insteon signal strength detector?

johnnyt

Is there a cheap plug-in signal/noise strength detector out there to tell you when there's activity at the 131 KHz frequency of insteon? I remember borrowing one for X-10 (120 Khz?) from the contractor that helped me set up my HA when I first got into it 12 years ago. It was very effective at helping me identify/fix weaknesses, including noisy appliances.

I didn't find anything at Smarthome but maybe I didn't use the right search words. Are there other places to look for this kind of thing?

I also have not seen one specific to Insteon.

My JV Engineering XTBM does show noise up to .99 volts and reads out the frequency of the noise. I don't remember its range but know it will go to 131.65KHz. It also reads out signal voltage to 9.99 volts and will many times call an Insteon signal noise or show an I for Insteon as it is aware of Insteon.

I have and use the x10 pro XPTR which is a signal strength meter for x10...in particular it looks for an x10 address of P1 On and Off codes. Its range is 25mV to 2V and has helped me locate a number of signal suckers. I set a program in ISY to send an On then an Off every second and repeat for ever, then walk around plugging it in all over the house. It has worked out great. You can actually see the signal voltage increase on the meter when you unplug a sucker, then decrease back down when its plugged back in. It even helped me figure out which leg of my new (at the time) clothes dryer was a sucker! It wasn't cheap though, I don't remember what I paid for it but they are going for about $100 and up on eBay now.

I also have an Elk Automation ESM1 signal meter for x10 which has an LED bargraph showing noise or x10 activity on the 0.1V to 5V scale. I think I paid about $75 on eBay a few years ago.

My feeling is if it is a signal sucker or noise maker and its going to affect x10 - more than likely its going to affect Insteon as well. Although both of these meters have served me well if I had to choose between the 2 I would pick the XPTR. The ESM1 is nice because it will show noise or comm., but you don't really know if its comm. or noise. And to be honest I have never seen noise in my house with it, problems have always been signal suckers. The XPTR requires the P1 On and Off comm. so at least you know its a legit transmission.

Anyway thats my ramblings for today!

Tim

I have and use the x10 pro XPTR which is a signal strength meter for x10...in particular it looks for an x10 address of P1 On and Off codes. Its range is 25mV to 2V and has helped me locate a number of signal suckers. I set a program in ISY to send an On then an Off every second and repeat for ever, then walk around plugging it in all over the house. It has worked out great. You can actually see the signal voltage increase on the meter when you unplug a sucker, then decrease back down when its plugged back in. It even helped me figure out which leg of my new (at the time) clothes dryer was a sucker! It wasn't cheap though, I don't remember what I paid for it but they are going for about $100 and up on eBay now.

I also have an Elk Automation ESM1 signal meter for x10 which has an LED bargraph showing noise or x10 activity on the 0.1V to 5V scale. I think I paid about $75 on eBay a few years ago.

My feeling is if it is a signal sucker or noise maker and its going to affect x10 - more than likely its going to affect Insteon as well. Although both of these meters have served me well if I had to choose between the 2 I would pick the XPTR. The ESM1 is nice because it will show noise or comm., but you don't really know if its comm. or noise. And to be honest I have never seen noise in my house with it, problems have always been signal suckers. The XPTR requires the P1 On and Off comm. so at least you know its a legit transmission.

Anyway thats my ramblings for today!

Tim

Tim,

Much thanks for the quick summary.

Teken . . .

Archived