IOLinc Garage Relay and ISY99IR Pro

watchdog507

stillen_i30

The I/O Linc Relay is set for Momentary C mode. The ON command issued when the KPL button is pressed On works only when the door is closed and I/O Linc Sensor is Off. Stopping mid movement the I/O Linc Sensor is still On as though the door is fully Open. Try Momentary B which will cause the Relay to turn On regardless of the Sensor state.

I do not use that Wiki example so I cannot say if there are other implications using Momentary B with your configuration.

The other approach is to ignore the situation. How often do you use the emergency stop capability of the door opener? May not be worth scrambling an otherwise working solution.

Lee

I stop the door half-way or partial way to air out the garage or if I didn't need to open it all the way. I do this via the control (KPL, factory remote, etc). It is when I use the KPL that the light turns off, turns back on again (door doesn't move), then press same KPL button a 3rd time to get the door to close.

I suspect something is not right with my setup. I have two garage doors and have the garage kit on both of them.

The instructions packed with the kit say to use the green and black wires. I did that but my sensor kept saying the door was open when it was in fact closed. Then I used the black and red wires and now the sensor reads correct (off for closed, on for open). However, my relay reads random things, sometimes on, sometimes off. I'm momentary C and no other options checked (no reversal, etc).

Many times, my sensor will say door is closed (off) but the relay will be "on", this usually happens when I use a remote other than the insteon one (usually happens when I use the factory remote).

Today, I pressed "off" on my ISY control panel and despite being in Momentary C, the garage door opened. I know we're not supposed to use direct commands but that was weird.

However, my relay reads random things, sometimes on, sometimes off. I'm momentary C and no other options checked (no reversal, etc).

Many times, my sensor will say door is closed (off) but the relay will be "on", this usually happens when I use a remote other than the insteon one (usually happens when I use the factory remote).

I don't worry about relay status in the ISY. It has no impact on operation, in my mind.

I understand the relay is a responder-only device, lacking the capability to broadcast status. Given this the ISY will display the status last known, which was usually that which was transmitted by the ISY or as part of a scene. It may, or may not, reflect actual status.

"Then I used the black and red wires and now the sensor reads correct (off for closed, on for open)."

The red/black combination uses the magnetic switch that is electrically open (not making connection) when the door is closed and electrically closed (making contact) when the door is open. This means Green LED Sensor will be On when the door is open, Off when the door is closed. What the Sensor node in the ISY shows depends on whether Trigger Reverse is used or not.

Stopping the door half open looks the same to the Sensor as being completely open. The only way to achieve the KPL response you are looking for is to install a second magnetic sensor that is activated when the door is fully open. That way the combination of sensors indicate closed, part open, fully open. With that knowledge the ISY Programs can be written to show the door still open even thought the command to close the door was given which actually used the emergency stop capability and stopped motion half way through the cycle. Without the additional sensor it is not possible to differentiate the partial open from the full open.

Archived