another issue to sort out. I hope this trend of things not working as expected doesn't continue with every device I hook up. :x

Phase coupling is an Insteon requirement. Every device sales page and user guide discusses the need to couple the two 120V phases. Not an ISY thing. Most houses in the US have two 120V phases. When a device, like the PLM, puts an Insteon signal on the 120V phase the PLM is plugged into, to get to devices that are powered on the other phase the Insteon signal has to go out to the power company transformer and back on the opposite phase. This is normally unreliable at best to impossible. There are hardwired couplers that can be installed at the main power panel. A simpler approach is to use two Dual Band devices like Access Points to couple. They repeat Insteon messages over RF they see on the powerline. This effectively couples the two 120V phases. Look at the Smarthome documentation for more information on coupling.

Archived