DSC PC5401 serial interface support

cslee

I started this request a long time ago. I'm not going off at a tangent. I have a WHS runing 24/7, I'm also planning on running misterhouse to do things that UD does not. It will interface with all my RS232 stuff. I just need it to communicate with UD. misterhouse runs perl and can work in windows XP running Perl interpreter or compiled .exe

Before I started UD, like 8 yrs ago I was using misterhouse for a long time until I was fed up with X10. Now I'm on UD with insteon. It will be good to be able to bridge the two. I'm thinking of using X10 to do that but that's rather stupid...

Hi cslee,

You can use our web services to communicate with misterhouse. The main problem is that currently ISY does not have the means of communicating with anything else on the network. This will change soon.

With kind regards,

Michel

I started this request a long time ago. I'm not going off at a tangent. I have a WHS runing 24/7, I'm also planning on running misterhouse to do things that UD does not. It will interface with all my RS232 stuff. I just need it to communicate with UD. misterhouse runs perl and can work in windows XP running Perl interpreter or compiled .exe

Before I started UD, like 8 yrs ago I was using misterhouse for a long time until I was fed up with X10. Now I'm on UD with insteon. It will be good to be able to bridge the two. I'm thinking of using X10 to do that but that's rather stupid...

Hi cslee,

I see your point. I am not sure how you envision communicating with Misterhouse.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Yes you have told me about webservices. I'm however not so software centric but rather hardware centric. I can hack a lot of hardware and script but I'm not sure how to even start with webservice and misterhouse.

I envision misterhouse will monitor my alarm panel and report zone open/close and arm/disarm status to ISY, or even tell ISY directly what it wants ISY to do. E.g. last motion on zone2 detected 15 mins ago, ISY turn off living room light. Or, garage-door open, ISY turn on garage light. and when garage door closed and garage entry door closed, wait 5 mins, ISY turn off garage light. Instead of adding $$$ of wireless insteon sensors, why not get status from alarm-panel.

Hi cslee,

I do agree with you but we still have to figure out how misterhouse communicates with ISY. Currently, the best mode of communications with ISY is through the utilization of web services.

With kind regards,

Michel

I envision misterhouse will monitor my alarm panel and report zone open/close and arm/disarm status to ISY, or even tell ISY directly what it wants ISY to do. E.g. last motion on zone2 detected 15 mins ago, ISY turn off living room light. Or, garage-door open, ISY turn on garage light. and when garage door closed and garage entry door closed, wait 5 mins, ISY turn off garage light. Instead of adding $$$ of wireless insteon sensors, why not get status from alarm-panel.

Michel,

I researched and found out that misterhouse supports SOAP. Below is a perl script example. Does it makes sense to you?

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# soapcgi.pl

#

# Requires: SoapServer.pm, WebServices.pm, SOAP::Lite

#

# This is the cgi-like interface to the web services soap server

# It transfers http requests to the SoapServer module.

# The urn(s) for the web service is determined by the setting in this

# file. Eventually this file will also be used to do the authorization.

#

# Created: 8/10/2006 Mike Wiebke mw65@yahoo.com

#

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# couple of global variables to retreive the information from the http request

use vars qw(%Http $HTTP_CONTENT %HTTP_ARGV);

# include the two modules for the server and the interfaces

use SoapServer;

use WebServices;

if ($main::Debug{soap}) {

my ($key, $header);

while (($key, $header) = each %Http){

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", "$key $header";

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", "$ENV{HTTP_QUERY_STRING}";

}

}

my $server = SoapServer->new();

# This call tells the server which module to pass the call to for each namespace.

# You can have multiple namespaces but it's a one to one relationship. So you

# need a package for each namespace. You can also specify that a namespace should

# go to any package in a particular directory or to a specific function in a package

# see the SOAP::Lite documentation for more info

$server->dispatch_with({'urn:mhsoap' => 'WebServices'});

$server->objects_by_reference('WebServices');

my $results = $server->handle($ENV{HTTP_QUERY_STRING}, \%Http);

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", $results if $main::Debug{soap};

return $results;

Hi cslee,

Ok, we are now on to something:

1. Misterhouse supports Perl

2. There's a Perl SOAP package

3. Someone has already used it to communicate with ISY ( http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1673 )

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

I researched and found out that misterhouse supports SOAP. Below is a perl script example. Does it makes sense to you?

# --------------------------------------------------------------------------

# soapcgi.pl

#

# Requires: SoapServer.pm, WebServices.pm, SOAP::Lite

#

# This is the cgi-like interface to the web services soap server

# It transfers http requests to the SoapServer module.

# The urn(s) for the web service is determined by the setting in this

# file. Eventually this file will also be used to do the authorization.

#

# Created: 8/10/2006 Mike Wiebke mw65@yahoo.com

#

#---------------------------------------------------------------------------

# couple of global variables to retreive the information from the http request

use vars qw(%Http $HTTP_CONTENT %HTTP_ARGV);

# include the two modules for the server and the interfaces

use SoapServer;

use WebServices;

if ($main::Debug{soap}) {

my ($key, $header);

while (($key, $header) = each %Http){

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", "$key $header";

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", "$ENV{HTTP_QUERY_STRING}";

}

}

my $server = SoapServer->new();

# This call tells the server which module to pass the call to for each namespace.

# You can have multiple namespaces but it's a one to one relationship. So you

# need a package for each namespace. You can also specify that a namespace should

# go to any package in a particular directory or to a specific function in a package

# see the SOAP::Lite documentation for more info

$server->dispatch_with({'urn:mhsoap' => 'WebServices'});

$server->objects_by_reference('WebServices');

my $results = $server->handle($ENV{HTTP_QUERY_STRING}, \%Http);

logit "$config_parms{data_dir}/logs/soapdebug.log", $results if $main::Debug{soap};

return $results;

• 5 months later...

Okay, with the new network resource, I think to do this is quite easy. But I'm not sure to get the ELK-IP232 or smarthome seriallinc. What I want to do is to decode the PC5401 serial stream and pickout event's like ARM/UNARM and set some scenes. Anyone have any idea how this can be done? another thing I want to do if the system is ARM'd and the garage door is still open (using triggerlinc) after 5 mins, send me a SMS/email....

I also want to detect living room motion sensor and turn off living room lights if there's no motion for 20 mins.

There are many possibilities with the alarm integrated. Any opinion is welcome on using either ELK or smarthome.

This is exciting news. I too have a DSC alarm and would love to integrate it with the ISY. I have considered the Elk m1 gold unit, but cost, and the fact that I have a perfectly good working alarm system installed already have kept me from taking the plunge and buying a new one.

Just chattd on smarthome forum, it seems that seriallinc will work and it's just easy to create commands to match the serial stream from PC5401 and send INSTEON group commands. Now where's the smarthome coupon when I need one.

Please keep in mind that, at the moment, the ISY's Network Resources is only able to SEND commands - not react to received commands.

The ISY does not currently support the SeriaLinc. Manually creating links between devices that the ISY is managing may cause issues and is not recommended.

well right now I want DSC to send information to ISY.

The e.g. messages are

609 001 --- zone 001 open

610 001 --- zone 001 closed

601 1 002 --- zone 002 partition 1 has gone into alarm

602 1 002 --- zone 002 partition 1 alarm has been restored

652 1 --- partition 1 armed

655 1 --- partition 1 disarmed

• 9 months later...

Looks like the DSC 5401 has been replace by the IT-100 interface, still serial.

There's an Web Service IT-120 too, but it looks like it connect to custom software only.

I'd love to see generic send/receive serial support added to the ISY.

I could pretty much get my house to grab me a beer after that.

Well I just ordered an IT-100 and already have the network module so I'm half way there.

I'm thinking of ordering this guy instead of the ELK adapter, it's on eBay for half the price:

http://www.hexin-technology.com/RS-232_ ... t-252.html

Michel,

Is there anything in the WSDL that I can you to enable/disable or otherwise set programs, so that I can use them as flags?

That way (until the network module goes 2-way) I can send via the module and "recieve" via .Net app on a computer that would set program info in the ISY.

Any recommendations?

Archived