Ramp Rate

klundy

I'm confused on how to use the ramp rate with the ISY.

I have a bed lamp plugged into a LampLinc (v.33). I control it with a non load key on a KPL Dimmer (v.36). A year ago, I had programmed this with HouseLinc to have a 8.5 second ramp rate. This is in a scene as I also have a remotelinc to turn this light on/off. Houselinc was deinstalled when I bought the ISY.

SWMBO suggested that the ramp rate should be a few seconds longer. No problem I thought. Came into the ISY, looked at the scene and it shows an 8.5 second ramp rate. I drag the indicator over to 30 seconds. Go test, and it takes only 8.5. I then right clicked the KPL button and did a "write updates" just to be sure, and no affect on the ramp rate.

So how do I increase the ramp rate?

Then a follow up question - is it possible to have a ramp rate only on "off"? In other words, instant on, 30 second off. I'm sure I can do it with multiple ISY programs, but can it be done natively?

ISY is at 3.1.15.

Thanks

Kevin

Below the ISY Scene name that establishes the KeypadLinc button as a Controller, select that KeypadLinc button. For that KeypadLinc button as a Controller all the Responder devices will be listed with the defined Responder On Level and Responder Ramp Rate values. Set the Responder Ramp Rate for the LampLinc to the desired value. The new value should be written to the LampLinc. After that pressing the KeypadLinc button should cause the LampLinc to use the new Ramp Rate value.

No (and yes). The On and Off commands honor the Ramp Rate. You can double tap the Controller button to generate a Fast On which will bring the Responder up quickly but it also brings it up to 100% On.

I think LeeG was getting at this, but you probably set the wrong ramp rate.

Make sure you are bringing up the scene by tapping the scene on the left hand side of the screen in the "tree". It will list all the ramp rates for each device in the scene at the bottom of the screen. Make sure the load device has the ramp rate you want. Typically I check the "apply to all" box as rarely do I want different devices in a scene to respond differently.

The problem is the Responder device that does not accept an On Level or Ramp Rate change is the KeypadLinc Primary load. A KPL firmware level of 2D and above is required for a Secondary KPL button to control the KPL Primary load control settings (same KPL). The KeypadLinc was added specifying the actual Device Type rather than using Auto Discover so the ISY has the KPL firmware level of v.00. Once the KPL is deleted and added back using Auto Discover the ISY will know the KPL firmware level and that it has the required firmware level and allow the changed values to be stored.

I'm confused here. I understood him to say that the lamplinc is the load device and that the keypad linc is the scene controller (non load button). My understanding of scenes is that the controller sends out a "scene on" command. Each responder (the lamp linc) has it's own internal instructions on what to do with that "on" command. Which would mean that the lamplinc has not accepted the proper ramp rate.

by the way, what is an SWMBO?

Sorry, I was not looking far enough back when you did your post. There was another post with a similar problem that was related to Secondary button controlling the Primary load of the same KPL. That has been resolved by adding the KPL back with Auto Discovery. I'm going to delete my earlier post this topic as it makes no sense.

Thanks Lee and Apostolakisl,

Ok, I fixed it thanks to your help. The one place I had not changed the rate, was on the KPL button under the scene hierarchy. I had only changed it at the actual scene level.

To me then, that begs the question - what is the difference in ramp rates at the scene level, and then at the scene controller level?

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed. Aka, the wife :lol:

To me then, that begs the question - what is the difference in ramp rates at the scene level, and then at the scene controller level?

With the ISY-99, scene level ramp rates (and on-levels) are those that are activated when the ISY-99 (PLM as controller) activates the scene, most likely through a program. The scene controller level settings are the ramp rates and on-levels in play when activated by that specific controller. This is one of the basic features of insteon...the ability to set different scene settings based on the controlling device.

Archived